Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Critique on Something i am making

Options
  • 23-07-2003 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hey There guys,

Working on a website: http://trakehner.emerald.ie

Ok i know its german so a lot of ye mightn't understand it hehe, i don't even understand it myself!
    The links on top are working so if you want to see how the floating frames work on it.

What ye think?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dont know is it cos im tired or just dumb but I found myself clicking on the buttons above the links [on the left]wondering why they weren't working
    dont know if it is intentional but the email link at the bottom right isn't complete
    other than that - I like it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

actually what is the K for in the bottom left?
    Use ALT text with your images!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by kbannon
    actually what is the K for in the bottom left?
    Use ALT text with your images!!!!!!!!!

Ummm well thats the control panel of the site for the guys that will be updating it. Yeah ALT on images good idea tho I didn't get around to this yet, yep the email link is the same nothing happening. Don't mind hte links on the left. the top right links are the only ones working. I know that i should wait till its fully completed but it may end up not being completed - its only a demo yet

Thanks for the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Please go off and study web standards and their correct implementation. I'm on a 2MB connection and that page took a longtime to load. Your coding does not respect the browser parsing model, you haven't got any ALT or TITLE tags for any of your images. You've also used tags that don't exist within other ones. You haven't set a DTD.

Originally posted by blacknight
    Please go off and study web standards and their correct implementation. I'm on a 2MB connection and that page took a longtime to load. Your coding does not respect the browser parsing model, you haven't got any ALT or TITLE tags for any of your images. You've also used tags that don't exist within other ones. You haven't set a DTD.

Actually i just got books 2day so they should keep me busy :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

What do you mean floating frames?? The frame for which the page changes - it works OK.

Originally posted by buddy
    What do you mean floating frames?? The frame for which the page changes - it works OK.

The tags <IFrame></IFRAME>

yeah i think it suits it

I've actually never used iframe's - I thought there was a browser compatability issue so I build frames around my target frame.

I've actually never used iframe's - I thought there was a browser compatability issue so I build frames around my target frame.

Umm i think all browsers support them now. Am I correct in saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

• Advertisement

That just confused the hell out of me - but it looks like Mosiac sucks ass :)

That just confused the hell out of me - but it looks like Mosiac sucks ass :)

I think i have to agree with you there :eek:

Mosaic revolutionised the 'net, so don't knock it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Please go off and check your 2MB connections as looks like it is not running up to speed. I have much slower connection and page loaded just OK.

Mosiac:D definitely suck$

as for the page:

Not bad for starters

Originally posted by Gmodified

Please go off and check your 2MB connections as looks like it is not running up to speed. I have much slower connection and page loaded just OK.

Mosiac:D definitely suck$

as for the page:

Not bad for starters
    The page wasn't parsing properly when I checked it, so your comment is a little out of order.

You obviously never used Mosaic, so you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

The page was terrible.

Stop leaving in the past, Mosaic maybe started digital revolution back in the old days but unfortunately as idea maybe alive==> Mosaic is dead

Stop leaving in the past, Mosaic maybe started digital revolution back in the old days but unfortunately as idea maybe alive==> Mosaic is dead

I agree entirely, it is part of history. I don't think anybody's using it anymore (at least I hope they aren't)

It was one of the previous comments that riled me a little. I know that in comparison with current browsers it sucks - of course it does. It couldn't be expected to support features that weren't available when it was released. However the way the message was posted did not allow for that, which I thought was a little out of hand.

Agree, My respect still goes to Mosaic for changing the way forward when comes to internet browser and we can't really compare it to new applications. Yeah, Sucks is not a perfect word for it and not a smart comment.

maybe --dated by current standards ?:)

maybe --dated by current standards ?:)

That's a very nice way of putting it :D

If you look back over the last ten years... windows 3.1, windows 95, various versions of X etc., etc., they all look dated now...

(Sigh)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Blacknight has a point about the download time. The page+images are around 150KB which seems a tad excessive for what the user is getting for it. You could do a lot of trimming on those images. (I like to keep it around the 30-40KB mark for dial-up users)

Of course, if you expect your target market (germans?) have fast connections, you might "get away" with it.

• Advertisement

I agree entirely, it is part of history. I don't think anybody's using it anymore (at least I hope they aren't)

It was one of the previous comments that riled me a little. I know that in comparison with current browsers it sucks - of course it does. It couldn't be expected to support features that weren't available when it was released. However the way the message was posted did not allow for that, which I thought was a little out of hand.

Sorry blacknight - what do you mean by the way the post was posted?

Basically the post said that it sucked full stop, which is a stupid comment to make unless you qualify it, which both Gmodified and I have done subsequently

I don't understand how to post said it sucked? I don't know where ur coming from

I rest my case:
    quote:
    That just confused the hell out of me - but it looks like Mosiac sucks ass

I think i have to agree with you there

Keep reading, Webmonkey.

Yeha it was confusing? So that page looked like i don't know something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭boo-boo

http://validator.w3.org

If I were you I'd check your work with this tool, its supplied by w3.org- the web standards body.

Originally posted by boo-boo
    http://validator.w3.org

If I were you I'd check your work with this tool, its supplied by w3.org- the web standards body.

Yep thanks i know bout it allready

Maybe others that go complaining about my site should go check their own sites with it first

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    Maybe others that go complaining about my site should go check their own sites with it first

...? If we're all wrong then it's ok?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by nahdoic
    ...? If we're all wrong then it's ok?

Umm i'm only talkin bout 1 person in particular - all the rest of ye fine

Advertisement