Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Banks For Online Banking

Options
  • 24-07-2003 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

Just wondering any opinions on which is the best bank for online banking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

I'm with AIB and I find their facilities very good, I pay my rent, credit card bills etc
    from it, in fact I don't think I've stepped inside the door of a bank in about a year!

Also, this is a big factor for me, their website works perfectly with Linux.

I have no experience of any other bank online facilities, but theres nothing I've wanted to do that I couldn't with AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

yeah i've heard the AIB are gr8 when it comes to online banking. Has anyone any experience with the TSB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

bank of irelands service is pretty good...

for some reason though from about 11pm till about 6am the service is dog slow and unusable... maybe its being backed up or transactions are done in batch, i dont know, but the system is unusable and its supposed to be a 24 hr service...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    yeah i've heard the AIB are gr8 when it comes to online banking. Has anyone any experience with the TSB?

AIB's is one of the better ones. I've used TSB's offering and found it terrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'm with NIB's recently launched Internet Banking service, and it is excellent. I've heard others complaining about difficulties when setting up new payees for online payments. AFAIK, with AIB you have to call them to do this. NIB lets you set up new payees online, and do individual or recurring payments to them. It also lets you export to Quicken or MS Money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by RainyDay
    I've heard others complaining about difficulties when setting up new payees for online payments. AFAIK, with AIB you have to call them to do this.

I use both AIB & Ulster Bank, but I rather Ulster Bank, as with AIB you have to ring them to set up third party accounts for transfers etc. whereas with Uster Bank, you can do it all yourself online!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I also use AIB and find the online & telephone banking services to be excellent. However with AIB's massive charges I'm closing all accounts & cards and I'm moving to TSB. I hope their on-line services are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been tempted to move from AIB recently too. Looking at NIB...

I have no complaints about AIB's online service. I find it excellent.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hate the way to you have to ring up Banking 365 to setup a thrid party account transfer, espicaaly if i only want to use it once.

I cant stand that.

Why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I use AIB 24hr online, I find it excellent and even though you have to phone them to set up some stuff their customer services reps are excellent and very helpful. I have a 365 account also but as I'm AIB staff it's handier to use 24hr online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by TmB
    I've been tempted to move from AIB recently too. Looking at NIB...

I have no complaints about AIB's online service. I find it excellent.

- Dave.

Dave I'd say your looking to move for the same reasons as me... back charges. TSB offer free banking if you have a adverage balance of €1,000.

Oh God I should've started this thread before I opened an account with the TSB. I have to say the TSB are extremely helpful with everything but there online banking system is dreadful. I wish i had opened an account with the AIB :(. Sure you can top up and buy shares online and everything with the AIB. Even though the TSB do offer a lot of info on their site about taking out a mortgage but i'm not going to be getting one of them for a while. Era... they might improve in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭asmith

I've just moved from BOI to NIB and I find their online banking much better. For one thing you can setup payees online instead of having to call them. Plus they don't charge fees (so long as you stay in credit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

I do like the Ulsterbank system, with one small exception. The security system involves them sending a certificate to your PC. All well and good until you are round at a friends house, or worse still abroad, and want to check your balance or pay your Visa bill or something. Short of carrying a disk everywhere or leaving it permanently on an accessible email account its not much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

i use banking365 and it's grand. sure you have to ring up to set up accounts and stuff but I think that's just for security reasons and to prevent the
    "I'm not sure what account number I put in so I don't know where my mortgage money has gone" calls.
    I use billpay.ie for paying bills as it keeps a record of all bills, when they were paid etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by asmith
    I've just moved from BOI to NIB and I find their online banking much better. For one thing you can setup payees online instead of having to call them. Plus they don't charge fees (so long as you stay in credit)

They don't charge fees at all if in credit? Not even ATM transaction fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by irishgeo
    Hate the way to you have to ring up Banking 365 to setup a thrid party account transfer, espicaaly if i only want to use it once. I cant stand that. Why is that?
    Perhaps because they want to be secure (paranoid?) and have a tape recording of your voice the instruction.

Originally posted by Exit
    They don't charge fees at all if in credit? Not even ATM transaction fees?

Nope - No ATM fees with NIB's Freebank a/c - Govt stamp duty for cards does apply, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

I am using BOI 365 and one thing really annoying is the deconnection after few minutes... you check the account, go to Money to do some updates... and when you are back to BOI website you have to login again because it says the page was inactive for more than 5 min, most of the time I'm sure this is less than 5 minutes!!
    So I have to login 2 or 3 times per session! :rolleyes:

Raphael

Yeah its the same kinda thing with AIB site but at least you know your account is extremely secure!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sci0x
    Yeah its the same kinda thing with AIB site but at least you know your account is extremely secure!

How does getting a telephone operator to set up a new payee make it more secure than allowing you to setup a new payee yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

How does getting a telephone operator to set up a new payee make it more secure than allowing you to setup a new payee yourself?

The operator will do more security checks than the internet site, to try and be sure it is the account holder they are speaking to before setting up a new payee

Plus all the calls are recorded - so there is no dispute if something goes wrong - either you got it wrong, or the bank did. Plus the added security that having your voice on tape brings when it comes down to a question of security.

Originally posted by l3rian
    The operator will do more security checks than the internet site, to try and be sure it is the account holder they are speaking to before setting up a new payee

How can they be sure? Unless they personally know the voice of each & every customer, or they are using CIA style voice recognition software, they can't be sure. They can ask you some of the usual oul security questions (maiden name, pets name, credit limit etc etc), but getting an operator to ask these questions doesn't make it any more secure than getting their web interface to ask those questions.
    Originally posted by BuffyBot
    Plus all the calls are recorded - so there is no dispute if something goes wrong - either you got it wrong, or the bank did. Plus the added security that having your voice on tape brings when it comes down to a question of security.
    Are you sure all their calls are recorded? I know they tell you they may record calls, but I'm not sure that they actually do this for every call as a matter of course. Can anyone with inside knowledge confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can anyone with inside knowledge confirm?
    That would be telling ;) I suspect very few of a bank's staff would know. As the call is a freephone or lo-call number they also have the number it was dialled from (because they get the bill / caller ID)

Are you sure all their calls are recorded? I know they tell you they may record calls, but I'm not sure that they actually do this for every call as a matter of course. Can anyone with inside knowledge confirm?

Yes. I used to work for one of the banks and spent 6 months covering maternity leave for one of the supervisors in the telephone banking centre. All calls were recorded, archived and stored for 7 years (much as banks must keep paper documents for 7 years). There were many occasions when the recordings would have to be listened to on a day to day basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Richieh

Originally posted by daveg
    I also use AIB and find the online & telephone banking services to be excellent. However with AIB's massive charges I'm closing all accounts & cards and I'm moving to TSB. I hope their on-line services are ok.

The sooner the new 'banking passport' system comes in as in other countries, the better. I will then be doing as you are and moving from AIB because of the outrageous charges being applied. At the moment, it's just so much hassle to change dd's etc. I thought e-banking/e-commerce was the way to go? Why then do AIB charge 30c for every electronic transaction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Indica

I have accounts in BoI and NIB. Also had one in AIB(closed this year). Having used internet banking from all three, I have no doubt that NIB has the best! It lets you manage Standing Orders online, setup 3rd party payments etc.. Also has secure mailing.

Above all it is completely FREE (Freebank account)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Dave I'd say your looking to move for the same reasons as me... back charges. TSB offer free banking if you have a adverage balance of €1,000.

just a couple of things on tsb "free banking" its not as great as it sounds cause if you look at the brochuere you still have to pay for a lot of transcations credit transfer/bill payments etc

the major problem i find with tsb is that you cant withdraw money from an atm machine as soon as you leave the republic (except boi,aib,ub in northern ireland) but there online system is better than bank of ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement