Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new car tax ?

Options
  • 24-07-2003 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

This will outline proposals to levy a new tax on motorists and other fuel-users based on the "polluter pays" principle - a requirement under the Kyoto agreement.

someone please tell me this will replace car tax and wont be in addition to car tax, vat and vrt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Tourist

Well, I think we pay enough tax when comes to petrol/road tax/VRT. Petrol tax will be there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

So does this mean on top of VAT, Excise Duty and road tax that motorists are again going to get shafted by another tax.
    As usual they go for the soft target. You already pay a huge ammount of tax for a car with a big engine so in a sence the polluter is already paying. We need to look at what is being done with that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may mean a rebalancing of the various taxes to create a situation where most of the tax is paid on the fuel used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

We are already paying tax by fuel used: Fuel tax.

It will be a tax on how much emissions it generates in using that fuel.
    In the UK its already based motor tax not on engine size but emissions if im correct. At least for corporate cars.

Originally posted by fluffer
    We are already paying tax by fuel used: Fuel tax.
    Yes, but you would pay much more in the UK or France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

In Ireland, we pay highish fuel tax (near enough the European average I think). About 75%-80% of the price of fuel in most European countries is tax. The AA I think have more detailed info on prices across Europe - a quick bit of googling should yield more concrete info anyway.

Most European countries don't have VRT however (just oursleves and Denmark I think). And out VAT rate is on the high side.

We also pay road tax based on engine size, which means the bigger your car, the more you pay. To some extent this adheres to the 'polluter pays' principle, though it doesn't account for the cleaner emissions of diesel cars compared to their petrol counterparts.

In the UK, road tax is on a two tier system - 1000cc or less, your tax is £100stg, over that it's £155stg. There are plans to change this to a system based on CO2 emissions. Not sure exactly what it's going to be though.

Already in the UK, benefit-in-kind tax on company cars is based on the CO2 emissions of your car. There are a number of brackets ranging from 18% to 35% tax liability based on emissions, with a 3% reduction for cars meeting Euro4 standards. The liability is calculated on the list price of the car and taken off your salary as part of your income tax payment. Probably more info on the AA website on this too.

Originally posted by Chimaera
    In Ireland, we pay highish fuel tax (near enough the European average I think). About 75%-80% of the price of fuel in most European countries is tax. The AA I think have more detailed info on prices across Europe - a quick bit of googling should yield more concrete info anyway.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/petrolprices/
    http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/eupetrolprices/default.asp

Thsi actually puts us in the lower price category in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Any change in Petrol prices will rise normal services which will mean price increase for most of the things again

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭xlex

they won't tamper to much with fuel prices, the border trade is a worth a healthy few quid in trade and taxes... Still I think this counrt and government are trying to get extra cash in to cover the **** they find themselves in, I'm cautious about anything this government try...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Apparently VRT was introduced as a 'temporary measure' some time in the late 70s/early 80s

Now look at how much we have to pay when we buy a car.

In Ireland we have a low pre-tax price on vehicles. It's a pity that 70% of what we spend on a car is tax though... (saw this on RTE a while back)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

It may mean a rebalancing of the various taxes to create a situation where most of the tax is paid on the fuel used

i'd love to believe they would do this, reduce the other taxes and increase fuel tax but i doubt it harney is flapping her lips saying the carbon tax shouldnt harm industry so of course poor ole pleb will be stuck with a new tax probably we may need 4 discs on our cars in future

really hope i'm wrong

Originally posted by rcunning03
    so of course poor ole pleb will be stuck with a new tax probably we may need 4 discs on our cars in future
    Think really hard and tell me what the extra disk is for (and don't say parking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Think really hard and tell me what the extra disk is for (and don't say parking)

1 disc for insurance, 1 for tax, 1 for nct and 1 for the carbon tax

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Silent Bob
    Apparently VRT was introduced as a 'temporary measure' some time in the late 70s/early 80s

Our governments have a habit of introducing 'temporary' taxes for one reason or another and these end up being permanent because as usual in this country people don't stand up for themselves and just let it go. I think it was a case of VAT being introduced(or increased to 21%) originally to help out either the ESB or Telecom Eireann but when the company recovered VAT remained at 21%.

Originally posted by rcunning03
    Think really hard and tell me what the extra disk is for (and don't say parking) 1 disc for insurance, 1 for tax, 1 for nct and 1 for the carbon tax
    Not necessary, road tax will take care of engine size, petrol excise the volume of fuel consumed - the two main factors involved. No need for extra disks.
    Originally posted by LFCFan
    I think it was a case of VAT being introduced(or increased to 21%) originally to help out either the ESB or Telecom Eireann but when the company recovered VAT remained at 21%.
    I think you are getting this confused, VAT was increased on utilities and the ESB and Telecom Eireann were only allowed pass on part of the increase to domestic customers.

Advertisement