Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xp2600 333mhz into an 266mhz mobo?

• 24-07-2003 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

Is this above possible? WIll the cpu err underclock itself so to speak? or is this total nonsense im speaking.

I've got a feeling i should know this but i dont seem to.

Thanks for reply. (also any decent 333mhz mobo's (compatible with 400?) would also be appreciated)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Theres no problem putting a 266mhz fsb processor in a 333mhz mobo you wont have to change ne thing in the bios either.:)

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

It will only mean that your processor will only use 266 as opposed to 333 fsb speed.

Might be worth changing the board if you want the true performance of the machine (333).

Look in the bios and u will see the speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yeah i've the same problem atm.
    Because its only a 266 board my chip only runs at xp2000 speeds
    Have a look at http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=35391&t=845&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=10&GrpID=5&s=pl (400fsb)
    and
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=28635&t=845&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=10&GrpID=5&s=pl (333fsb) if your looking for a good mobo atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

i currently have an xp2000, if i were to stick an xp2600 into my 266mhz board what speed would it run at?

Thanks for replies and for the links ppc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

If your motherboard supports fsb overclocking you can push the fsb up to the cpus default of 333Mhz or 166 x 2. So if an athlon xp2600 runs at 2.083Ghz with 166FSB the multiplier is 12.5 so if ur FSB is 133 it'll run at 1.66GHz which is equal to an athlon 2000 as PPC said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

I would propose that you first check you motherboards specs!
    Some motherboards support only CPUs up to the Palomino-Series (up to 2100 Mhz with 266Mhz frontside-bus).

The XP2600 (Throughbred) has different core-voltages and will not run in that motherboard.
    When your MB only support 266 Mhz there is a minor possibility that the CPU will not run.

When your MB support the Trhopriouzghhghsggdbgbred (stupid word ;)) it is no problem to run it with 266 Mhz.

regards,

jow

As it is atm ive got my xp2000 running at 144mhz fsb (i assume then this is x2?)
    ie ive got it running at 1.85ghz (up from 1.66) without touching the multiplyer. Anymore and it becomes unstable but i assumed this was to do with the voltage as i hadnt upped that at all.

Mobo i got is the Asus a7v266-C.

info here - http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/partinfo-id-4178.html

What exactly am i checking to see if it will take a cpu higher than 2100mhz? Surely this wouldnt matter anyway unless i wanted to overclock the xp2600 which it seems wouldnt be much use anyway as i'd need to 'overclock' the boards fsb to get it anywhere near the xp2600's stock speed?

Jow: the word you looking for 'thoroughbred'? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Your current board's limit is prob 144Mhz X 12.5 = 1.8ghz. That board will use low level multipliers if you try to go to 13 or 14 (ie it will use 5 or 6 giving you very low speeds :().

Would definetly recomend upgrading your board otherwise mabye get a Xp2500 (runs @ 1.83ghz - barton core) wouldnt be far from what its suppose to be running at.

With a good board you could overclock the Xp2600+ to 2.3-2.5ghz , would be a bit of a waste to put it into your old one IMHO.

Prob the best overclocking & performing board at the min is the Abit NF7-S 2.0 , it will support 400mhz FSB and has so many overclocking options (tiz the board im using at the min).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if you unlock the multiplier on the chip your laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Even if you unlock the higher level multi's your FSB will be very low & you wont be getting the most outa your system. Some Pc3200 ram, NF7, that Xp2600+ and your talkin pretty decent performance @ stock. Set the auld FSB to 200Mhz and multi to 11.5 / 12 , and then you will be getting the most outa that chip.

Other than that suppose unlocking the Multi's is the way to go.

• Advertisement

i have stuck the fsb to 150 and had something like 1.9ghz but it was very unstable. ie crashed when i tried to load a game :p

Reason im asking is that there's a xp2600 for sale on the for sale board and i couldnt be bothered buyign the chip and motherboard at once. i want the 2600 then the mobo then the new 400mhz chips.

Its a gradual thing, ADSL will be draining all me cash. €110 a month will do that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The xp2600 has the same multiplier as your current xp2000. As others have said, your motherboard is limiting your maximum speed. So, if you bought the chip you would more than likely end up with a machine that ran the same speed, but a little cooler. I think you should forget about the xp2600, get a barton ( twice the l2 cache, faster clock for clock ) and a new ddr400 ( nforce2 based ) motherboard. I don't think your system is slow in the meantime. Save your money for the dsl and a new monitor or mouse.

Right thanks for replies folks. I'll probably just stick with what i go so unless something comes up cheap on the For Sale board.

Advertisement