Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Status of Navan Exchange

• 24-07-2003 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I've just been informed by EsatBT that the Eircom Navan exchange is not enabled for IOL/EsatBT's residential service, at least not for my line.

I applied at the end of June, and gave a username/password on 7th July.

Yesterday (23rd) I called to check why I still had no modem and was informed that nothing had happened with my account and that someone would call me back (thanks to "David" in customer services) when they got an update from Eircom. Later in the evening I phoned again, and spoke to "Michael" who gave me pretty much the same story.

Today (24th) I spoke to "Gavin" in customer services who told me my application was "70% complete" but since he didn't know what that meant he transferred me to sales.

I then spoke to "Ruth" in sales, who informed me that the initial line check at the start of the month had come up green, but now was coming back red. She helpfully gave me a number for Eircom so I could follow up why this was the case. The number 1800 504 503 is not in service.

I asked "Ruth" about the business option, and she told me that the business lines were on a different exchange. So I was routed to a business sales person. This person cheerily informed me that my line was coming up green and that she would post application forms out to me.

Does anyone know the real number for Eircom, where I can find out what the situation with the exchange is?

Thanks

dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 supergingerdave

Sorry for following up my own post, but I'm just off the phone to Netsource.

The information I got there seems to contradict what Esat were telling me.

Netsource told me that my line was last checked on 19th July and passed. However this would be on the Eircom exchange, and the sales person I spoke to noted that Esat use their own exchanges outside Dublin. So I must conclude that Esat's Navan exchange is not available to me, but Eircom's is.

I was told up-front by Netsource that my line speed could be below the quoted 512/128 speed due to the quality of the copper lines - something that Esat didn't mention.

If I get any more facts I'll add them here.

dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Dave,

Bottom line is, Esat have been giving you the run-around. The eircom exchange in Navan, although enabled, has not been launched. Esat are not in a position to take any orders for resold DSL on the exchange at the moment, since eircom are obliged to give 28 days notice of intention to launch service at exchange, after which time any of the resellers can also offer the product.

As regards Esat's business package, they use their own DSLAMs so they do not have to resell the product.

The correct no. for eircom Sales is 1800 512 128.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Gombin is spot on ....I wish I knew how he knew all the finer details :)

ESAT tested your line for their Business product (available in Navan) rather than the IOL Residential product (not yet available in Navan ) and you failed that Business test which is more demanding than the Residential product test.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Muck, me auld flower,

Years of practice, that's the recipe for success:p (or so I hear, at least).

Regards.

I passed the EsatBT business broadband line test this afternoon, so I've asked them to send me out the forms.

I spoke to Netsource @ around 12 noon, who claimed to have gotten a success when they did a "line test" (they checked my phone number and said DSL was available to me). The person at Netsource said they would email me setup forms, but I've yet to see them.

I'm actually having fun, in a perverse sort of way, trying to get DSL. It reminds me of when I had to go to the Demon offices with a floppy disk in order to get the software I needed to get online (with my 2400 baud modem) ...

I'll follow up when I hear from either Netsource or EsatBT

Dave

• Advertisement

I got a reply today from Netsource, just under 24 hours since my original enquiry (I emailed them yesterday evening, just in case they made a mistake with my email address)

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

I have been through exactly the same process with ESAT in Navan, around May their website claimed availability on the Navan exchange.

I applied and received forms etc, even got as far as them calling me for my username / password about mid June, then a couple of weeks passed and I got tired of being patient and gave them a ring.

After getting the run around for about twenty minutes I was informed that DSL was not available on the Navan exchange yet and they were not in a position to offer me the service after all.

Strangely I had been told that my line had passed all the tests and was suitable.

I also rang Eircom and was told the same thing from them... later in the year but not yet available.

Anyway I decided to stuff Esat and go with UTV instead when its finally available. I havent trusted Esat since the whole Surfnolimits debacle!

Whats the situation with the business DSL service.... is it available in Navan?

I'm just off the phone with Netsource, who checked after I said I'd had problems getting the service, and confirmed that the Navan exchange indeed is not ready.

However they suggested I send in the forms anyway so that they can beat Eircom up over the number of people waiting.

I think I'll check back with boards.ie, the most reliable source of information thus far.

dave

I've just gotten negative feedback from IOL, to say that they've tested my line and I'm either too far from the exchange, or the cabling is too old in my area.

FYI I live in Navan just behind the loreto convent on the kentstown road, in a new estate built < 5 years.

I've been trying to get DSL since june.

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

Perhaps you should contact eircom first as I did..... I argued with eircom to get an engineer out to my line... after he called and replaced the master socket, my line passed the test.... then I signed up with UTV ....LOL

Im in kilcarn court.... an old estate built in the eighties.... I believe the exchange is on the trim road near chadwicks but Im not 100% sure about this.....

good luck in your quest to get BB.... its worth it.....in the long run.

Sean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement