Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And now the end is near...

Options
  • 23-07-2003 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

...for me at least :)

I will be stepping down as mod of the Ireland Offline forums after the AGM (This weekend folks dont forget ). My reasons for doing so are fairly simple - Time and Energy.

The traffic on the 2 boards is pretty heavy and it really does require a lot of supervision to keep threads on-topic and factual. Lately my workload has increased quite a lot and i have found it difficult to monitor boards as much as i did (Aaah, the days of sitting in work just refrehsing the main page ...). I really hate seeing things i could have got to earlier and losing track of threads through intermittant views.

The second reason is more of a judgement call thing. I feel that I've become slightly jaded and lost some of the energy i had a year ago. The Ioffl forums out of all the forums on these boards deserve mods who are very enthusiastic and pro-active and i feel that lately ive been lacking these qualities (or getting old :) ). I cant remember the last time i rang Biddy for fun :). Sceptre is a shining example of what an Ioffl mod should be and i hope the new mod can emulate his work on these boards.

Just a quick word of thanks while i have the soapbox to Sceptre, Adam and Bard for being great mods, all the Committee members past and present and the people at ODTR/Comreg who patiently answered repeated questions from me on more than one occasion. Most of all thanks to everyone who posts here and makes it the single most informative forum around, keep it up :)

Anyway, its been great fun and i dont intend going anywhere. In fact as soon as im not the mod im going to be able to rant a bit more and that WILL be nice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Probably a bit pre-mature (till next week anyay) but thanks for all the time and energy you've put in here. Im sure everyone (or almost everyone) appreciates it highly.

(muhaha a new mod, wonder what people will try to get away with and how quickly they be 'squished' )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I agree with Dustaz. Sceptre's a much better mod. :)

Dusty, sad to see you go man. I trust you'll be able to devote more time to being partisan and nasty now? Your country needs you!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

<sniff> I feel maudlin, can we get a firm hand like Ardmore to take over from you ?<snuffle>

MUCK FOR MOD!

heh

adam /paints placards

yuk, self censorship ain't my thang.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Dustaz,

What the heck!, Just when I was getting used to you as a Moderator, you are now depriving me of the opportunity of having a few more spats with you as a serving Mod, how frustrating. You know how I love getting up the Mods noses?...

Still, in the end even I must accept your reasons for stepping down. By the way, I suppose I can now state that I thought that you were an excellent Moderator, even thoug we had a few differances of opinion, but to err is only human eh!.

Good luck, and a sincere thank you from me for your voluntary service as a moderator.

Cheers.

Paddy20.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Old age gettin to you eh?
    Ah well, We'll be sure to visit you in sunny vale nursing homes ;)

Cheers for contributing the best years of your life to IOffL!*

*=I realise that if I mouthed like this on any forum you wouldnt be giving up moderatorship,I'd be banned, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

too much work lee?? :D

what about those days off to watch the eswc

SLACKER!!!!!!

seriously, good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Well i guess it must be torture to get through all the threads with your arthritis-riddled hands stuck to the mouse.. poor lad.

In all seriousness though, congratulations on a job well done, thanks for the time and effort :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Shame, No really i actually support (for what ever it was worth) Dustaz beign put forward as mod. I wonder who will set up now, it's a pretty big thing. Perosnally i'd go for the addition of two more mods as well as sceptre and dustaz. I volunteer but i'm far far far too jaded. That paining eircom a couple hundread a bill is a real kick in the head, ain't it dustaz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Sorry to see you retire as a Mod here Dustaz. But I am sure with more time on your hands you will have a lot more to contribute. I have seen on numerus occasions it is not easy to be a Mod here. But you have done a great job and thank you for your time and effort. And I hope you really do stick around.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Not been around too much myself but I think you did a very good job as a Mod, so Thanks for all your hard work.

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Sad to see such an even handed mod go i hope whoever replaces you can do half as good a job :).On a brighter note at least you can really let rip now hehehe.

Tone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

good work indeed dustaz, weve had the few spats here and there but nothing that got outta hand lol

Ah well welcome to the ranters and ravers side of thungs, after the AGM of course

:)

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Thanks Dustaz, we made your life hell but I know how hard it is to do what you did...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Dustaz
    [B (Aaah, the days of sitting in work just refrehsing the main page ...). [/B]
    Can I've a job there..please...

2 new mods will be required to help Sceptre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

I still don't post very often at all on this forum, but I am still reading almost everything.
    I felt I should take this opportunity to say good man Dusty, and thanks. But hey - it's not like you are going anywhere is it!

I'm glad Muck doesn't want to be a moderator. He is much better as a "rogue independent"!

Originally posted by Muck
    2 new mods will be required to help Sceptre

Sounds like a volunteer, all in favour of muck say "i", motion carrried.

Seriously muck this place need someone like yourself, who has the knowledge to either say, your talking crap, or good point. That as much what moderating this forum is about as stoping trouble. A pasting interest in the facts, just wont cut it, All the people i can think off he would make good mods, either have been mods or are to bussy to be mods. I'd go for it myself except i don't have the "all round knowledge" that others poccess.

Since the Administrators are very reluctant to interfere with this forum, we really need good solid moderators, the more the better.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Yum, I can start slagging you off on these forums again without risk of ban!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Thanks for the nice words folks, i cant think of a crowd i would be more scared to get on the WRONG side of .. (Screaming Tech Vixens and all ;) ).

As for a new mod ill let Sceptre start the bidding on that one. AFAIR it was a simple "Throw Your Name In The Hat" thread last time and a consensus was reached. Im guessing that the same will work this time as there are a few candidates that jump to mind.

Paddy20 4 M0D!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I second? that! motion^

Job well done Dustaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Paddy20 4 M0D!

Absolutely.

Sorry to see Dustaz go. :(

yep paddy for mod, motion carried four votes to none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

thanks for all ur good work Dustaz, relish in ur free time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Boston
    yep paddy for mod, motion carried four votes to none

make that 5 votes

PADDY FOR TAOISEACH

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

What the F***?, I really must have missed something?.. ROFL.

Paddy20:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've sent Dustaz a PM but rather than let the thread go by without it, it's been a pleasure modding with you and I'm sorry to see you step down - you've been one of the best mods boards.ie has had. That about sums it up for me so I'm not going to write an epistle.

Thanks very much for all the effort you've put in - you've made my part as co-mod a lot easier.

Anyone want to start a pool on how long it'll be before Dustaz' first rant?:)

Originally posted by Dustaz
    As for a new mod ill let Sceptre start the bidding on that one.
    Ah, started already, see. An even newer era of competence and efficiency begins:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

GWAN DUSTY!!

It was throguh ioffl that i got to boards.ie and it took me a while to stray out of here, and or the first few weeks, i thought you were the boss of boards.ie! (interesting innit)

Pity you are stepping down but fair play to ya for the work you've done.

Advertisement