Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember 'Quikview'?

Options
  • 23-07-2003 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

I've got this 600mb file on my system but it doesn't have any extension, so I don't know what it is. I would open it in Wordpad but I don't think XP would like me to open a 600mb text file!
    So, I'm just wondering if there is anyway I can find out what this file is?
    It may be that it never had one but the thing was created by something!
    I remember a proggie in Win 95 & 98 called Quikview that could tell you the basic details of a file but it doesn't seem to come on XP.
    Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

you can download a program called quick view plus from www.download.com its quite a big download at 21.6mb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Whats the name of the file?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

deigemheok, which tells me nothing! Right-click and Summary also shows nothing. I'm sure there a way of reading the file with some program (like quikview) which can tell you what type it is, or what the extension was originall

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm still miffed that mirror didn't make it into Dos 6 .....

a) notepad (s****** s******)

b) start run cmd
    type bigfile | more (pipe symbol)
    type bigfile > start.txt - and then press ctrl-Z (be quick) - notepad will show the start of the file

c) For those with older versions of windows and Quickview installed from add/remove programs the following will make it a right click option for every file :)

REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\QuickView]

see also
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/r1039622489
    note: many replies later - this "The method I used to get it working under W2K did not work for WinXP."

search on m$ site for "quikview XP" - nada
    change it to "quickview XP" - only one hit and it's a reg entry for winfax....
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293041

Advertisement