Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Options in 2nd year

Options
  • 23-07-2003 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I'm going into a 2nd year computing course, where I have to choose between two options, Commercial Programming or Computer Applications.

Programming obviously is mainly programming with some other subjects like Accounting etc. I'd like to do this as I do like programming but since the I.T industry is so hard to get jobs in these days im weary whether to choose it or not.

The other option is more network management orientated, go into a company setup the network and maintain it. I also like the thought of doing this. End up with a Systems Management title.

I have a feeling that the latter would be easier to get a job in and i've always liked building computers for people.
    Both options lead onto a BSc.
    To be honest I think the 2nd option would be less stressful and the college also puts you into a 6 month work placement in 4th year.

I know its up to myself to choose but i'd like to some advice from people in the know :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Sorry not helping :)

Just curious which course you doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Just finishing off my fourth and final year now in a Bsc degree and what I wouldnt give to have a chance like yours to go and do a networks specific and detailed course.

All we had was a 3 month Win NT based networks class which was so easy it was actually just an easy 'A' and nothing else cause I knew 95% of what we were thought already.

Where are you doing the degree? And is it a full degree course, or a cert following onto a gedree if you do well enough in the Cert?

Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

The course is CW019 in Carlow I.T, 2 year cert, 1 year diploma then 1 year BSc degree.

Think i'll go for the systems management option...

Some of the 4th year modules like Law don't sound too good though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What do you wanna do after college?

Do you see yourself as a programmer for example?

I took the applicatios route in Dundalk along witha few mates, while a few others went the software route. I just finished the BSc there.

• Advertisement

Well i'd rather learn networking admin etc aswell as VB and SQL, can do this with the applications option.

What did you think of your applications course?

I pasted this **** out of my CV. Lazy :D

Year 1:

- Windows Programming - Visual Basic 6.
    - Application Software 1 - Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint.
    - Computer Hardware - Basic physics and computer hardware troubleshooting.
    - Information Systems - History of computers and Information Systems.
    - Accounting
    - Mathematics 1
    - Communications1

Year 2:

- Application Software 2 - VBA IN Excel, Word, Access and Power Point.
    - Networking and Operating Systems - Networking Basics and UNIX.
    - Interactive Multimedia - HTML, Video and Graphics.
    - Computers Organisation - Hardware and OS Troubleshooting (A+ Course Material).
    - Systems Analysis
    - Mathematics 2
    - Communications 2

Year 3:

- Internet Application Development - VBScript, ASP, JavaScript
    - Communications and Networks - Fast Ethernet, IP, UDP, TCP etc..
    - Computer Services Management - Project Management, Security, Health and Safety.
    - Database Administration - UNIX, SQL, Ingress.
    - Support Services - E-Learning, GUI, User Consideration.
    - E-Commerce
    - Individual Project - Web based Application using Access and ASP to create an Online Store

Year 4:

- Internet Computing - Middleware, Java
    - Enterprise Computing - Middleware, Enterprise Systems, ERP, SAP, Web Services.
    - Network Administration and Design - Gigabit, Wireless, VLANS, Media Streaming, Security blah blah blah
    - Organisation and Management - Human Resource, Negotiation
    - I.T Management - Management Information Systems, Finance. Quality and Strategic Mgnt
    - Dissertation - 3G/UMTS Research Project - Technology and Applications - Achieved 74%

n1 cheers

Advertisement