Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Range Query.

Options
  • 23-07-2003 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Also posted in Wireless.....

Hi All,
    Is there any wireless equipment readily available in Ireland, that will allow a line of sight connection between two points, at a distance of 15 miles or so. The link itself needs only to be 1MBps, but quicker would be better. I have already installed two SMC bridge routers and antennae that have got me 7 or so miles. I need more. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I really doubt you're going to be able to do that legally, even with very high gain antennas & attenuators. Some of the guys in midwestwan have got around that sort of problem by putting soekris boards (www.soekris.com) in waterproof boxes and sticking them on a handy house midway, or up a tree. Perhaps this would be a possibility for you?

If the power limit wasnt a problem then two high gain dish antenna's and standard 802.11.b cards would do it (with some problems due to distance).

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

in a previous life we used 11Mbps microwave gear in the 5ghz unlicensed band for a tv outside broadcast setup. it had an ethernet port and an e1 port on the back at each end, so you could plug your lan and your pabx in. i could have sworn we got 20km out of it, but we did have a tv tower at one end and we were on the 6th floor at the other :-)

i think it was the tsunami from proxim, the box looks like the one we had. it was a really cool box. might be overkill for you though.

http://www.proxim.com/products/all/tsunami_bridge/

nc do a comparative review here ... though i haven't read it:

http://www.networkcomputing.com/1108/1108f2.html

Edit: i don't know if anyone stocks it in ireland though, the setup above was in another country ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But only on registered point to point links ...

www.vbnets.com - not sure if they have 5.8GHz gear for sale - give them a ring.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&postid=1016402

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

VBNets have a pair of 24dB Dishes that would be my best bet. Link these to a pair of SMC Bridge routers, and I have a fighting chance. The maths says so anyway.

I also have to relay the recieved signal to my house, which is at the bottom of the hill that one of the ends of the link would be on. Powering that will be a 12v battery (later to be a wind sail) running a DC-DC. That bit I already have finished.

Surely someone has (legally) used off the shelf stuff to beam an wireless link more than 15 miles? I picked up a few examples on Google, so it must be do-able.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on the 2.4 GHz ISM band FCC (US) regulations allow 40 times as much power on point to point links as Irish regulations ...

check out the receive sensitity of what ever you decide upon this is what matters most

(you can ignore the power - all cards will hit 100mW EIRP when matched with a suitable high gain antenna)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

i posted on your other thread on the wireless fourm, have a look at that. also you are aloud to transmit up to 2W on the 5.8GHZ band but it also takes alot more power to transmit in this band twice the frequency gives you a 1/4 of the penetration. Also remember Comreg doesnt have any equiptment to moniter the 2.4GHZ, 5.2GHZ and 5.8GHZ bands, i am not advocating you breaking the law just giving you a piece of information do with it as you will....
    in a previous life we used 11Mbps microwave gear in the 5ghz unlicensed band for a tv outside broadcast setup. it had an ethernet port and an e1 port on the back at each end, so you could plug your lan and your pabx in. i could have sworn we got 20km out of it, but we did have a tv tower at one end and we were on the 6th floor at the other :-)

5GHZ isnt unliscened 5.2GHZ [indoor only] and 5.8GHZ [outdoor only] are, also i am unaware of any 11mbps equiptment in this band [only in the 2.4GHZ band]. also why would you connect a PABX onto a wireless net connection?? arent PABX's for wired phone networks wouldn u just use VoIP?i think

Motive is cost - leased lines & phone calls are expensive ...

Seriously - As I understand it - if you have a pair of video sender's & recievers (on two different channels) that take in composite input - you can feed in most analog signal's (lots of bandwidth) and get it out the far end

A lot of telcoms equipment is already geared up to multiplex many lines on to a pair of copper wires - so apart for matching voltages and impedences and tolerances you are most the way there already - with a two pairs of video sender/recievers, you can also use AUI connectors from net cards the same way (some have put this on analog 10GHz carrier)

But a lot of phone systems are designed to take RF addon's.

But better to go digital from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

and simplicity. in the pabx world it's still much easier to shove an e1 cable, connect it to the wireless bridge, and program it up on the pabx as 30 digital trunks, rather than set up voip gateways, routing servers and whatnot to get voip working (especially if your pabx is run by people who are non-conversant in ip, but much happier with bog standard 2mbps digital links.)

i should have been more specific - the box we used ran at 5.8ghz.

Advertisement