Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus?

Options
  • 24-07-2003 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I think I might have a Virus or Viri!

What is happening is my Virus scanner AVG then i tryed Norton and that also keeps shuting down by itself when scanning and shortly after being opened. I think i may have a virus that's shutting the program down would i be right. Now anyone know how i can check if i have any and how to i remove them
    I might add that for a time a had no scanner installed; i know, i know stupid "but it wil lnever happen to me" :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I think i've managed to run a scan of the C:\ drive which turned up nothing any other reason why this could be happening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

K, tried two online scanners the fist gave this

Possible Virus. No disinfected

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.ATTIC\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ddrive.js

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ddrive.js
    C:\hp\bin\ddrive.js

C:\WINDOWS\system32/divx.dll

C:\WINDOWS\system32/divxdec.ax
    Trj/HotKeys Disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\system32/H@tKeysH@@k.DLL
    D:\hp\patches\24WW0DDR\ddrive.js

then the symantec one said there was no virii but the problom is still there anyone got a clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Tried restarting the anti-virus or re-installing ?
    All I can think of atm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

try a virus scan in safe mode. THat'll make sure that only one av scanner is running and stop and viri from interfering with your software.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by LoLth
    try a virus scan in safe mode. THat'll make sure that only one av scanner is running and stop and viri from interfering with your software.

Right just tried that and with the latest updates to norton and in safe mode it was not being disabled and ran a complete scan twice but it came up negitive, no virii went back into normal mode and it's still happening. So could it still be a virus or something else? anyone got any idea? please help cause my hp recovery partion is curupt so i really don't wanna do a reinstall cause the XP install is on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

going by the files you listed above,

try having a look :

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_HOTKEYHOOK

I think i might have fixed it by a process of elimination by closing processes with ctrl+alt+del a process called vdms.exe was causing the problom i have disabled it from starting in msconfig but before deleting it from the windows directory i'd like to now what it is i googled it and there isn't much on it, there is talk of a virus but it's in a different languge so i can't read it. Anyone know what it is? thanks

K here's and update i submitted the file to symantec even though NAV said there was no virus the got back to me and said they found Trojan.OptixKiller in the file and that they are adding it to there beta update. So i feel good and and upstanding guy right now. :D

Advertisement