Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MYSQL -help

Options
  • 23-07-2003 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

has anyone any ideas where i can get help on mysql. i currently in a class trying to learn it and the lecture is not helping us one fecking bit. i need to be able to add an .asp file to a web page as i need to be able to insert fields into tables in mysql

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

www.w3c.org

Alternatively do a google search on ASP tutorials.

Beleive me, its not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

are you looking for help on mysql or on ASP?

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/index.html for the MySQL documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

both i am a beginner so i need help from scrath.

i am trying to insert values into an item table
    is this correct

sql2 = "INSERT INTO item VALUES ("itemno"','"stock"','"reorder"','"reorderamt")

as it's not working for me:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

You could always get some books:
    Sams teach yourself in 21days is release for both mySql and ASP.

I've read the ASP book and its good. Takes you from scratch and shows you how to setup your computer to run asp pages locally.

• Advertisement

thanks for all ur help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by car
    i am trying to insert values into an item table
    is this correct

sql2 = "INSERT INTO item VALUES ("itemno"','"stock"','"reorder"','"reorderamt")

as it's not working for me:confused:

Getting any sort of error message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

You have " inside a " which results in it becoming confused and closing the first " when it sees the next "
    sql2 = "INSERT INTO item VALUES ('itemno', 'stock', 'reorder', 'reorderamt')"

The above should work

sql2 = "INSERT INTO item VALUES ('" & itemno & "','" & itemdesc & "','" & stock
    sql2 = sql2 & "','" & reorder & "'," & reorderamt & ")"

the above code got it to work, 5 minutes after i got marked on the fecking code. ah well still havent a clue what i am doing just have 4 more weeks of this crap to do and then exams and then i am finished of databases forever. prob never touch them ever again.
    i really think Computers are not for me and it's only after taking 4 years of studying the feckers for me to find out that i'm crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Never done ASP so I'm guessing from Java experience that this might work.

itemno, stock, reorder and reorder amt are all variables in you program are they?

Give this a try so (like I said, I've never done ASP so it might not work):

[PHP]sql2 = "INSERT INTO item VALUES ('" + itemno + "','" + stock + "','" + reorder + "','" + reorderamt + "')"[/PHP]

I don't know how you end a statement in ASP (or even if you have to) but give that a shot. It's a bugger with all the singlequotes and double quotes but it's really more annoying than difficult.

EDIT: Oh I spent so long formatting that you ran out of time. Sorry. And I now know ASP uses '&' and not '+' for concatenation. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭boo-boo

If I were you I'd buy O'Reilly ASP in a nutshell.
    Its a small book cause ASP is a handy enough technology - theres
    only about 7 classes and you'll only really use about 4 of those.
    I'd say it costs about 25-30 euro but it covers lots -
    database access, http, etc.
    Well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by boo-boo
    If I were you I'd buy O'Reilly ASP in a nutshell.
    Its a small book cause ASP is a handy enough technology - theres
    only about 7 classes and you'll only really use about 4 of those.
    I'd say it costs about 25-30 euro but it covers lots -
    database access, http, etc.
    Well worth checking out.

Agree - A book is the best way to learn believe me. You could be listening to a lecture or reading off the internet but you'll never learn better than a book. Trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

I'm a VB developer by trade, and I must say that I picked up MySQL & ASP very quickly. I'm developing something for Bank Of Ireland at the moment believe it or not :cool:

If you've any questions, I'd be more than willing to help...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are a lot of tutorial sites around. I'd recommend having a look on http://www.hotscripts.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

Advertisement