Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an mp3 player...

• 24-07-2003 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

Loa folks,

Exactly as the title states. Im looking for a decent mp3 player that can hold a fair bit of music.

I've been looking at <a href="http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=28355&t=1901&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=47&GrpID=1&s=pl">this</A>.
    It seems the biz apart from the hefty price tag...now ill get it if people say its a good but id be just as happy to have a bit less space and cheaper. 20gigs really is a little overkill :p

i was also looking at 128mb muvo mp3 player aswell but 128mb is a bit little for me tastes. Any players out there with around 1gb of space?

Any suggestions/tips appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Id reccomend a mini disc instead of a mp3 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Get an i-river mp3 player: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=35920&t=1901&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=47&GrpID=1&s=pl

Fair enough, it only holds 256mbs (there is a 512meg version which my bro bought last week after seeing mine) but I guess it all depends on your needs. This suits me down to the ground, it looks cool, it's so small I forget I have it in my pocket some times, battery life is great even with a rechargable AA. It can hold about 90 average tracks if compressed with wma. 90 is more than enough for travelling or in work or whatever.

Then again a juke box would also be cool, check out the apple ipod, but tbh, although I have about 30 gigs of mp3's on my PC at home, I'd say I only listen to about 5% of them on any type of a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

if you are going to get one of the iriver player (the 256mb one rocks - it has a radio too) get it from www.mp3cola.com.

they were 190euro (the exchange rate to usa is wonderful @ the moment :-) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I have the Zen myself. Not a bad player, although a little on the chunky side. On the other hand, Creative have made some maddening decisions, my biggest gripe being that it is NOT a USB mass storage complient device. Which means you need to install drivers on the host machine to access the hard drive. The sound is very good, though.

The iPod is really nice, but also really expensive. It is mass storage complient, small and easy to use. Of the mp3 players that I have physically seen, it's the nicest.

Archos have some interesting stuff in their range that you might want to check out. I've never seen one, and have heard some bad reports about tech support. However, they seem to have a good following.

iRiver are going to be coming out with a 10GB player in the next few months, probably targeting the iPod market. I don't think it will be cheap enough, although I gather it will record... which is a plus.

Keep in mind that if the device is mass storage complient, then you have a portable hard drive too. This is important to me, but may be less so to others.

Zab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yer currently have a mini-disc but decided to upgrade it so to speak. Its fairly heavy and carrying all the extra mini discs is a pain.

I initially was looking for something small but then saw the 20gb storage and fell in love :p

The i-River 512mb might just be what the doctor ordered. I'll have a look into it. 90 tracks is all i'd need for my s 2week holiday :)

(Got an mp3 player about 4 years back but couldnt change the music easily and only held about 40mins worth so switched to MD but these days they hold a fair bit more so thought id investigate a bit :) )

Thanks for help/advice folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

This is just one 'shop' on e-bay selling MP3 sticks, the handy thing with them is you can store data & record as well.

256MB MP3 PLAYER & RECORDER 256 MB USB DRIVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The Magic Star is good. Comes with its own LI battery for about 20hrs use. The sound is WAY better than the muvo.

128mb is €99

Back From The Future on Aungier st, have a few solid state, CD-ROM and HD based mp3 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Will have a look in back to the future tomorrow then on way back from college (damn re-sit fees). Where about is it on Aungier street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

are the iRivers shock resistant? Ie if i was cycling or running would they be any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the freecon beatman flash is the mutz nutz imo :)

base memory of 64mb but takes flash cards so u can buy as many as u like, tiny little thing with a great lcd screen, look it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Or get a nice archos one :D
    http://www.archos.com/products/special_offers.html
    Theres some good specials atm
    I have the mmjb which plays both mp3's and videos so its quiet handy
    and i modded it from a 10Gb to 40Gb for €170

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭alanc

I bought a 'discman' MP3 player, a sony Atrac3plus, only have it a while but think it's class. I can put 11 to 13 full albums on one disc. Bought it in Dixons in jervis and across from it in the sony shop they were €50 dearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Minidisc will soon be obsolete. They are ancient technology. What you want to do is go with MP3. Such players are upgradeable to be able to play future formats, no player as of yet supports OGG to my knowledge but that is all about to change in the next year or so I reckon.

If you are looking for a CD player choose Iriver (www.iriver.com)

Imp-550 is the best mp3 CD player out there, ultra slim, 55 hr battery life, regular firmwave updates, shock free and pretty cheap at only about 170euro including delivery from www.neutronexpress.com (so far the best resource I have found for the player)

If you want Flash based player choose Iriver.

I don't know too much about these as they don't interest me at all, not enough storage for me (as I have approx 60GB of MP3s) However I do know Iriver have the best player. These are the smallest players yuou will get so far.

If you want a hard drive player, you decide.

Battery life for such players is not too good, the best is 16 hours per charge (held by IHP-100). Great storage, More features than CD player such as voice recording etc (flash players also have this)

Iriver have the IHP-100 coming out, its got the most features and functions (inlcuding a beautiful LCD remote) however the price is very high as it is just 10GB. The IHP-200 will be out later which will be 20GB, neither of these are good enough for me as the storage is too low.
    Ipod. well established and very popular, good player but not many features, no LCD remote etc. Value seems good enough.
    Archos(www.archos.com)- AV-340, 40gb, wide LCD display for playback of Video, many features including attachable Camera/Camcorder. Works out at about 550euro from www.neutronexpress.com, however, you may get stung by customs and excise bringing total cost to approx 650euro.
    Philips. They have a HD player about to be released. It is supposed to be good competition for Ipod and Iriver. Not too sure about specs etc but check it out!

DO NOT BUY ANY OF THESE PRODUCTS IN IRELAND! Ireland is a rip off and so is most of europe. www.neutronexpress.com is so far the best place I have found for value.
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

I have one of these and its been great so far. bout 14-15 hours battery, fm radio with presets, microphone (decent too), i dunno bout the 128mb version tho-very little space. recharges off the usb port. great little player imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

I-River products are supposted to be very good. how about an Ipod? they look cool and are suppost to be also very good but they are a bit big compared to the flash mp3 players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

with the iRiver iFP-190TC and the rest of the range how much music can you store on it at 128kbps? and do you know does it support mp3 pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

iriver are great products. 128kbps works out at about a minute per meg, so 64MB will be about 1hr of music. Actually it could be more? It all depends on how many MP3s you have I suppose, with flash, you will be constantly changing whats on your player. So if your away and you want music, youre gonna have to do with whats on it. With a CD player you can take loadsa CD's and have a fine selection, 14 albums approx per CD. With HD player you will have a fine selection and wont need to bring anything. Anyone selling Creative Zen 60gb?

Advertisement