Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a question for all you dot ie resellers..

Options
  • 23-07-2003 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Have you ever come accross this scenario....

You register a dot ie for a customer that another reseller may have put forward for registration (6-8 months) before but didnt complete the registration and didnt take payment for it.

The question is this:

Does the original domain name reseller have some sort of 'right' in the eyes of the iedr to be the only ones to register the domain name for the customer (even though they werent competent enough to do this in the first place).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Maybe best to drop the IEDR a line about that one.

The Registry's telephone number is (+353 1) 230 0797

They are a shower of tits to be honest I am only really starting to deal with them now they live in their own little world.

I hear blacknight is good mates with them he may know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭JJSolutions

As far as I know any .ie domain is up for grabs until someone successfully completes the registration.

If the domain is already registered but has expired - i think there is 30 day grace period before the domain can be reregistered by someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Eurorunner

The question is this:

Does the original domain name reseller have some sort of 'right' in the eyes of the iedr to be the only ones to register the domain name for the customer (even though they werent competent enough to do this in the first place).

It is a difficult one. It has to do with why the original registration was not completed. If it was not completed due to a rules conflict, then the chances are that it may be denied again. However IEDR's history of rules and how they are applied is flakey at best. The other reasons for non-registration would be incomplete paperwork. Again the first come, first served nature of registrations would apply UNLESS someone had a trademark on that particular domain. (It would be an interesting court case but I don't think anyone has ever sued on those grounds. Most companies just get p1ssed off with dealing with IEDR and go for a .com) Then if IEDR registered it, it could very well have to suspend or cancel the registration.

If IEDR made a mistake in the registration process that caused the domain registration to fail, then there may be some rights. However it would mean a lot of digging for the failed registrant. If the previous registrar had made a mistake, then the failed registrar would have to take it up with that company rather than IEDR.

If a domain is unregistered and your client can prove entitlement, and IEDR does not refuse the registration, everything should be fine. However if the registration is being done to deprive another company of the domain, then this could arguably be a registration in bad faith and I think that it could be problematic.

Ideally, do as Tom says and contact the IEDR directly. However if it comes down to intellectual property issues such as copyright and or trademark issues, get a professional opinion. And get any response from IEDR on paper as a safeguard.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by tom-thebox
    They are a shower of tits to be honest I am only really starting to deal with them now they live in their own little world.

I totally agree - my god I spent a whole weeking trying to get them to change the nameservers of a domain :rolleyes: One morning someone in there was half asleep on the phone to me, should couldn't talk she was so tired :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks for the info folks.

I think that i may be finally getting this thing squared away. Who could ever believe that something so simple could be so freakin impossible. About 5 weeks ago, i put through payment via the online payment system of a dot ie reseller. Faxed through all the relevant paperwork immediately. I get a mail from them telling me that it will take 2-3 working days. A week later, i contact them for an update and get no response. and so it goes..
    Now, i wasnt in any rush with this to start with and i didnt lean on them but 5 weeks later and no word. Then i call and leave messages or get told 'hes in a meeting'...and when i finally get in contact with the guy, he cant tell me why he hasnt got my domain name registered.
    I think that even though my order had gone in, they didnt want to take dot ie registrations any more....and i dont have a problem with this...but for fúcks sake tell me this...dont leave me hangin.

Anywayz, three dot ie resellers later,
    The deed is all but done through what clearly is a more reputable outfit.

And lastly, if you as dot ie resellers feel that the iedr is leaving you hanging, then dont sell the damn things - and tell your customers why they dont need a dot ie. If i was up to speed on this from the start, i wouldnt have touched a dot ie with a barge pole:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭eoin@host.ie

One of the few advantages of .ie's is that because so few of them are in issue(the total number seems to be going backwards at this stage) , see http://www.iedr.ie/page.php?selection=sitemap&page=custom1 you're fairly sure of getting the domain you want.

Advertisement