Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem installing Fujifilm Finepix S304 Digicam!

• 25-07-2003 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is the right forum for this or not so, if it's not, feel free to move it. And before any smart arses say it, yes, I have Googled for any information I could find and I have done a Boards search but to no avail. So this post is my last resort. Not to put any of you out there under any pressure or anything! :D

A guy I know has just bought a Fujifilm Finepix S304 digital camera and I'm trying to install it on his PC. Now, this thing has seriously started to piss me off with the amount of problems it's throwing up. It seems that as soon as I resolve one problem, another pops up. But now, with the latest one, I've hit a complete brick wall and seriously need some help.

Firstly, all the software would install except the Finepix Viewer software (for actually looking at and downloading the pics off the memory card), which kept throwing up an Installshield error ("1608: Unable to Create InstallDriver Instance") which I managed to trace back to the fact the Client For Microsoft Networks client wasn't installed. Once I did that, it installed fine.

Rebooted the PC as I was supposed to, turned on the cam and plugged it into the USB port. Started detecting new USB devices, okay, no problem. Detecting Fuji Finepix Camera 020724, takes f**king ages but gets there in the end (though it does very quickly blue screen and reboot during this processs - see below - but continues on when it boots up again). Starts detecting Disk Drive (seems the XD memory card can be used as one or is setup to be recognised as one for the purposes of reading and writing to it), goes no further than that. Also, sometimes plugging in and out the USB cable or turning off the camera causes a very quick blue screen (and i mean quick, literally a millisecond so you can't read it) and reboots. This is the where I can't go any further, past the Disk Drive setting up phase. The process just seems to stop, leaving the dialog box on screen and slowing down the computer to such a crawl that even trying to shut it down takes ages. And I've tried uninstalling everything and starting from stratch but once I get this far it happens again.

So, anyone here have any similar problems with this camera or software and, if so, were you able to resolve it? The system I'm trying to get it up and running on is an Athlon XP1800+ with 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB hard disk (still plenty of room left) running Win2k Pro. I've tried it on my own P4 1.8 with 256MB RAM running Windows XP and no problems. I'm thinking maybe that Win2K could be f**ked here (even though I installed SP3 to hopefully inprove the situation), but I could be quite wrong. Please guys, any help or suggestions would be appreciated as the guy really wants this back ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

[edit]downloaded some different USB and other drivers as well but to no avail, just before someone suggests that one as well![/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I run a FinePix F601 off of both a Win2K system and an XP system (although primarily the XP system)..

Sounds very much OS-related..
    Any other USB devices plugged into the machine? Any problems with those?

My recommendation: Upgrade his OS to XP (re-install from scratch - without performing an upgrade)...

One last ditch effort: Did you run windows update?
    It may find additional patches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Thanks for replying Krusty. I did try Windows update as well but to no avail. I think you're right that it's OS related (I was even fairly sure of it myself anyway). His installation seems a bit flaky at the moment anyway and probably needs a good re-install. He did have a crappy SiPix (or something like that) camera installed before he bought the Fuji so I wouldn't be surprised if there's something there somewhere still conflicting or just plain acting the b***ocks with it despite being uninstalled and me having a good old root around through the registry and elsewhere to make sure it was all gone completely (I probably missed something! :( ). The SiPix was a pure, gold-plated pain in the arse to get working before and a pretty dodgy camera anyway so I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, I'm going to take the "safe-and-sure" (I hope!) route and pull an all-nighter tonight re-installing Win2k for him (time to get the old coffee brewing! lol). Like I said, it kind of needs it anyway. I'll make sure I install the camera first thing after re-installing Windows and his basic drivers so there won't be anything else on the machine that could possibly conflict this time. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yeah, sounds like a good time for a clean os install tbh.
    i got a finepix a204 the other day & that installed & works perfectly under xp home...

oh yeah, after i first installed it i tried plugging the usb cable into a different slot & restarting.
    i reckon it was just down to that slot being dusty or something (it was well & truely caked!) but the pc failed to recognise my keyboard & mouse when i booted...
    i'm 99.999% sure that was down to dust... but the camera could be fussy about where you plug the usb cable in...

Advertisement