Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap DSL Modem for Netsource?

Options
  • 24-07-2003 12:59am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm just about to sign up with netsource, and was wondeirng can anyone recommend a compaitble modem for less than thier €119 asking price. I only have one pc, so don't need a router, just looking for as cheap as possible really... I would orefer an irish source so I don't have to wait for ages for delivery...

Thanks,
    Zascar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Marx Computers

http://www.marx-computers.com

have a USB ADSL modem for €75
    No idea how compatible or otherwise it is.

They also have a four port for €130 which has had reasonable reviews out there.

You could check out
    www.komplett.ie
    www.elara.ie
    www.peats.ie

or possibly maplins. I did get an eTec dsl modem from Maplins but it was a disaster area after the first week. Lost settings and then went nuts after that. Was working fine for the first week. No support whatsoever for them either. Support pages don't exist.

Eventually just got a D-Link DSL 504 from Elara for €160 and its doing the job fine. Good support for it too and widely used by folks here so theres always someone able to help.

Hope thats some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

itdirect have one for €80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Zascar
    I would orefer an irish source so I don't have to wait for ages for delivery...
    it takes up to 2 weeks for netsource to install DSL. thats plenty of tme to shop around for a decent price modem even if the delivery takes a few days.

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

If you get lazy like me you could just stroll upto marx computers in clontarf, I had problems setting up but I got it sorted and havent had any hassle since.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Originally posted by adnans
    it takes up to 2 weeks for netsource to install DSL. thats plenty of tme to shop around for a decent price modem even if the delivery takes a few days.

adnans

Got mine in 2 days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Yep. The line was working with Netsource at least a week before it was due to be enabled. Mind you I only found this out by playing with the router and got quite a land when webpages started appearing on my screen!

Pleasant surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

i seen somewhere, that usb modems are better because you can place them away from the noise of your computer, but not eveyone like's having a box outside their comp, and i can't for the life of me find where i was reading that, maybe some here can clear this one up for us

You can buy my modem off me if you want, I think I'll upgrase to a router modem combo so I can get my other mahcine hooked up.

Cost me €75 from netsource, I'll sell it to you for €65, not bad for a modem a week and a half old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Mr.Taz
    Got mine in 2 days :D

4 working days for me :), happy as larry like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

are you lot in some sort of a cahoot with Netsource? i've just been confirmed the date and time. 2 weeks and 1 day from the ordering date. this is mainly due to the ISDN being in the house :( damn your cahooting selves.

adnans

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Actually, while this thread is here, can anyone recommend a good DSL/router for me? I'd imagine there would be 3 machines using the connection, so a 4-porter of some sort would be good. One that does everything and is, hopefully, not gonna cost more than 150 quid.

Also if I don't want Netsource's modem, do I get to save that 99 self-install or do I still have to pay it? Cheers

I'm selling Zascar my modem and buying a modem/router/switch (4 ports) from Marx computers tomorrow for 130 :)

It costs €99 for the self install without a modem.

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
    I'm selling Zascar my modem and buying a modem/router/switch (4 ports) from Marx computers tomorrow for 130 :)

It costs €99 for the self install without a modem.

Scarily quick reply :)

Presume you're talking about their Q-Tec 584AA model - any word on how decent it is? Or is it some crappy piece they have to flog off cheaply?

And does self-install come with any splitters or do I have to purchase them seperately?

The self install comes with 1 splitter for the modem and a phone and 2 noise reducing things you put onto other connections where only a phone is coming out of the wall.

The Router is supposed to do its job well, its made by E-Tech or Q-Tech (one and the same) using Conexant bits which are standard in a load of modem/network gear.

The firmware you use is conexant and it will even show up in your comp a conexant hardware thingy.

I'm selling an E-Tech modem which I found erfectly capable and easy to use :)

The self install comes with 1 splitter for the modem and a phone and 2 noise reducing things you put onto other connections where only a phone is coming out of the wall.

The Router is supposed to do its job well, its made by E-Tech or Q-Tech (one and the same) using Conexant bits which are standard in a load of modem/network gear.

The firmware you use is conexant and it will even show up in your comp a conexant hardware thingy.

Merci. There's only one line in the appartment so that's all I'll need :)

Coming soon: ixoy gets people on the Technology board to help him build the PC he'll be putting the modem in...

2 noise reducing things

DSL Filters :)

Originally posted by MrPinK
    DSL Filters :)

que?

;)

Are you getting an internal or external modem ixoy?

Putting a PC together is fairly straight forward, the hardest part is putting the heatsink on and thats cause your applying force to the mb and your afraid you'll break something.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

I already have a router : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106394 ... I choose that one for the print server.

So I need a "simple" ethernet modem, which one should I use and where I can get it?

I can get the Q-Tec 584AA ADSL modem from Marx but as I won't use all the features, I might find something cheaper (under 100€)?

Raphael

Most external modems i've looked at in ireland are USB, so to get an ethernet one you might have to order from overseas. I'd look in america for one as it'll cost you less than a british one due to currency convertions and shiping.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Most external modems i've looked at in ireland are USB, so to get an ethernet one you might have to order from overseas. I'd look in america for one as it'll cost you less than a british one due to currency convertions and shiping.

Is the US Robotics (c.f. Your Post) not working?!

Thanks
    Raphael

• Advertisement

Its a usb one, I found out the other day, i think they have a more expensive one thats RJ45 but at €95 for the usb model you'd probably be better off ordering from overseas or getting the all-in-one from Marx.

I got my ethernet modem (DSL-300+)from Elara. You'll also be able to get one from itdirect.

Are you getting an internal or external modem ixoy?

Putting a PC together is fairly straight forward, the hardest part is putting the heatsink on and thats cause your applying force to the mb and your afraid you'll break something.

Well if it's a modem/router thingy, like with Marx computers, then surely it's external?? Or am I missing something :S

Yeah, I did heard that the messiest bit is the heatsink, and making sure that you don't bend pins out of the way. Naturally, having a computer science degree from trinity has made me completely incapable of actually doing these tasks, altho' I could about the theory of how they work..... On the plus side, I've got someone well used to it all helping me out. My main questions will be the power of the system to get versus a budget of about 800-900 euro...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just sent off my application for Netrsource, and got this reply:

Thank you for your order please send confirmation of acceptance of domain name.
    A domain name is a minimum requirement for a soho package.

Kind regards

Kevin Breheny

Is this true? It doesn't say anything about this on the site! Their charge for domain names is redeculous!

Fraid it is true. They a double asterix saying min. requirements apply and a corresponding one beside the domain name pricing. ie domains usually cost €125 ex VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I'd look in america for one .......

In my experience, buying from outside the EU is a false economy, as you get hit for VAT on delivery. In my case it was from Brando in Hong Kong, but it would also apply to deliveries from the States.

I've bought lots os stuff from england and america without getting chased downa bout vat but if you want to insure you dont get it just ring the company your ordering from and ask them to write 'Repaired parts, value €30' on the box = problem solved :)

Advertisement