Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right Clickery

Options
  • 23-07-2003 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

You know how when you right click on a file or folder, a sub-menu appears? Well, how do you go about editing that?

I just want to get rid of a few options, the sub-menu is quite large at this stage. Loads of programs appear to have associated themselves with my folders & files e.g. when I right click on a folder containing .mp3s & .jpegs, a large sub-menu appears with options such as: 'Browse with Paint Shop Pro', 'Enqueue in Winamp', 'Add to Winamp Bookmark', 'Play in Winamp', 'Add to CDR' etc. It's pretty cluttered looking and I'd like to trim it down a bit, get rid of some of the Winamp options and remove the PSP option altogether, that kind of thing.

I've gone into the folder options>file types and all that. I've been able to disable the Winamp bookmark option and the enqueue option for individual .mp3 files but when I select the File and Folder filetypes, the various options are visible but I can't edit them like I can with the .mp3 files. Is there a way to remove these options in the registry or something? I'm using XP Pro by the way.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

The registry keys are found in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. There's a folder for each files extesion and a * folder for all the files

The ones you want are probably in:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ * \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers

but if your registry gets messed up don't blame me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Thanks, MrPinK. I did that, but same problem again, only some of the options appear to be editable :( Aw well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I normally do a search of the registry (because I can never find the key) for the string and delete it. Yesterday I changed 'Browse with Paint Shop Pro' to 'Browse with PSP8' using this method, no problem.

adam

Advertisement