Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys or Netgear

Options
  • 23-07-2003 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Having found myself in the position of being able to afford a wireless lan in the house, I have opted for (and am still waiting) UTV's offering. That aside I'm looking at getting 802.11g kit for the house (probably overkill for the line speed, but useful for in house messing around and for trialing out installs in a home environment before they hit the office and beyond).

Couple of thoughts after two bottles of stella....

Daft question number 1 - 802.11g licensed for use in Ireland? Nothing on Comreg or Dept Comms as far as I can see? Any issues in using the allocated band?

Linksys or Netgear - from the magazine reviews and boards posts I've read, there isn't much in it.

Anyone had any experience of using either the WRT54g or the WGR614 (Linksys and netgear respectively)?

Thanks

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i can not speak for the the netgear router as i do not have one.
    but i do have the linksys 54g and i know nothing about routers and i had it set up in no time.

i got the linksys wrt 54g and a linksys wet 11 for 360 in peats, you could get it cheaper from the uk with a cc..

i have my internet connection downstairs and my xbox upstairs with the wet 11 and i have not had any problems with it playing on live . and i'v moved it around diffrent rooms in the house with no problems.

it is approved for use in europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 musiccccdub

Thanks

dabs, dsl warehouse or simply seem to offer them in the uk.

Will give it a go once I hear from UTV ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Netgear are slightly behind - technology wise

Linksys are good - but i've never used - they are now owned by cisco, which means the quality will probably go up but the software might start limiting the number of sessions through the equipment - a typical cisco trait

The prices will probably start going up also

I have installed a DLink Wireless Access Point/ Firewall /Router /Switch

Model DI614 ( supports 22Mbs 802.11b )

no problems and easy to set up - connected to Eircom Zyxel Ethernet ADSL modem.

If I was buying another I'd buy the DLink 624 which supports 802.11G (54Mbs) and is backward compatible with 802.11b.

For more info visit www.dlink.com

Advertisement