Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do? (long story)

Options
  • 24-07-2003 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I havent registered because I post on the boards under another name and I dont want either myself or the college that I'm describing to be identified.

I have this problem;

I have just left college after 5 years. Its a small college where everybody knows everybody. It's also an extremely badly managed college. During my five years in the college I was very active in different societies and in the students union. I was a student officer for the last year. I also became involved in a student newspaper. The newspaper covered stories which were controversial and not liked by college authorities. The then editor and myself and another person were threatened with libel/slander (not quite sure of the difference) because of one particular story. It was also indicated quietly to our lecturers that they didn't have to give us high marks. After that story we covered another one slating the management of the college. Suffice to say we were very unpopular with the senior management team in the college. (just so you're aware of the background)

OK, this year when I came into the students union a new person was appointed to a senior management role in the college. Because of both the nature of my role and this persons we had to deal with other on a regular basis. At first this happened, then it was indicated that he would only deal with the President. This person was ex army and extremely demanding and bullying. Several people who worked under him left because he was basically forcing them to do the work of three people. At several times during the year he accused the union of lying (not directly), he blocked the union from action on or two issues.

The thing is several times during the the year, he was extremely rude and ignorant to me.

I was fed up with this and recently lodged a formal complaint about one incident which took place recently with the college.

I'm asking people should I take this complaint further or just drop it.

I am aware that if I take the complaint further that there is a high possibility nothing will be done.

Also it could damage relations between the union and this person

(within the context above I should mention that I was at one time considering asking the President of the college for a reference and advised against doing so by a person who said that the President could be vindictive)

I am not sure if I take this action further could it unleash the vindictiveness of either of these people and that this could in some way harm my future.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by unidentified
    The then editor and myself and another person were threatened with libel/slander (not quite sure of the difference) because of one particular story.
    Libel is the written word, slander is the spoken word.

I doubt anyone here can help you, it's a far too complicated problem for someone here to make a valid judgement on. I think it's up to you, you need to weigh up the pro's versus the con's and decide if it's worth the hassle or not.

By the way, I don't hold out much hope for your anonymity. Anyone even remotely familiar with the situation will be able to identify you pretty quickly. Most people here would prolly be able to find out with Google. ;)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well you have left the colleger and I think if you feel that you/the union were being treated unfairly etc then I suggest you seek legal advice. I don't think people here will be able to give you a fair/unbiased opinion. Most students at one stage or another want to shaft their college for one reason or another. I'll leave the thread open, but be warned if it turns into an abuse-fest (yes I made that up) I'll lock it. So be good people ;)

And don't name colleges, we don't want to be sued either ;)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

And Anyhue its the law now that people cant give you a bad reference they can only refuse to give you one which is kinda paramount to the same thing i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Id say takem down for it big time. I used to work in the Unions of my colleges and had lots of fun but did let mtslef or anyone else get mucked around. The thing here is that you will be taking a risk, but at the end of the day you can say it not my problem any more (which is fair enuf) or you can take the fight to them and not leave it up to the next person coming through.

It your choice, but remember that if everyone said someone else can do it then notthing would get done.

Advertisement