Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Astronomy Calander

Options
  • 25-07-2003 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

This is an ideal forum to allow people who are interested in events throughout Ireland to learn about them. People have already mentioned the Astronomy Ireland Star-B-Q for August and the Connaught Star Party. I also know about Whirlpool (with David Levy!!!) and Cosmos. What else is out there?
    This forum is also ideal for discussing the merits and demerits of these events (not the organisers mind, don't anybody be bold!). We can't go to them all, and if we had to choose, we ought to be making informed choices. For example, I'll be going to Whirlpool and Cosmos, mainly because they are local to me. I'll be going to the Star-B-Q 'cos it's free and it's a bit of craic. NO ONE can charge entry to a public car park. It's also the place where you have most of the kids around who you can help out, maybe inspire or at leats encourage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Hi,

These events are quite different from each other. It depends on what you classify as a star party.

COSMOS and Whirlpool, for example, are weekend long events that typically start on a friday night with a lecture, then observing, then more talks/discussions/debates on the saturday, then food, then observing, then a couple more talks on the Sunday morning.

The IAA seem to have a monopoly on day long events! For example a couple of weeks ago (the weekend there was load of sunspots typically!) there was a `Solar Day` in the grounds of Armagh Plaetarium, with demonstrations, bbq, informal talks etc.

The AI Star-B-Q's are observing nights, but there is food available and I think there is a slideshow or lecture beforehand.

For showing stuff to the gerneral public (and kids!) the best is something like the IAS Dublin Sidewalk Astronomers group. Earlier this year for example we did a free public watch at sandymount tower car park. Basically a few folks turn up with scopes and some of the experienced observers can talk through aspects of astronomy as people come by. All very informal, lots of light pollution, but you get people who would never travel to a star party or who have never looked through a telescope before coming up and having a go. A couple of hundred people easily wander past and had a chat. AI occasionally do a similar public watch, and I think most meetings of the SDAS end in observing nights where people can just wander up.

Then theres the regular society observing nights, which vary from club to club.

Finally there are the one off events, the IAS and IAA for example had telescopes out in Dublin and the grounds of ciry hall in Belfast for the Mercury transit.

Cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    www.irishastronomy.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭bartificer

I'd have to agree that all these events are very different.

IMHO, if you are intereseted in hearing world class speakers then nothing beats the Whirlpool. Last year they had John Dobson (of the Dobsonian telescope fame) this year it is Leavy (of comment Schumaker Leavy 9 fame). COSMOS is also very good at getting speakers but they tend to be more national rather than international figures. However both are excellent weekend long events.

I have never been to an AI star-bq so it would be very unfair of me to give an opinion of them.

Bart B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Agar

What I'm really looking for here is a list of events for Irish astronomers, whether they're star-parties, lectures, conferences, or whatever. While there are a range of different events, what we don't have is a list of all these events. Help me out, and others reading this too!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Well I can quote you AI's list, in general.

There's a lecture on the second Monday of every month held in DCU.

There are two Star-B-Qs per year, one in April and the other in August.

For August there are a host of Mars watch events all around the country.

More events are being added all the time but the lectures and Star-B-Qs are the usuals.

AI also hold an exhibition - Astro-Expo in November. It was held in DCU last year and it's planned to be there again this year.

Details of all events can be found on the website:

Astronomy Ireland Webpage

Hope that helps.

Maybe Albertw can add a few from the IFAS etc?

There are a number of events being held by IFAS member clubs, to find out what is going on you should go to the individual clubs web sites, a list of which can be found at www.irishastronomy.org.

In the future www.irishastronomy.org will be providing a centralisd news service wher eall IFAS members can advertise their events centrally. This is due to be ready by the end of September (or as soon as I get round to coding it all up!).

At present you will also find some details of club events on the bulliten boards at www.irishastronomy.org/boards. (Note, although these boards are moderated no topic of conversation is baned as such)

Bart B.,
    IFAS Web Master.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by halenger
    Maybe Albertw can add a few from the IFAS etc?

As Bart said they will be on the www.irishastronomy.org webpage. Though the IFAS dosent run events per se. Its an umberella group of all (bar one) Astronomy clubs in the country, each of whom will run their own events. Though many clubs though will have their own loca observing nights star parties etc. and won't necissarily post notice of these nationwide. So join you local club!

Club observing nights, lectures etc. are generally free.

Cheers,
    ~Al

This from the Shannonside Astronomy Club folks. Some of you will have seen it mentioned in Astronomy Now and on radio recently.

--
    The annual Whirlpool Star Party for 2003, the premier astronomical event for amateurs in Ireland, will take place in Doolys Hotel in Birr on the 26th, 27th and 28th of September. This year's event will again be in Doolys Hotel in the square in Birr. This is an easy walking distance from most town accommodation and from the castle itself.

For those who have not been at one of our Star Parties before, the format is as follows. Registration starts on Friday evening, and the lectures start on Saturday morning at 10.30AM when the Earl of Rosse opens the proceedings, with presentations spread over the next two days, and between times, a tour of the Birr telescope in the Castle demesne, the excellent new Science center (entrance to both is included in the registration fee) and a dinner on the Saturday night (paid for separately). There will be observing sessions on Friday and Saturday nights, weather permitting, and an astroquiz after dinner on Saturday nighht. We are, as always, very grateful to Lord Rosse and his family for their support and use of the castle grounds for observing. We have been very lucky so far with clear skies for five out of the last seven years. What other Starparty in the world can boast the accompaniment of a working 72" Newtonian telescope and the opportunity to actually observe with it?

As usual, we will have club stands, a stand for secondhand items, for anyone who has equipment or books (astronomical) they want to sell and usually a few trade stands including the Armagh Planetarium, with a wide selection of books, slides, posters and videos, etc.

The cost will be 50 euro for the entire weekend. A list of accomodation near Birr can be found on the SAC website: http://www.geocities.com/shannonsideac/

Speakers this year include:
    David Levy, David Levy is one of the most successful comet discoverers in history. He has discovered more than 20 comets, some of them using his own backyard telescopes.

Fred Espenak, NASA eclipse Expert, and author of NASAs eclipse website.

Kelly Beatty, Executive Editor of Sky & Telescope magazine.

Chris Lawton has worked on design of the computer astronomy software - Redshift

John Mason, Writer, broadcaster

Also in attendance are likley to be some of Ireland and the UK's best known astronomers.

For further details please contact David Bell at sdbell at gofree.indigo.ie.

See you there!

AI also hold an exhibition - Astro-Expo in November. It was held in DCU last year and it's planned to be there again this year.

Details of all events can be found on the website:

Astronomy Ireland Webpage

Hope that helps.

There was a little discussion here about other people exhibiting at this "astro-expo". It turns out that other astronomy clubs will not be taking part, as A&S have refused to give the South Dublin Astronomy Society a stand as they would be competing for membership (despite SDAS being free to join, and localised to the Dublin area). Its A&S Ltd's event so they are entitled to do as they wish, however it does not reflect well on them and their claims of wanting to help irish astronomy and not just their company/NPO/whatever.

CHeers,
    ~Al

Just got the latest AI/A&S Ltd. propaganda mail.

The usual self-gratifying stuff but this line really caught my attentions considering their refusal to allow South Dublin Astronomical Society (SDAS) have a stand:
    This is the one event in the Irish astronomy calendar where everyone
    interested in astronomy+space comes together to meet up.

I'm pretty sure SDAS are interested in Astronomy and/or space!

I just wish I could buy A&S magazine WITHOUT supporting AI because I just get sooooo angry about the half truths and propaganda they force-feed their members.

Bart B.,
    VERY disgrunteled AI member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

It does indeed look bad IMO, Disapointing, I might say excluding other parties can only detract from the event but as albert says it's their party and they can do as they wish.

Ryan

• Advertisement

Can you post official correspondance saying no?

Or even the mail to AI saying that they wanna set up a stand?

I'm neither defending nor supporting AI so don't hound me over it. It's none of my business.

Redshift: it's an extremely disappointing turn of events indeed.

Can you post official correspondance saying no? Or even the mail to AI saying that they wanna set up a stand?

The message about this was posted to the irishastronomy.org board by the SDAS president John Flannery. He may supply you with the correspondance if you need it (pm for his email if you dont have it).

Cheers,
    ~Al

Very disappointing... That's all I can say.

On a slightly different note: no AI has never paid to be put higher on search engines etc. Never been a need. It's a long running domain name and all the pages would have astronomy and ireland on them somewhere and space in a lot of cases too. This would bring it up the rankings I'd guess.

I had a lot of this "ranking" junk mail forwarded to me while I was webmaster but a) never been a need and b) it was simply junkmail.

*stops going off topic*

I must say I am disappointed about that anyhow.

What about ILPAC? Will they be at Astro-Expo?

What about ILPAC? Will they be at Astro-Expo?

I'll be at at an IFAS imaging workshop in Athlone the weekend so won't be there. Dave Gradwell (our Offally co-ordinator!) will be mentioning ILPAC and giving out leaflets about us though at his talk. Also we simply don't have enough material to have a stand yet. However I will be writing an article for A&S to get in touch with the subscribers, as for the other exhibitors, I think we have made contact and esablished support from most of them already.

Next year I'll think about it, though ILPAC would be looking for members and volunteers, is supported by "competing societies", and would be promoting our web page, which is sponsored by all the "competing societies" so we may not even be allowed!

Cheers,
    ~Al

Below is a reply from AI to someone (not me!) who sent them an email.

The `common sence` he refers to is rather peculiar. Anyone familiar with COSMOS, Whirloppl etc. will be familiar with other clubs having leaflets and stands at those events.

Cheers,
    ~Al (no longer a member/subscriber to Ai/A&S Ltd)
    Reply received from David Moore (AI). He also asked me to point out that he responded to my email while under time pressure finalising the arrangements for Astro Expo.
    David Moore wrote:
    Let me clarify.

Every individual in Ireland is indeed invited. Doesnt matter what club or clubs they belong to.

Astro-Expo is an Astronomy Ireland event. Astronomy Ireland will be the only astronomy club exhibiting at this event.

I would have thought that was common sense. I don't know who told you otherwise but I'm sure it was a genuine mistake. Would you expect TESCO to invite SPAR or SUPERVALU to exhibit at an event that TESCO organised?

That said every member of SDAS (and indeed every other club in the world) is welcome to Astro-Expo. Indeed, please do what you can to get them along.

There is no dis-respect intended to any club, in this country nor any other country.

Regards,

=====
    David Moore BSc FRAS,
    Chairman, Astronomy Ireland, P.O.Box 2888, Dublin 5.
    Editor, "Astronomy & Space" magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I just want to clarify something was SDAS specifically excluded or was it not in the scope of the event to allow other clubs? If it was the former then it is indeed bad but if the latter is the case then TBH I wouldn't personally have a problem with it as I previously said it's their event to run as they see fit.

Hi,
    Originally posted by Redshift
    I just want to clarify something was SDAS specifically excluded or was it not in the scope of the event to allow other clubs? If it was the former then it is indeed bad but if the latter is the case then TBH I wouldn't personally have a problem with it as I previously said it's their event to run as they see fit.
    Its allegedly an exclusion on anything that may compete with "Astronomy Ireland" for membership, though for example the Planetary Society are there and would be competing more with AI than the SDAS would. So the exclusion is biased somehow.

Their logic only makes sence in the context of a corporate event. This is billed as an inclusive event for all interested in astronomy, when in fact it turns out (yet again) that its only purpose is to raise the profile and profits of a AI/A&S Ltd. You cant follow their logic and conclude that this is an inclusive event for people interested in astronomy, which is what A&S are promoting it as, thats the problem that people are having with it.

The issue has only arisen with the SDAS as they were the only club to ask if they could exhibit that I know of, and got a slap in the face for their efforts at bridge building with AI/A&S from what I can see.

Ah well its the people of Dublin who loose out in the end. Guess the IFAS clubs will just have to promote themselves harder.

ooh clear skies outside.... just as well cause even I have had enough of the politics involved with dealing with AI at this stage!

Cheers,
    ~Al

I think we've all had enough of politics in general to do with Astronomy!

I wonder if they have these sort of problems anywhere else in the world or do they just get on and enjoy the hobby?

I can understand David's/Redshift's points... It is an Astronomy Ireland event but then again SDAS has how many subscribers? Could they really be considered Competition? I would think a person could be both SDAS and AI, even David has made this point (not pointing to SDAS in particular).

The main goal of the larger society should be to support smaller societies. We're all interested in getting people interested in Astronomy in the end of the day.

Let's all form a NEW astronomy society again! :p I'm sure that'll definately sort out all the politics. We could call it "No Astronomy Politics Society", or "The Sociecty for Prevention of Politics in Astronomy" and then we can make a rival/help group, for those who love the politics "Astronomy Politics Anonymous."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I was at this AI axpo thingy today.
    It was unbelievable how bad it was and how much these guys make on the equipment they sell on.
    check this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=1214107#post1214107

Advertisement