Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing operator name

• 23-07-2003 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how you can change your sim card from displaying 'Eircell' and change it to 'Vodafone'? I don't mean the operator logo, I mean that it's actually programmed into the sim card as 'Eircell' so for example if I put it into my 7250 it still comes up as Eircell even though the software on the phone is 'vodafone IE'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

send the word ‘Logo’ as a text message to 087 9237000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mine still says Eircell. A few people have looked at it and accused me of being retro-hip or summat (one even asked me where I got the logo:rolleyes: ). I'm a lazy git, that's all.

At the moment they are trying to update all customers to the Vofafone logo. They are doing this by sending customer a text message containing "test", obviously some sort of scripting going on behind the scenes in the SMS but I dont know what. Works will all brands of handsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Had a trium phone that said Digifone IRL on it,
    got a new phone - Ericsson T68i put sim in it and it says O2 Irl.

Did you get a new sim by any chance.

Otherwise, they set the phone up to show O2 when any digifone or O2 sim is inserted. No big deal to do really.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Did you get a new sim by any chance.

Otherwise, they set the phone up to show O2 when any digifone or O2 sim is inserted. No big deal to do really.

No same sim and phone with factory settings

I can assure you that they made the change on the phone before you purchased it, before it left the factory. There is no other explanation for it, it didnt appear from nowhere.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I can assure you that they made the change on the phone before you purchased it, before it left the factory. There is no other explanation for it, it didnt appear from nowhere.

Maybe but it wasn't even bought from o2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Every GSM network in the world has a numerical code, e.g.

353-01 - Vodafone
    353-02 - O2
    353-03 - Meteor

Every phone made has an internal database listing off all of these codes with the corresponding network name. The name beside the code (which the phone displays) will be the name that existed at the time the phone was made.

A phone manufactured before Meteor came into existence, for example, might display 'IRL-03' if you were to use it on Meteor.

I'm 99% sure that this database is in the phone rather than the SIM card but I'm open to correction on this.

Originally posted by blorg
    Every GSM network in the world has a numerical code, e.g.

353-01 - Vodafone
    353-02 - O2
    353-03 - Meteor

Every phone made has an internal database listing off all of these codes with the corresponding network name. The name beside the code (which the phone displays) will be the name that existed at the time the phone was made.

A phone manufactured before Meteor came into existence, for example, might display 'IRL-03' if you were to use it on Meteor.

I'm 99% sure that this database is in the phone rather than the SIM card but I'm open to correction on this.

Hey that makes sense thanks

• Advertisement

Yup it is stored on the phone. Newer phones would have O2 and Vodafone built into it, while older phones would likely have Eircell and Digifone stored in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 DaveK

I think that the SIM card holds the network name; my SE P800 displays my network as 'Eircell Digital'.

The SIM holds the network ID which is used by the phone to determine what logo to display...

For example, if you had a standard nokia 3310 with an old Eircell sim card it it, it would display Eircell. YOu could then download any operator logo, O2 even, any Eircell sim card you insert into that handset it future, will show the O2 operator logo.

Advertisement