Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Xp oem

• 24-07-2003 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

OK ok ok i know im pushing my luck at this point but eh :D

Window,s Xp oem is 107 euro compeared to 220 euro for retail version on komplett Im assumeing Xp oem works just as well as the retail just that you get no box no manule etc etc etc

However i really just want to be sure its a lot of money .....

So
    1.Does it work just the same

2.is it as easy to install first time (IE stick it in the cd drive and off it goes )

3.Will i need to use boot disk,s to format my HD ? or is window,s xp plug and play (you know what i mean)

4.IF the disk doesnt work when i get it from komplett do i have any come back ?

5. has anyone here got XP oem ?

Secondly the a7n8x deluxe seem.s really easy to set up look,s like it pritty much jumper less etc .......... But has anyone worked with one installing it etc how did you find it ?

Thanks again lads
    I know im asking a fair few questions lately but its my first build and 800+ euro is a good bit of money
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Oh ya can i just Format a hard drive on this pc then stick it into my new pc ?

then just install windows xp oem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by bizmark
    1.Does it work just the same
    Yes.

2.is it as easy to install first time (IE stick it in the cd drive and off it goes )
    Yes

3.Will i need to use boot disk,s to format my HD ? or is window,s xp plug and play (you know what i mean)
    No boot discs for me. Provided that your CD drive is actually bootable (conforms to the El Torito standard and all that), you'll have no problems. Ever booted the drive using any other CDs? if yes, no problems.

4.IF the disk doesnt work when i get it from komplett do i have any come back ?
    Assuming "if it doesn't work" means "faulty disc" you can get it replaced. If there's hardware on your system that's incompatible with XP, caveat emptor applies (caveat emptor should be written in big print on every MS OS box anyway). If the disc isn't faulty I can't see any reasons you'd need any comeback to be honest.

5. has anyone here got XP oem ?
    Yes. Works fine, installed it from scratch on a laptop that had previously had 98/ME/2000 on it. No difference between it and retail, no problems.

Oh ya can i just Format a hard drive on this pc then stick it into my new pc ?
    Yeah, you can if you like. if you don't do that it'll be done during the XP install anyway (you still get to pick partitions and so on)

Save your 113 euros. Buy lots of drinkies or curly wurlies with it.

Cool thanks m8

If there's hardware on your system that's incompatible with XP

Dont think so its all new stuff that,s going into the new pc

amd 2500xp barton
    A7n8x deluxe
    Corsair 512meg xms3200 pc2700
    msi Cd rom
    Sony floppy drive
    60 gig hard drive
    Geforce fx5200
    Big Tower dragon range
    360 watt psu

they should all be compatible seeming it,s all new technology

i hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

To be honest bizmark, Microsoft's claim that XP supports more hardware than any older version of windows is truly bang on. Most people who have a PC that'll run XP won't have anything incompatible. You'll certainly have to grab drivers for your graphics card from the Net, I presume, but other than that you really should be fine.

As an example of incompatible hardware, I've an old hand-held scanner that I'm pretty sure doesn't work on XP but given that I haven't used it since 1996 I'm not that pushed.

Ok then thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just remember for the future that M$ OEM products can only be used on the MB they were bought with - the license is non transferrable.

You are supposed to pay the FULL RETAIL LICENSE FEE or buy a new copy of OEM each time you buy a new computer. You can buy an UPGRADE version as long as you uninstall the OEM version which you can't use again.

Microsoft really need the money - they only have $49 Bn in their warchest.

This is what they mean by freedom to innovate - they invent more restrictive licenses all the time - read the XP licence and you will see that you are giving them rights to access your machine,

The first windows 95 CD cost $300 million to make. The second one cost 3c .

/RANT

PS. try www.openoffice.org ....

LOL

ya like im going to follow that rule :D

mircosoft can kiss my shiny metal ass the only reasion i use them is because their,s no other OS other their for gamer,s yet anyway

Btw openoffice seems to be notting but a free office suite ?

good idea though more free opensource stuff the better

Advertisement