Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Request

• 23-07-2003 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

[rant]
    maybe ye should set up a Man Yoo forum in the Public Community place or something, cuz i'm getting mighty sick of seeing nowt but ManYoo news for the first 7 topics on this forum
    [/rant]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    [rant]
    maybe ye should set up a Man Yoo forum in the Public Community place or something, cuz i'm getting mighty sick of seeing nowt but ManYoo news for the first 7 topics on this forum
    [/rant]

Great idea. I think Mr O'Leary went a little over board today, he could have put a few of those ideas in one thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is it our fault we are the best supported club in the world?

nobodys stopping you from posting your thread on the club of your choice.

Point taken about mr o leary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

Originally posted by The Muppet

nobodys stopping you from posting your thread on the club of your choice.

i dont want to post a thread, i want to read other people's, read about soccer news, etc
    and i dont support any British premiership club, why have a meaningless allegiance to a place you're not even from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i dont support any British premiership club, why have a meaningless allegiance to a place you're not even from

not this again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by elle minnow pea
    and i dont support any British premiership club, why have a meaningless allegiance to a place you're not even from

How is it that someone can take a thread about football & turn it into something political :mad: :mad:

Football is football and Politics is politics - and they should never cross over!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I support chelsea, but you dont see me posting a million and three threads a day on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i dont want to post a thread, i want to read other people's, read about soccer news, etc

because holis street utd are crap.

besides, when it comes to football, i like to support a team from the mainland, because its my perogative.
    much like all those pseudo celtic/irish supporters really.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Is it our fault we are the best supported club in the world?

What's this we business ??

BTW, can't wait for the next set of supporters numbers. Apparently Beckham will be taking most of Man U's asian support away to Real with him.

I for one doubt Man U will be the world's most supported club at that stage.

Will you be supporting real when that happens Muppet ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

What is this thread all about.

ella minnow pea
    There are always going to be loads of Man Yoo threads but if you don't support any teams then what have you got a problem with?

I support about 5 teams. Liverpool, St. Pats, Shels, Moyle Park and Monksfield Utd. No problems there I hope.

Will you be supporting real when that happens Muppet ??

United for 30 years now and United until i die.
    why have a meaningless allegiance to a place you're not even from

I suppose you no Interest in the soaps then , the british charts. BBC ITV etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I asked before in admin if we could have all Man U supporters banned from Soccer, sadly the answer was no. Now look at the state of the place :ninja:

Originally posted by PhatFiesta
    How is it that someone can take a thread about football & turn it into something political :mad: :mad:
    how did i make it political!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    I asked before in admin if we could have all Man U supporters banned from Soccer, sadly the answer was no. Now look at the state of the place :ninja:

Can't live with them; can't shoot them.

Bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

probably something to do with the petty, ignorant bigotry you displayed

Originally posted by bort
    probably something to do with the petty, ignorant bigotry you displayed

how is it bigotry? i don't "support" any team, i follow the games featuring irish internationals, or any that are interesting to me. it isn't just british ones. please think before you post

well maybe i misinterpreted the meaning of your post,
    but theres no doubt that ( and ive had this arguement before with many people on lots of boards ) there are a lot of people who have the opinion that if you support an english team, you are then somehow a traitor to ireland. And it kinda pisses me off so sorry for jumpin to the conclusion

bort
    there are a lot of people who have the opinion that if you support an english team, you are then somehow a traitor to ireland. And it kinda pisses me off so sorry for jumpin to the conclusion

Funny but that is the conclusion I came to after reading peas post too. Seems Im wrong but as you directed this comment at me if I would be interested in knowing what you meant by the quote below.

ella minnow pea
    why have a meaningless allegiance to a place you're not even from

I apologise if I took what you said up wrong, but you did ask why someone would have an allegiance to a place they're not even from!!

To me supporting a football team is not about making an allegiance to the country they happen to be from!!

I support a team because they make me happy, make me sad, make me tear my hair out with frustration and cry with joy [all of which happened during the Champions League Final '99]

it's just that i believe that if you're from newcastle, support newcastle, if you're from manchester, support manchester, if you're from madrid, support real or whoever, if you're from galway, support galway united - if you must support a team. why just choose a team at random? You don't support Kildare footballers if you're from Limerick do you? just my belief, don't mean to offend

I must be weird ... I'm from Dublin & I support Tipperary :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

it's just that i believe that if you're from newcastle, support newcastle, if you're from manchester, support manchester, if you're from madrid, support real or whoever, if you're from galway, support galway united - if you must support a team. why just choose a team at random? You don't support Kildare footballers if you're from Limerick do you? just my belief, don't mean to offend

Fair enought if that is your personal belief but i am surprised that you frequent this board where the vast majority of posts regarad Foreign clubs.

Can i not be interested in soccer without needed to support a premiership club?! i'm addicted to sky sports news, o is that so wrong??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by thegills
    I support about 5 teams. Liverpool, St. Pats, Shels, Moyle Park and Monksfield Utd. No problems there I hope.

That is so wrong ,i dont even know what to beat you up with.

Although i used go to Moyle Park, but would support Rangers as they are better and closer :D

kdjac

Can i not be interested in soccer without needed to support a premiership club?!QUOTE]

Of Course you can . But likewise I can support whatever team I choose for whatever reason I choose.

??? i'm too tired to try and make sense of this.
    Just wondering WHY yiz all decided to support Man Yoo or whoever, was it just cause they're succcesful? Or beacause of Keano or Dinny or some player?

??? i'm too tired to try and make sense of this.
    Just wondering WHY yiz all decided to support Man Yoo or whoever, was it just cause they're succcesful? Or beacause of Keano or Dinny or some player?

you know what I hate, when people say who do you support?

I reply Aston Villa they go "what the F*** do you support them for there s**t", and the funny thing is I actually have a reason, I started supporting Villa because McGrath,Stauton,Houghton and Townsend were all playing for them at the time.

I then ask who do you support and it's usually United or the Pool and I ask why do you support them and they reply "coz there the best", sad I think.

i dont really think this happens so much - a lot of the people my age (ealry 20's) support man utd coz of kevin moran and paul mc grath etc NOT because of success (which was limited to 2 fa cups during the 80's).

But what i hate is having to constantly justify why i support them - i just decided to support them when i was a kid of 5 as always have since then, thats it really!

well i hate having to constantly justify why i don't support anyone, people think you're not a real soccer fan unless you only like one team

Originally posted by bort
    But what i hate is having to constantly justify why i support them - i just decided to support them when i was a kid of 5 as always have since then, thats it really!

I agree 100% with you and your entitled to support who ever you like, what my point was I don't like people saying "what the F*** do you support Villa for there s**t".

I always say "well if there was only Arsenal , Man U and liverpool in the league it would be fair sad wouldn't it".

• Advertisement

Just wondering WHY yiz all decided to support Man Yoo or whoever, was it just cause they're succcesful?

I have supported man u for over 30 years including thier season in the old second division so not it was not down to Success. I supported wolves before that but changed to united because my older brother supported them and brainwashed me.(i was only 7 at the time) It is really only in the last 10 seasons that they have been really successful we had a long time winning the odd fa cup . Liverpool were the really successful team for a long time.There was never a concerted anyone but liverpool feeling at that time i wonder why united invoke such feelings in opposing fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

it's just that i believe that if you're from newcastle, support newcastle, if you're from manchester, support manchester, if you're from madrid, support real or whoever, if you're from galway, support galway united.
    well i hate having to constantly justify why i don't support anyone, people think you're not a real soccer fan unless you only like one team

You Hate to have to constantly justify why you don't support anyone but yet you would like people from Galway, Dublin etc justify why they support who they support. Is that not a little bit hypocritical.

Also what if your from Clare or Mayo who do you support then or are you allowed to watch football at all considering that there is no top flight football team in either County?

why do you HAVE to support someone?? can you not just enjoy it? and my point is, if you must support a team, it should be the where you live, come from, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Thats my point l-m-n-o-p.

You don't[\B] have to support anyone, just like you
    don't[\B] have to support a team in your location. If everyone in Galway supported Galway United then how boring would that be.

Can you not see that your points are contridicting each other. On one hand your saying you should not have to support any one team, which is true. But on the other hand your saying you Should support the team in your location. By that rational l-m-n-o-p you should be supporting the team in your location.

Do you not think you may have double standards here?

Listen to my argument please - you don't have to support a team, but if you do, it should be the team from your home place.

You don't have to support a team to enjoy soccer, polo, olympic cross-dressing, whatever - but if you really really want to, it should be the team from your town, the nearest, whatever.

I'm not saying you shouldn't support a team, I'm saying you don't have to if you don't want to . Personally i feel you can enjoy it just as much without supporting a single team. But if you want to support a team, it should be the closest one to you, not one picked at random.

Ok??

And re:
    If everyone in Galway supported Galway United then how boring would that be.
    Do you not think everyone in Sunderland supports Sunderland?? All the GAA supporting people who live in Galway support Galway, ditto with Dublin, Kerry, whoever, they don't just pick a team at random.

Ah maybe i'm not making sense. Ho hum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Originally posted by irish1
    you know what I hate, when people say who do you support?

I reply Aston Villa they go "what the F*** do you support them for there s**t", and the funny thing is I actually have a reason, I started supporting Villa because McGrath,Stauton,Houghton and Townsend were all playing for them at the time.

I then ask who do you support and it's usually United or the Pool and I ask why do you support them and they reply "coz there the best", sad I think.

In that case irish1 we share the same reason for supporting villa, i remember buying a poster of the four irish lads in there villa shirts off a lad in moore street for 50p about ten years ago and i still have it!

And im proud of supporting villa!

As for utd i think there going out of fashion i know some kids who are choseing to support Spurs instead of them!

• Advertisement

you don't have to support a team, but if you do, it should be the team from your home place.

Why?

Just wondering WHY yiz all decided to support Man Yoo or whoever, was it just cause they're succcesful?

I know the conversation has moved on from your point, but I just wanted to say that I have followed United since 1980 [when my first jersey was both for my fourth birthday]!!

I know you haven't make the following point .... but I hate it when people assume I started following Manchester United because they became successful!!
    you don't have to if you don't want to

I agree you don't have to support a team to enjoy sport, but I don't think people should be queried on the team they support if they are not from the area the team plays in

End of Rant :D

Why?

because you have a conecction with them, it isn't just a meaningless team picked at random

Sorry but i was blessed with a brain which lets me make choices for myself and so fell no need to be told what soccer team I should support.
    I dont see us agreeing on this point so to avoid boring the others by going over the same ground again and again that ends my participation on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Why?

Umm most teams have partizan supporters who support their team from their locality and feel part of something when they see their team in their colours.
    The whole them and us mentality which the basis of rivalry in football.
    Thats why the called "clubs" .

But that is completley lost on most irish fans who support english teams , would any Irish Arsenal fans really as bothered as a londoner if Spurs beat them?
    Would any fans who support Man Utd really be pissed if Leeds beat them in the lancashire derby?
    Again with Newcastle the north derbies?
    Barca fans being catalonian because they live there.
    Etc etc: etc: the whole world over.

LMOP is making a valid point but in a weird way :).

kdjac

• Advertisement

Would any fans who support Man Utd really be pissed if Leeds beat them in the lancashire derby?

Now you know that just aint gonna happen.

I understand lmnop s point i just dont agree that we should be told which team we should support. I understand your point too but if you were to stand outside old trafford ant match day you would see many irish entering. You try and tell these supporters that they dont really care about man u.

well muppet it means that big prem clubs get the most support - the irish leagues then suffer, we'll never grow financially and be able to compete internationally with english, spanish, italian etc clubs because we don't have enough support - if soccer fans supported their local team instead of another one we'd have this badly needed support. it happens in england too - you saw the crisises (sic) at oldham and luton go nearly unnoticed because because of the never-ending ronnie saga. If everyone supported their local team, there would be a significant decrease in the enormous revenue accumulated by man u, arsenal, etc and an increase in revenue for smaller clubs - making the game of soccer much more competetive. Is that not better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

fair dues to the lads who support premiership football!! we are entitled to watch top quality football every weekend. but i have no respect for the arses who say "irish football is sh1te so why should i support it". I lurve Shels and the pool, but since i cant go to liverpool every weekend i go to tolka to freeze me rocks off. perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

There's no such team as "ManYoo" or even "Man U" its Manchester United or Man United.

That is all.

I
    well muppet it means that big prem clubs get the most support - the irish leagues then suffer, we'll never grow financially and be able to compete internationally with english, spanish, italian etc clubs because we don't have enough support

I deliberately did not mention the eircom league because attacking the quality of it was too obvious a reply to you.
    If some one wants to freeze their rocks off watching it thats their choice and i respect their right to make it. Likewise I have made my choice of team to support am i not entitled to that?

Your argumentsg the el regarding supportin is Idealistic and ignores basic Economics. Ireland does not have the population to sustain a top class league.

As for the FAI they couln,t manage the prerbial Pissup in the brewery. I would rather burn my money that give that shower of tossers a penny. Now I know thats a strong statement but unfortunately due to their incompetence that is honestly how I fell about them. Now im off a lie down in a darkened room

There's no such team as "ManYoo" or even "Man U" its Manchester United or Man United.

If you want to be pedantic there is no such team as Man United.

The Muppet

because the english FA are SO much more noble..

gah bored of this topic now.....arguing on the internet is like<opps i'll be banned if i say that>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Your Entitled to Support an english team if you want you i personaly feel you get more passion mre excitement if you invest yourself in a particular team be it emotional stress of the the relegation battles or the ectasy of reaching the the promotion play offs or even winning the league the transfer speculation surrounding your club the pointless but entertaining battles between supporters who think their team is the best if you just watch the league and stand on the sidelines with really no interest who wins or looses you are loosing out on the best part of what soccer has to offer

you get the same if you support a local irish team though, why dont you do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

To be fair i dont think you do because there isnt a huge interest in the eircom league simply because its a poorer league with semi professional clubs so there will be no point talking of tranfers for the big players because it will never happen now i love going to watch cork city every friday night down in turners cross but theres nothing better than slagging off your mates who are die hard cocky liverpool supporters or man utd supporters when they loose to a team who are crap i dont mean to put down the eircom league but frankly the football is a lot poorer where players play route one football and there just isnt the support there although moving the league to the summer was a great idea

• Advertisement
Advertisement