Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with an unstable system

• 23-07-2003 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just put together a pc, and am having problems with stability. It only does a few 3dmark2001 tests before stopping up. Stops up after a while in the desktop.
    I put it together from bits of other pcs, and each component had been working within the last month: Duron 1.2ghz, Asus A7V, 2x128mb PC133 ram, Geforce 2 mx gfx, old 1 gig WD Caviar hd, floppy, cd drive.
    The cpu temps are around 50C, so not too bad, but the graphics card gets very hot to touch even in the desktop. Also, stability improved when I chaged the ram for 1x128mb PC100.
    Any ideas where the problem lies?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

flash try this programme

Prime 95 just do a google for it, this stresses cpu and memory but not the gpu so with it u can eliminate the gfx card as the problem, if this runs stable for 4 hrs or so u can pretty much take it the cpu and memory subsystem is okay

to check the memory further there is a programme called metest86, another excellent programme, it boots on a bootable floppy and tests ram for errors, try running it for an hour with the two sticks in to see of the ram is the problem

if both of those are okay then it has to be the gfx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Flashman

Cheers cyrus, I'll give that a go and see how it turns out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I would remove everything the machine doesn't need to boot and all but one stick of ram and see what happens then start adding the parts back in has worked for me in the past. If i'm not using a componant or card i take it out of the machine and re-install it if and when I need it I find it makes for a stable machine.

Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The cpu temps are around 50C, so not too bad, but the graphics card gets very hot to touch even in the desktop.

I would of thought that was your problem, gfx card overheating and crashing/freezing,i wouldent of thought a GeForce2 mx would put out that much heat but try slappin a 40mm fan on the heatsink ( if it has one ) and that should sort you out.

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

As redshift says, take out everything non-essential. Also move the memory around into different slots, this can make a major difference to stability. Make sure the memory timings are set to slowest. Try and find a different graphics card to try and eliminate that as the source of the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement