Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doom 3 slipping?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think you will see a lot of FPS's either slipping or being rushed out early because of HL2. It happened before with HL. I think this will probably be to do with the xbox version as well. It's funny though since ID have usually been very good with getting a game out in time for a release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah, its obviously a response to HL2, that game just seems to be year ahead of anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Shudn`t we be blaming Raven not ID

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I doubt they're feeling any "heat", or else they would put it out early! More likely they're just taking their time with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I think whether or not its ready, its probably mutually beneficial to BOTH developers to not release in the same quarter... they'd be treading all over each others market.

I was wondering which one I'd choose... this makes it easy.. I'll take both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Could be they saw the promotioinal footage of HL2 and thought "Hey that's cool, lets put some of that into Doom3!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Originally posted by bazH
    Shudn`t we be blaming Raven not ID

i thought id were developing doom 3.....raven are doing quake 4

Anyone with any sense would buy both games. It's not like buying a console games i.e very expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're right Spike. Although we can't blame anyone since it's an good business move by ID. If I had to choose between HL2 and Doom 3 I wouldn't have to think about it. HL2 all the way although I've enough moola to get both.

Well Retr0 you've slated DoomIII from the start, so that doesn't surprise me.

• Advertisement

I'm actually looking forward to it far more now after seeing the new videos. It looks like a game now instead of a graphics demo. Just hope the guns get a little more interesting. Thank god ID got some new animators and art guys.

Paul Steed was a genious, i'd say it would be better if he was there. Fired because he sided with John Carmack.
    Have you not played the Alpha, crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

yeah it looks deadly, seems like it is going to be very atmospheric as well!!!

Paul Steed was a genius but there was no art direction in Quake 2 or Quake 3. I didn't like the style at all. It was just some sci fi setting made up by a bunch of nerds. The guns and enemies had no character (except the rail gun).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

One would have to think id are a bit worried about Half Life 2.

Do you not think that John Carmack has known about Half-Life 2 since the project started, and has probably played it?

Originally posted by Giblet
    Do you not think that John Carmack has known about Half-Life 2 since the project started, and has probably played it?

Nah, he wouldn't have played it. Valve and id are deadly rivals. But you're right, he probably has known that it was in development (I mean, c'mon, they were ALWAYS going to do a HL2)

er...well considering that no-one knew about it till a coupla weeks (or months whatever) ago and it was kept so well under wraps...

No-one in the public........

Originally posted by Giblet

Yes, I’d say so, but I don’t know about him playing it. That doesn’t mean id aren’t worried about HL2 or how it’s getting more attention then their upcoming titles.

Edit: People are also getting more excited about HL2... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106228&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I don't see how either game would suffer sales due to the other. People are spending thousands of pounds getting their systems up to scratch. It's idiocy to think they'd only buy one game.

I think the real results are going to be on the long term. Quake 3 and Half Life have been selling solidly for years now. Somehow though, I don't think Doom 3 is going to be as enduring.. maybe.

I tend to buy games when I know I'll have a little time to spare... and so I tend to buy one to last a few months. Having two great games in my favourite genre come out simultaneously messes with my head (and my sleeptime, and the quality of my work etcetc :) )

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    I don't see how either game would suffer sales due to the other. People are spending thousands of pounds getting their systems up to scratch. It's idiocy to think they'd only buy one game.

Hmm, I didn’t even mean to hint at sales.

However let’s say two big games came out within a month of each other only a fool would say one wouldn’t affect the other. (Partly proven by the above comment by glimmerman)

yea but people are bound to buy the both of them anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Didnt half life force dakitana to be rushed even more when it was obviously not up to scratch or did people just say that because it was so woefully overhyped?

Daikatana was definitely rushed because of HL and the same with Sin. Both seemed very unfinished. Sin was really buggy and Daikatana was badly balanced and just plain crap.

Not everyone can afford two games every month. Poor Joe Soap would have a choice between HL2 and Doom 3 and would definitely pick up HL2. If it came out a while later them it's a no brainer to pick up HL2 and save for Doom 3.

Originally posted by Retr0gamer

Not everyone can afford two games every month. Poor Joe Soap would have a choice between HL2 and Doom 3 and would definitely pick up HL2. If it came out a while later them it's a no brainer to pick up HL2 and save for Doom 3.

There is no way you would know what would sell more.....

There is no way of knowing. However if I was a betting man I'd put a large fortune on HL2 selling far more than Doom 3. Just look at the poll somewhere else on this board. If it's a choice between HL2 and Doom 3 then most people will get HL2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Originally posted by monument
    However let’s say two big games came out within a month of each other only a fool would say one wouldn’t affect the other. (Partly proven by the above comment by glimmerman) [/QUOTE]

Yeah that may be true but when the dust settles anyone who likes pc gaming in any way will have both. In the long run I think HL2 will sell more because of the better engine but we'll have to wait and see what id can come up with in the meantime.

Can't wait for HL3, photorealistic characters is 2-3 years away?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I think if Doom 3 turns out to be the game everyone hopes it will be, then HL2 won't make any difference. The average game might be effected by competition from siimilar titles, but a truely great game will sell very well regardless. If Doom 3 turns out to be great game (not certain yet), even if some ppl can't afford to buy 2 games at the same time, then will still come back and buy it a month or 2 later

Advertisement