Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best record shops in Dublin???

Options
  • 23-07-2003 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

???? anyone have suggestions??? faves?? ones they hate??? etc..........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

Road Records on Fade St, for their friendliness, knowledge, helpfulness, and of course, stock. (Especially their new-ish folk section).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Daylight

You gotta love Road and the Secret Book and Record Store near Tower is always good if you've got time to root around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

freebird can be good, but i'd have to agree with Pearl Road is the place to go for the best in indie music
    tower is probably the best of the big chain record shops. golden discs would be the worst...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Agreed road and tower are the best.
    Goldnen discs is indeed desperate I went in looking for idlewild third album there(Its close and I couldnt be arsed going to town) when it was released and not only did they not have it they didnt have any previous albums had never heard of the band and looked at me like I had two heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Shops that are good =
    Road, Fade St. (for the reasons above)
    City Discs, Temple Bar (beside tbmc, really good selection of second hand cd's, good prices, and generally a very good shop)
    All City (around the corner from city discs, hip hop shop)
    Final Vinyl, Camden St. (Loads of second hand stuff, good stuff in there, it'll just take a while to dig up.)
    Big Brother (underneath Road records)
    Spin Dizzy, Georges st. arcade (only worthwhile if you've got a record player)
    Secret Book and Record Store, Wexford St
    Sound Cellar (across from the secret book and record store)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

Hmv on grafton street or tower are without a doubt the best record shops in dublin. Whats with all the support for the little guys? theyre stock isnt that good, you can get them in someplaces cheaper but you can always rely on the big guys for the album you want- with the exception of independant releases but how often do you buy them anyway?

HMV and (to a lesser extent, because it's quite good) Tower are only useful at sale times and if you buy pop/chart records really, i've always found the smaller shops cheaper, friendlier and tend to stock stuff you just can't get at a decent price in hmv or tower. Also, i've always found that the people who work in the small independant shops have a much better knowledge of their stock, and are much better at pointing you in the direction of new, interesting stuff.
    Originally posted by Saint-dotsie
    Hmv on grafton street or tower are without a doubt the best record shops in dublin. Whats with all the support for the little guys? theyre stock isnt that good, you can get them in someplaces cheaper but you can always rely on the big guys for the album you want- with the exception of independant releases but how often do you buy them anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Ed

Sound Cellar (across from the secret book and record store)

Not so, the Soundcellar is across from Trinity College, being on Nassau Street as it is (beside Subway sandwich shop near Judge Roy Beans). First (and last) port of call for gig tickets.

HMV and Virgin are rip-off merchants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

when was the last time you saw Brando, Wallmark, the 66 electric or any other great irish music in that 3-lettered-hell-hole
    i support small record shops because they have the music i want to listen to! also as metioned above, they know there stuff and are usually nice helpful people.

and thats the end of that chapter....

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Not so, the Soundcellar is across from Trinity College, being on Nassau Street as it is (beside Subway sandwich shop near Judge Roy Beans). First (and last) port of call for gig tickets.

I was thinking about Record Collector which is across from the secret book and record store, and happens to be in a cellar

• Advertisement

I *always* try to support the small trader. Whether it's milk and eggs from my local corner shop, or wine and beer from the off licence, the quality of service is always better, and the staff more knowlegable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 conor-immediate

Smile Records on Georges St: The owner Gary has seen all the rock 'n roll greats live, has written articles for Mojo magazine, and hangs Nick Drake's rug on the shop wall. Good prices and a great book and magazine section at the back with a sign up saying "Rob banks, not small shops" or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Soundcellar. First (and last) port of call for gig tickets.
    HMV and Virgin are rip-off merchants.

danm straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Engulfophobia_m

I was thinking we could get together and do a survey of all the record shops in the city. Purposely send folks out to every shop with queries and wants lists and see how they are treated and then rate the shops and create an updatable website for all to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

I'd be up for doing that, it should prove to be an interesting study!
    Maeve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

maybe they are rip off merchants, but the staff are very friendly in all my experiences in tower (especially upstairs) and to a lesser extent hmv, they both have great jazz selections and genre separations, and without fail i nearly always get what im looking for, helpful they certainly are, almost pressure you into ordering a cd if they dont have it in stock,the only difference in price you would pay 15 euro for a steely dan record where as you woul pay 13 on that stall in the arcade.They have sales e.g. the bends,ok computer for 19.98 in hmv,
    I dont ignore the small shops,in fact i usually get off at caroline records and work my way down to wicklow street,and sometimes over the liffey, i dont like the guy in record collectors(which is a really **** shop) or that small shop (also very ****) off the hapenny bridge,if i can find it cheaper ill buy it but if you dont want to go all over dublin to find a record that is two euro cheaper you should just go to hmv.
    I go cd shopping every week.

Tyrrial i dont like irish music,and if i did i wouldnt like it to the point where i would buy at least one irish cd a week and if i did i would go to road records.

we could even goi as far as using our picture phones to take pics and name and shame the employees in these stores.........we could get major attention:ninja:

if you dont want to go all over dublin to find a record that is two euro cheaper you should just go to hmv.
    I go cd shopping every week.

€2 cheaper on say one cd a week is over €100 a year. Conveniance is a great thing, I agree, which is why I shop online most of the time. Cheapest option of all.

Oh, and HMV and Virgin also attract idiot customers, who piss me off too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Originally posted by Engulfophobia_m
    we could even goi as far as using our picture phones to take pics and name and shame the employees in these stores.........we could get major attention:ninja:

It's been done a couple of times, the slate did it a while back.

Also how and why would it get major attention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

Originally posted by Ed
    i've always found the smaller shops cheaper, friendlier and tend to stock stuff you just can't get at a decent price in hmv or tower.
    agreed man, for example, hmv grafton street dont have metallica's black album, nor will they for the forseeable future (said the 'assistant' who glared at me when i asked her, God forbid lest i need assistance), &tower were charging 25.99 (keep in mind the album's 12years old, &1 cd) euro for it last week .
    RIP OFF MERCHANTS!!

definitely support the little guy, road rocks&you can get discounts if you have the card thingy stamped enough times, legendary.
    &sound cellar, God Bless sound cellar. is there anywhere else anywhere where you can put deposits on tickets that will sell out immediately unless u queue fo rdays? i think not.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by butterfly
    is there anywhere else anywhere where you can put deposits on tickets that will sell out immediately unless u queue fo rdays? i think not.

Don't Comet do the same?

Seriously though, the Soundcellar is the bomb for tickets. Many. many times I've been dug out of a hole by them.

i dont get the whole road fixation in dublin, yes its a nice shop and i sometimes pop in but it doesn't have some labels that it really should, and it never really has any new stuff. that new shop in temple bar is pretty good and the staff are nice,borderline is good for vinyl but the staff sucks

Road most certainly do have new stock. And they frequently have albums ahead of the release date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mingus

matter of interest what cds did u get from them.

Sigur Ros ( ) was the last one. If you subscribe to their mailing list at www.roadrecs.com they send out a very informative list every Fri of new stock and special offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

you Dublin People are spoilt for choice... now for us poor cork ppl there's not a lot of scope... you've got Virgin... HMV... and then there's Plugd Records which used to be Comet Records... one of only two indie record shops, that one is s h i t and the other one is marginally better... good for gettin irish bands, now just think of that and thank your lucky stars that you live in Dublin,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

Cillian in Big Brother under Road Records is sound, they stock everything from reggae to funk to house to electronica.
    Road Records is cool, they always help out new bands who are looking for someone to stock their cd's, something the likes of HMV or Tower will not do.
    The oul lad who owns Record Collector is a moany oul c*ntbag.
    City Discs is good for 2nd hand stuff.
    Tower is far too expensive.

Shanannigan, honestly I don't have shares in the place! But you can order online from Road. The Phantom comp has been sent as far as the US and Norway via their website.

so are we going to kick this off or not???

• Advertisement
Advertisement