Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud, why did u have to go and ruin everything? (FS board related)

Options
  • 23-07-2003 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

I reckon it was cloud fault anyway.

Can some admin cahnge by the name of the sub forum For Sale (where the atual selling takes place) board to Gerneral For sale ot something similar, just so As it can be distingudhed from the Main forum For sale (just the menu). That way I can ban people form that board and they will still be able to enter the Sin Bin to see why they were banned.

At the moment I don't know where they are being banned from.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It was my fault Keeks, sorry.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Keeks

Thats sorted... ive sent you a few messages as well, hope its to your satisfaction.. :) send me you email addy by pm will ya... might me easier to coordinate.

Vex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

coll Vex. Got those Pms too. And yes email might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Adam - It wasn't your fault, you didn't make me click on those two buttons that changed For Sale from a non-posting forum to a category, delete the word "General" from the FS board name and remove the descriptions - I did! However, while it may seem like a small matter, the main issue is that I did so without consulting any of the For Sale moderators, sorry guys. I have a tendency to do first, ask after (or never!), which leads me on to...

Keeks - I think I appointed you as a moderator (Green Issues) and asked you afterwards - deja vú! But I believe that I've only possibly ruined the For Sale section, not everything (and even that was only for a few days). Apart from the one missing word (General), I had restored everything on Monday as you had it before.

Vexorg - I've already apologised to you in private (message) and public, so if you can eventually forgive my intrusions we can all move onwards and upwards...

We all put a large amount of effort into keeping boards.ie going, even when we tread on each other's toes (unfortunately since I've spend a lot of time organising the structure since we began, be it renaming newly created boards or fixing order numbers, I feel some ownership over that job; while Vexorg having revamped the For Sale section over the past number of months should have authority over how he and the other mods want that section to be laid out).

But I am always open to implementation of new features (as you know I recently added the LikeDis functionality), and would have happily added the requested "I agree / disagree to the For Sale rules" feature if the mods had asked me (there is the issue of vB3 coming out, but that could still be a long way off). In the future, I also hope to implement phpAuction linked to the vB user database [1].

I imagine moderating the For Sale boards can be particularly thankless, and indeed I can see a growing frustration in Vexorg and the moderators' posts dealing with muppets on their way to the Sin Bin. But keep up the good work, I certainly couldn't do it.

Thanks for your attention,

John.
    --
    [1] http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72733

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If I might make a suggestion - it's just technical this time, honest - it should be pretty easy to implement the click-to-agree thing by simply prepending a short script to forumdisplay.php using PHP's inbuilt auto_prepend_file configuration attribute.

The prepended file would just need to contain a check for relevant forum id's and a cookie, so that if a user tries to visit one of the FS forums and a cookie isn't set, they get pushed off to the click-to-agree page.

The click-to-agree page could have the submit button disabled, with a javascript timer enabling it after, say thirty seconds, in which time the user is supposed to read the T's & C's. When they click the button the cookie is set, and they get redirected back to the forum they requested.

Since no hacking to the vBulletin source would be required, it should be relatively easy to migrate between vBulletin versions.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Be happy to help implement it if necessary.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by Cloud

But I am always open to implementation of new features (as you know I recently added the LikeDis functionality),

Just curious, how many of the sites in your "like/dis" do you own? ;)

Only 50% Cult :)

Like General FS, perhaps Mobile Phones should be Mobile Phone FS (since it can be misleading when they appear on the main page in the Top 10 list to see a forum pointer to just Mobile Phones). Likewise, Sin Bin could be FS Banned or something more obviously For Sale related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I still think Clouds changes were good. Adams suggestions made most sense from a usability standpoint.

Clouds new proposal is also well thought out and consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

I agree I think Coulds changes were good. On a quick connection the second click is
    just an inconvienience but waiting for that page to load is a pain in the ass on a slow
    connection, and all you do is click on it as soon as the link for Genreal For Sale comes
    up, it certainly dosen't make me take any notice of the NO TRADERS notice. A
    once-off "I agree" that could be stored in the users profile would be much better. Ah
    well, Vexorg has made his feelings clear on this so its probably going to stay the way
    it is, and he does seam to take it very personally if its changed. But seriously, how
    about thinking about us on slow dial-up connections?

• Advertisement

With all the good ideas on how to speed up the forum and make it more consistent etc etc, people seem to forget there is a reason for doing it that way it has been done.

Apart from trying slow up those newbies on slow connections, its there to generally annoy people. Its just one of those things that does not make any real sense, but its like my signiture mark on boards :- just a little chaos in the sanity that is boards.ie. I am the dublin bus of Boards.ie, I am that bloke in dublin corporation who reduces a two lane road to one lane and then orders road works on the open lane. Oh yes ... the mayham and chaos, I bring to boards.ie menu systems is legendary.

Now please more along folks... there is nothing more to see here.

Vex.

PS for those of you who are still greatly troubled by the fact the menu has been changed back to the way it was and have to do so many clicks to get to for sale... can i suggest you add the forum of your choice to your favourites.

Ah now Vexorg, your self-deprecating humor is all well and good but you will have to
    admit you did throw a hissy fit when Clould changed it, didn't you?

Yes I did throw a hissy fit... and with good reason, I spend 6 months working on that forum with Keeks and Blade to have someone change the menu system back to the way it had been without even asking me or one of the other mods.

It was changed back because it was inconsistent! it used to be that way, I changed it months ago, someone asks for it to changed again, I said no... and then it gets changed anyway... of course Im going to throw every toy out of my pram and make lots of noise.... next time I will be asked before a change is made.

Vex.

OK, fair enough. I have to say I don't agree with your reasoning about why you have
    it done that way, I don't think people take any more notice of it there, but then again
    I'm just a newbie, what do I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Ban Vexorg.

.logic.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by logic1
    Ban Vexorg.

.logic.

And Castor Troy.

...wait a sec.

:o

/bind "b" exec big_ban.exe.

b

Vex:ninja:

Keeks - I think I appointed you as a moderator (Green Issues) and asked you afterwards - deja vú! But I believe that I've only possibly ruined the For Sale section, not everything (and even that was only for a few days). Apart from the one missing word (General), I had restored everything on Monday as you had it before.

I'm well used to it but now Cloud. But all is once again forgiven. But u do have a tendacy to act first, think later (like my self).

Like General FS, perhaps Mobile Phones should be Mobile Phone FS (since it can be misleading when they appear on the main page in the Top 10 list to see a forum pointer to just Mobile Phones). Likewise, Sin Bin could be FS Banned or something more obviously For Sale related.

I was actually in the process of sugestiong that to make it more readable. I notice last nite that some users are using he mobile phone forum to get information of unlocking, fixing and other stuff to do with phones but not selling them. Maybe you could have tiles like

For Sale : General
    For Sale : Mobile Phones

And we can add more later if there is a need. I think the sin bin can be left as it is Or just add a forsale in front of it.

Just a thought

Sounds good Keeks, I'll get on it...

chalk it down boy

• Advertisement
Advertisement