Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Strike force

• 23-07-2003 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Who do you think should be villa's strike force next season??

Options:
    1. Vassell-Allback
    2. Vassell-Angel
    3. Vassell-Crouch
    4. Vassell-Balaban
    5. Vassell-Dublin
    6. Vassell-S Moore

7. Allback-Angel
    8. Allback-Crouch
    9. Allback-Balaban
    10.Allback-Dublin
    11.Allback-S Moore

12.Angel-Crouch
    13.Angel-Balaban
    14.Angel-Dublin
    15.Angel-S Moore

16.Crouch-Balaban
    17.Crouch-Dublin
    18.Crouch-S Moore

19.Balaban-Dublin
    20.Balaban-S Moore

21.Dublin-S Moore

Thats all the combinations I think.

I personally think NO1 Vassell and allback

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

not at all,it has to be angel-vassell,they worked great together before gregory left(i.e. we actually scored some goals),dublin is too old,crouch is too first division,allback is too..average? and balaban nis unknown,young boy stefan moore is the man for the future if vassell does leave,i seem to remember him scoring a fine brace against charlton once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by invincibleirish
    not at all,it has to be angel-vassell,they worked great together before gregory left(i.e. we actually scored some goals),dublin is too old,crouch is too first division,allback is too..average? and balaban nis unknown,young boy stefan moore is the man for the future if vassell does leave,i seem to remember him scoring a fine brace against charlton once.

Angel doesn't seem to want to play if that changes then maybe, but Allback looked good near the end of last season he scored a few nice goals.

that maybe true but angel has just said he wants to stay and when he does play(like under gregory in 2001-02) he can really turn it on,he is villas best striker,the thing with allback is,yeah he scored a couple at the end of the season,and taylors chopping and changing did'nt help,but i just don't see a decent player in him who is capable of 15+ league goals a season, some performances of his thru out the season were dreadful(the brum away springs to mind),i dont think he deserves to be in the squad,as the kids moore and aaritalo need a chance as does balaban.

Well if Angel gets in and gives 110% he can be a top striker, I'd have to say in my opinion Vassell is our best player, his pace frightens all defenders and his ball control is brilliant.

I just hope who ever starts up front will have good supply from the midfield, I think Hitz will really excel this year.

hitz is the man i agree,if hendrie for the 1st time in 4 years pulls his thumb out while playing in the centre then we'd have quite the central midfield partnership,not going to happen though as the only thing hendrie does is disappoint.

• Advertisement

my problem with vassell,is that he is too inconsistent since he got into the england team and that he needs to learn to pass the ball at the right time as he has the habit of running at the defence,taking the ball past a defender or too,but continues running into a dead end ,where he either tries to shoot or pass,but by then its too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

you`re forgetting luke moore in that list. id go for Allback and vassel up front with Dublin and Angel on the bench. Allbacks a strong centre forward who can hold the ball Vassels a striker in the michael owen mould. he is a central defenders nightmare when he hits a bit of form. His stellar performance against m`boro last season is testimony to that.Hopefully the new couching staff at villa can help to exploit his full potential. I think crouch should be let go. Taylor was a fool to pay £5million for him in the first place. hes slow and he cant shoot for sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

AngelofFire maybe your thinking of Stefan Moore, Luke's older brother. Luke is still to young and not mature enough as in body size.

From watching old videos of goals from season before last and before i think Vassell and Angel. Angel has a sixth sense that can read a game more than any other villa striker i have seen. And vassell is a class finisher given the opurtunity. And he gets more chances he would be less greedy. His greed was coming from desperation to score.

As for dublin, he might have been our top scorer but also our top waster too! Allback deserves a chance because he kept us in the premiership plane and simple!

Hitz and hendrie should be good and its looks like theres goin to be gavin Mcann as well another average player! But keep an eye out for Cooke, maybe not this season but next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id love to see angel and balaban with allback playing behind them, we should cash in on vassell imo as hes not gonna get much better with us so we may as well offload him and get someone else in who isnt a one trick pony

both the moores will be excellent players, and i reckon crouch might actually do well this season

Villa have scored 11 goals in 2 pre-season games, winning 8-0 and 3-0.

In the 3-0 win Angel got 2 and missed a penalty and Vassell got 1 and missed a penalty.

In the 8-0 Allback got a hat-trick, crouch got 2 and Aplay, Hendrie and Barry got 1 a piece.

McCann in the bag and Sorensen in talks, looking good lads looking very good.

• Advertisement

i dunno,i mean i agree about sorensen as it seems enckelman will never be able to get over *that goal* ,but as for mcann,i dont think he is better then what we already have,villa are in dire need of a new top class midfielder and a couple of wingers,as honestly the only guy for me doing the business in midfield is hitz,roll on venezualan sugar daddy.........

Originally posted by invincibleirish
    i dunno,i mean i agree about sorensen as it seems enckelman will never be able to get over *that goal* ,but as for mcann,i dont think he is better then what we already have,villa are in dire need of a new top class midfielder and a couple of wingers,as honestly the only guy for me doing the business in midfield is hitz,roll on venezualan sugar daddy.........

Well McCann is a hard working hard hitting player, he's not going to add flair but he will get stuck in and thats the kind of football O'Leary like to play, Pressure them and tackle hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Im not exactly over the moon at the signing of Mcann but hopefully he can shine under o'leary. The villa midfield does need a tackler who can break up attacks and get it good tackles so hopefully he will be a success!

As for Allbacks hat-trick they where three knock ins after the goalie fumbled 3 times!

how long have we needed someone to be able to convert tap ins from 6 yards tho??? we havent had a player like that in years, and thats what cost us a serious amount of games last season

allbacks the kinda player wholl get in those positions to actually get himself onto spills from the keeper, angel is the type of player who can knock them in from between 10 and 25 yards, and balaban from what ive seen of him is the kinda guy who is capeable of absolutely anything

in my books thats the best combination of strike force you can possible have! all bases covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

The Scandinavian wins are good for moral but really they were against poor opposition. Vassell and Angel are the best partnership. Let the other strikers prove their worth and fight for a place.

Originally posted by Sundy
    AngelofFire maybe your thinking of Stefan Moore, Luke's older brother. size.
    !

no no if you had read the threat opener irish1 mentioned s.moore S is for Stefan. i was pointing out that he neglected to mention luke. Stefan has proved himself a worthy striker last season. however when played wide on the right against brum city and middlesboro he was dismal. what was graham taylor thinking when we have other rightside midfielders like hadji and de la cruz

maybe im being uber critical but de la cruz=de la ****e and hadji remains anonymous 90% of the time,what we need is a decent good old fashioned winger,oi o'leary!get pennent before realises he is good.

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    no no if you had read the threat opener irish1 mentioned s.moore S is for Stefan. i was pointing out that he neglected to mention luke. Stefan has proved himself a worthy striker last season. however when played wide on the right against brum city and middlesboro he was dismal. what was graham taylor thinking when we have other rightside midfielders like hadji and de la cruz

Well It wasn't that I forgot him just I don't think he's mature enough yet to make a serious impression on the first team and Stefan is rated better than him, I hope he will go out on loan and get some good experience and maybe figure in years to come.

My Villa team:

______________________Sorensen______________________
    Delaney__________Alpay__________Mellberg________Samuel

Vassell_________McCann_________Hitzlsperger________Barry

___________________Angel_____Allback

What you think??

I'd like to see a right winger bought but Vassell has been playing wide on the left in the pre- season while Barry was out. McCann had a stormer on his debut and scored from 20 yards to top it off.

pretty much the same as irish1's

________________sorenson____________________

delaney_________alpay_____mellberg________samuel

hadji_________mcCann________hitz____________barry

_______________vassell________angel___________

yeah i know i said hadji is crap but godddammit he's the best we have.

_________________sorensen_________________________

Mellberg________Alpay________Staunton__________Samuel

Hadji__________Mccann_______Hendrie___________Barry

Allback_______Vassel

Bench:
    Dublin
    Angel
    Hitzlesperger
    Delaney
    Enckelmann

• Advertisement

no hitz?!!!:eek: you crazy,der hammer i the best young player we have

well i had a tough decision choosing between hitz and hendrie to be honest. id see who performs better in pre match training if i was the manager before i made my lineup decision

shouldnt we wait til we ACTUALLY sign sorensen before we all include him in our teams?

yeah i suppose so, we can never forget robinson,mcarthy,juninho and co.

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    _________________sorensen_________________________

Mellberg________Alpay________Staunton__________Samuel

Hadji__________Mccann_______Hendrie___________Barry

Allback_______Vassel

Bench:
    Dublin
    Angel
    Hitzlesperger
    Delaney
    Enckelmann

Staunton!!!!!!!!!!, Ah man please no please no.

sorensen should be signing today!

Advertisement