Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

If I have my rumours right the ripwave testing is going quite well indeed and may be a very promising solution. None of this is gospel just what I've heard from someone who was looking at getting wireless broadband in and what they were told by the lads doing the a site test to check signal strength etc.

If so theres a lot of potential upset for Eircom as imagine what happens if people realise they don't need a landline anymore? Good news for the mobile operators though.

I know several people ready to dump their landline once wireless broadband is feasible. Not to mention incredibly cheap compared to landline and wired broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Just as a note, I think the band that RipWave is being used to transmit on is owned by either NTL or Chorus. I also think that the power output of the omni (or whatever they use) is a lot lower that what is legally allowed in the U.S. But if the trials are going well then great! It's exactly what Ireland needs. Non LOS Wireless is the way forward ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

I feel if the testing of Ripwave does succeed I feel there will be a price war. I know one has to be within 5km of a base station to get this wireless broadband option. Base stations are starting to crop up all over the place.

Best thing also is that it is mobile and I hope this will come in because I do a lot of travelling around the Dublin area.

Machalla about site testing, can you just call the people out and get them to check that you will be able to receive this service or can you only do this when you order the product? I live within 1km of the base station in RTE so I feel that there is a chance I can qualify....

The sooner this service comes in the better. I use broadband in work but I don't have an I-net connection at home.

Thanks.

XP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

It looks like a great service with 512/512K for 30E a month, but the problem with wireless is that it isnt Very secure with Gaming pings, and that Xbox live isnt combatible with wireless BB. But if ur in it for the Downloading Side this looks great.

For more on this Ripwave product go to www.boards.ie - Community - Ireland offLine - Service Issues. There is a whole piece on that.

XPTHink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

just ring IBB and tell them you want a site test (to see if you care within range/sight for ripwave broadband, and then they'll probably ask you where you live, and say theres no need, as you're within shouting distance of a base station. orn they'll tell ya that ou need one. EIther way you find out whats neccessary.

Rapid Mutant_Fruit Rapid.....I think I will pester them today on my lunch break.

XPThink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

seams to be the best option yet. wouldnt mind droping the land line have no use for it apart form the net.

does anyone know if wireless is effected by bad weather?

Rrolfe i believe http://www.navini.com/pages/products/cpe.htm

has the answer to that. As far as I have heard, depending on what kind of bad weather is going on, it might have a small affect on the signal.

I'm not fully sure.

Go to the Community board- Ireland Offline - Consumer/Service issues- and choose the thread "new Ibb Product". That might let you know

XPThink

Advertisement