Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web design course

Options
  • 24-07-2003 6:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hey dudes,

where would be the best place to do a web design course? i work full time so it would have to be a part time course. Fás do web design courses. are these worth doing?

i thought there was a post or two in the sticky links section but i was wrong. any help would be appriciated.

jaz?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

well i am at this very moment doing a fas web design course in Cork and i find it pretty good. I guess it depends on how proficient you r at html flash already. If your pretty good good at html all ready and know it pretty much then i wouldn't think there would be much point in doing the course, maybe just for the certificate. We r doing the CIW foundation in web authoring fundamentals, internet fundamentals and networking?? Were not really doing much flash. Just 2 weeks of. I'm not to sure what they would be doing in the night classes though. I guess it could be the same as the full-time courses?By the way what county r u from? cuz i'm sure they is also some decent courses on in some plc's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

www.webintellect.ie

Look for their Professional Webmaster diploma courses. Very good. Dublin based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

They look good, pricy at 1000 - 1950 for the 3 webmaster courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

Originally posted by suppafly
    By the way what county r u from? cuz i'm sure they is also some decent courses on in some plc's.

corkk.. aw yeah!

is it the day time web dev course you're doing. i've heard good things.

jaz?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I post this up whenever people ask this quesiton but i think it's important to know.

Most web design courses are nothing of the sort. They're usually just web building courses, and teach you HTML or Dreamweaver, and nothing of design.

Also, most HTML courses don't teach you anything about web standards or good coding techniques either.

If you're choosing a course ask them about web standards and see what they say. (o:

If you've any more questions just yell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by p
    I post this up whenever people ask this quesiton but i think it's important to know.

Most web design courses are nothing of the sort. They're usually just web building courses, and teach you HTML or Dreamweaver, and nothing of design.

Also, most HTML courses don't teach you anything about web standards or good coding techniques either.

If you're choosing a course ask them about web standards and see what they say. (o:

If you've any more questions just yell.

Cool thanks for that, I was thinking of doing one.
    College is probably a lot worse, so i guess the only way is to learn by experience? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Two good sites for courses are:

Night Courses
    Corporate Training

Both sits have a massive database of courses so you should have no problem in finding on that suits you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by Webmonkey

College is probably a lot worse, so i guess the only way is to learn by experience? :D

Why?
    There are members of the W3C in some Irish colleges who lecture all the time, not to mention some of the other technology groups such as MPEG etc.
    You could do a lot worse than getting a proper qualification in IT.

Originally posted by blacknight
    Why?
    There are members of the W3C in some Irish colleges who lecture all the time, not to mention some of the other technology groups such as MPEG etc.
    You could do a lot worse than getting a proper qualification in IT.
    Blacknight,
    I'm just listening to people that were at college, they said it was dissapointing the amount they learned.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I can understand that, but the issue is very simple. If you don't get a nice little piece of paper you will end up running into brick walls later.
    University/ third-level is not only about getting a degree or whatever, it's also a wonderful opportunity for a person to expand their horizons etc.

• Advertisement

I can understand that, but the issue is very simple. If you don't get a nice little piece of paper you will end up running into brick walls later.
    University/ third-level is not only about getting a degree or whatever, it's also a wonderful opportunity for a person to expand their horizons etc.

Thanks blacknight. You have a point there :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm just listening to people that were at college, they said it was dissapointing the amount they learned.
    Yes but what is the difference between what they learnt in college and the amount they were taught?

It was the amount they were taught they were complainin about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I thought this might be useful,

HTML Primer

I used this when I was learning HTML and I reckon that I'm doing alright at it. It has a PDF version aswell if you want to print it out.
    I consider web design courses a rip off, considering about 75% of what you'll learn is in that link there.

There are members of the W3C in some Irish colleges who lecture all the time, not to mention some of the other technology groups such as MPEG etc.[/QUOTE]

Who?

Webmonkey, go to college. Doesn't matter what you do really, but it's the best craic in your life, and even if you don't get taught a lot (and that varies wildly depending on the course) the important thing about college is that it gives you the oppurtunity to teach yourself. When you're working 9-5 you'd be surprised how little you care about tinkering around with new things when you're done.

Good luck,

- Kevin

Originally posted by p

Who?

Webmonkey, go to college. Doesn't matter what you do really, but it's the best craic in your life, and even if you don't get taught a lot (and that varies wildly depending on the course) the important thing about college is that it gives you the oppurtunity to teach yourself. When you're working 9-5 you'd be surprised how little you care about tinkering around with new things when you're done.

Good luck,

- Kevin [/QUOTE]

Good advice thanks :)

And you'll get more sex too

hehe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by p