Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which company for a leased line?

• 24-07-2003 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't want to waste time asking for quotes to a lot of companies so maybe I can narrow to just a few with your help?

Is it for a company, in Dublin, with 10 employees.
    Reliability and speed is more important than the price...

For the moment we're sharing the access provided with the building but this is not a realiable, pings are awfull!

Thanks for your help.
    Raphael

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Colt NTL Worldcom ESAT Eircom in approximately that order of quality and price they will all take 4-6 weeks to provision ...including Eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Thank you Muck!

I'll stick to the 3 first...

Raphael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Have you checked the wireless options too? IBB and Leap both have good offerings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Leased lines are constant speed eg: 64Kb / 128Kb but you should be on a 1:1 contention ratio.

So they are steady rather than fast... - but you don't get contended out of it by other users,...

Also if you have another office that already has Internet access you'll probably find it cheaper to get a leased line to it and share the internet. (esp. when you take into account costs of firewall & benefits of slow file sharing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

In terms of quality I'd go Esat, Eircom, Worldcom. If it's only for 10 people though I'd go with DSL or Leap Wireless. Esat do 2Mb DSL for €340 a month:

http://www.esatbt.com/ie/products/access/dsl/index_Pricing.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Thanks everybody for your reply...

I don't know exactly what kind of access we have for the moment... The only things I know are:
    -It was NevadaTele.com now it is energis.com, find out from the IPs
    -We are not dealing with Energis directly, this is the landlord's job. When something is wrong... it is a disaster "oh yes internet is down?!"... good reason to change.
    -On the router LCD, I can see Bitrate: 512Ko...
    -If I do a test here here, I get 336.8 Kbps (42.1 KBps)... The max downloading speed I got was near 64 KBps.
    -The ping from or to our server are very bad for a leased line! (average today to google.com: 113ms, to boards.ie: 93ms)
    -This connection is shared by (in the building) around 25 computers... so the 1:1 contention!
    -Our server is used for email and FTP, so the speed can't be too slow...

Well, is a 2Mb/256K DSL (esat) for 10 PC + 1 server (mail+FTP) will be better than what we have?

Raphael

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ie. 48 sites with ADSL will share the same bandwidth.
    (each of which may be a warez monkey or an internet cafe or an SME or a DIVX'er or a normal resedential customer subsidising the rest)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I just got 346Kbps and I'm on Netsource RADSL.... you'll surely do much better with a 1Mb DSL line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

The contention on the business dsl packages is 24:1, even so you'll probably never notice it. So with a 2Mb dsl connection you'll probably get 200KB/s most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 r1vers1de

With a 2meg DSL you could have you own hosting company

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Ive used esat eircom for DSL and esat comes out on top for speed and uptime. One of our 512 lines runs at about 700kpbs..... Ive never notice an effect with the contention ratio and the lines are coming out of busy exchanges.
    Originally posted by r1vers1de
    With a 2meg DSL you could have you own hosting company

Not so. No matter if you had a 4mb line your upstream is still only going to push 256kbps (32bytes) a second up to clients, hosting requires a good upstream connection. SDSL :) But the again DSL is not a guaranteed service.

Advertisement