Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Cards

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

well directx 9 support is a must have. would doom3 even be playable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Doom 3 is direct x 8 as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

??? inlikley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ok these guys are talking through their holes, get a GF4 ti 4200 for just over 100 euro, and that'll play Doom III.
    Ram is the key, get 2X PC3200 256 dual channel (twinmos) ram. THAT'LL be the deciding factor in Doom3. That coupled with a xp2000 will get you over 30 fps constant in DoomIII with medium detail. Super playable for single player games.

Ram http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=30892&t=1014&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=17&GrpID=9&s=pl

PS. GFX cards with more ram, might be slower that the same version with less ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

thanks Giblet :rolleyes: .... which hole would that be :D

I think this is slow turning into a religous battle here... I will stick to my line cause I only just bought a card and it is Gainward FX 5600 256MB Ultra for 200 E's from KOMPLETT.IE. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sorry Giblet, but I really think that a GF4 ti 4200 is a waste of money... I know I will be acused of taking through orifices again... but is my belief and you should respect me for it :D ...

Raz... totally take your point on 600 E's being a waste of money. I think these card are inteded for blokes who aren't too well hung :D:D:D ... or just total gaming nerds that can afford this stuff (I can;t be one of those cause I have feed kids too... dam :D).

The Duke : ))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

TheDuke,

Calm down. Giblet is right. I've used both cards and while the 5600 is a little bit better (and offers DX9 compatibility) the GF4 Ti4200 is a killer card for the price.

It's not down to belief. It's down to facts, and performance. If you have the money, get something better, but he's already said he hasn't so the GF4 is a good choice (if you can get it).

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Hi koneko ... I am totally calm... just having a little fun...

I think it's time to go for a Quake thread and really let loose :D:D:D

Anyhow, don't mind fact... they only confuse matters :p:p:p

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by weemcd
    ps. what new pc did you get bazH?, you told me one day u were gettin a shutle.

I`m using a work machine here - p4 2ghz, 256mb ram, 20gb (500gb mapped), 15" TFT

I`m in the process of getting a shuttle s45g - here

Back on topic now, the GFX card thing, saying you need the latest and greatest card is utter ****e, see different strokes for difference folks.

My girlfriends machine is a p4 1.4ghz and a GF2 GTS, plays all modern games, i dont see what the problem is. Buying a new card before your old one is knackered is a bit stupid. The thing 9200 with 256mb ram is that the ram is clocked at a lower speed. The best idea is to go with card that you can afford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

there are so many misinformed souls here that its not funny

The amount of ram on most Gpus makes f all difference, you'd be hard pressed to tell me the difference an extra 64mb makes on a ti4200 if i didnt tell you.

that said 128mb is slowly proving to be slightly better on fast cards ala the 9700

however if u look at reviews comparing the 256mb 9800pro to the 128mb card nearly all them say the extra memory is a waste and makes little difference

if im correct the radeon 9200 is the equivalent to the old 8500 maybe with x8 agp support (another feauture that makes no difference) i would hazard a guess that the 256mb card has very low clock speeds (maybe im wrong) if it does id be willing to bet that a 64mb 8500 @275/275 would be better for games than a 256mb 9200 @ 250/200

big numbers are generally to fool the misinformed look at reviews before u buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Bazh get ur sn45g from www.gemma.co.uk, lot cheaper than anywhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by Cyrus
    Bazh get ur sn45g from www.gemma.co.uk, lot cheaper than anywhere else

Gemma don`t look like the most professional service going.

Advertisement