Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We have fibre rings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

*waits for adam to accuse the committee of protecting their own/ganging up on him* ... :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Grow up MDR.

Dave, I know Muck's a bit of a, erm, muckraker, but every announcement I've seen has seen a post by him shortly afterwards saying: Eh, no, he's just announcing the start of the project. Is there any fibre in the ground?

[EDIT: Lit fibre!]

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

As far as I know, there may not actually be any fibre pairs in the ducts yet the ducts and access points are under construction and have been completed in some target towns.

I guess the MSE will have some hand in the decisions relating to the splicing of the fibre when it is selected. Once the ducts are in place its a fairly straight forward process ( though I could be proven wrong on this I guess) to push through the fibre.

The newsletters on the www.dcmnr.ie/mse (Page 3 June 2003 ) site show the progress in some towns and explain the construction for some of the access and break out points. The pop dimensions and facilities are also mentioned in the newsletters, though I am not certain if pop facilities will be completed until the MSE is finalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

/me Calibrates Handbag for this one and stands firm at 20 paces.

Re: the Galway Fibre

1. Ahern comes to Galway on Pimping expedition March 2003
    2. Muck see digger digging a bit of a trench March 2003
    3. Muck sees digging scaled up with multiple gangs June 2003
    4. Muck sees lad pulling fibre into newly installed duct June 2003

Muck is satisfied that there is INDEED fibre in the ground.

Muck expects the whole job to finish around October/November at the rate they are working on it.

Tips to spotters.

If you see a gang digging trenches then look at the tubing/pipes they intend to install in the trench.

AFAIR

1. Yellow = Gas
    2. Green = Telecoms / Fibre
    3. Pink/Red = Electricity
    4. Blue = Water
    5. Grey = Gravity Sewage
    6. Black = Pressurised Sewage

EDIT

(Adam, Eircom is 30% Irish Owned, Each Biddy is in for €70k of equity or thereabouts) . The rest is mainly owned in New York or in a Tax Haven in the Caribbean (O'Reilly). YOu may not have known it but Biddy herself voted to move it to the UK so that the ESOP could cash in.....and you thought Biddy was clueless :D )

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

hmm that map says the fibre rings out my way, yet ive seen no diggers etc etc, also it looks like thats running under the main dunmore road. if thats the case then theyre gonna have to dig an awful lot of road out here to put it in

regards

shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Lads,

FYI - Limerick - 44Km in length, + approximately 7Km for drop connections into end users

New South Ring Road accounts for 9Km of trunk and is being done by the road contractor

Progress is good: 14Km construction completed in Limerick (Ducts and Chambers).

Fibre will be put in last for insurance and damage reasons.

The POPs will be completed well before the MSE arrives.

thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

"POPs" ?

What do you mean by that, a Point of Presence? A structure with equipment in it?

There is only one co-location centre for each ring, except Cork and Ballina with two. Connections to 'end users' are by fiber into the buried chambers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Muck
    /me Calibrates Handbag for this one and stands firm at 20 paces.

Re: the Galway Fibre

1. Ahern comes to Galway on Pimping expedition March 2003
    2. Muck see digger digging a bit of a trench March 2003
    3. Muck sees digging scaled up with multiple gangs June 2003
    4. Muck sees lad pulling fibre into newly installed duct June 2003

Muck is satisfied that there is INDEED fibre in the ground.

Muck expects the whole job to finish around October/November at the rate they are working on it.

Tips to spotters.

If you see a gang digging trenches then look at the tubing/pipes they intend to install in the trench.

AFAIR

1. Yellow = Gas
    2. Green = Telecoms / Fibre
    3. Pink/Red = Electricity
    4. Blue = Water
    5. Grey = Gravity Sewage
    6. Black = Pressurised Sewage

EDIT

(Adam, Eircom is 30% Irish Owned, Each Biddy is in for €70k of equity or thereabouts) . The rest is mainly owned in New York or in a Tax Haven in the Caribbean (O'Reilly). YOu may not have known it but Biddy herself voted to move it to the UK so that the ESOP could cash in.....and you thought Biddy was clueless :D )

M

Above is correct (speaking as someone who lives near the main water/telecom/power/water and sewage routes in dublin) though i've seen Fibre put down in Blue and black, might have been coax though. I've it running right past my door for a god damn pay and display machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by thegills
    ...Progress is good...

For anyone who's interested, they're currently laying the cable on Plassey Park road accross from the Vistakon factory. At least I presume that's it - the contractors have signs saying that they're doing work on behalf of Shannon Broadband.

Mike

Delphi91, thats them alright. They would be constructing down the Vistakon side but Vistakon claimed ownership of the land out to the kerb and refused Shannon Broadband a way leave so they had to cross over. It's a pity becuase if Vistakon ever want a service from the MAN they will indirectly have to pay for a road crossing themselves.
    "POPs" ?
    Co-location centres where the MAN's terminate and prospective telco's can house their equipment. These will also be managed by the MSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...if Vistakon ever want a service from the MAN they will indirectly have to pay for a road crossing themselves...

There's forward planning for ya!!! Its kinda typical of the way a lot of things run in this country.

So, will the ordinary Sean Citizen have access to this fibre through ISP's? Or is it designed for business use? I ask, cos it will run about 0.5 miles from me along the new South Link road.

Mike

Delphi91.

You won't have direct access to the fibre nor will any home user. In relation to the home user, it is envisaged that the fibre will provide cheap enough backhaul to-
    1. allow the Leap's of this world to offer a wireless service in Limerick
    2. allow the Colt's of this world offer DSL from the eircom exchanges in Limerick

Future technologies including FWDSL, PON's and FSO may emerge with a bit of luck.

thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Delphi91.

You won't have direct access to the fibre nor will any home user. In relation to the home user, it is envisaged that the fibre will provide cheap enough backhaul to-
    1. allow the Leap's of this world to offer a wireless service in Limerick
    2. allow the Colt's of this world offer DSL from the eircom exchanges in Limerick

Future technologies including FWDSL, PON's and FSO may emerge with a bit of luck.

thegills

Indeed.

1. Could well happen and fast
    2. Will not really be an option until next year after the LLU case is settled by the High / Supreme Courts ...so we are stuck with RADSL till then.

FWDSL see 1.
    PON ?? wassa ??
    FSO It rains too much I woulda thought :(

PON = Passive Optical Network.

Difficult to explain. If you have a housing estate that is 15 miles from the nearest exchange then DSL is a no-go. But if you aggregate the copper pairs locally and transmit them on a fibre pair back to the exchange then you could spread the reach od standard DSL. Alternatively a Telco could put a DSLAM in a roadside cabin and use the fibre to backhaul back to their POP.

Advertisement