Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammer ostracised

Options
  • 25-07-2003 6:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I think it is a shame that even at the highest level, the HT is being treated rather poorly. The World Athletics final is being held in Monte Carlo. The Hammer throwers will compete in Hungary.

Where would you rather be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭MartinNutty

Now Ed some of our Hungarian readers may find that comment of yours offensive ;) .

Maybe the way forward for the throws is to run our own meets with a marketing effort specificallt to promote the throws.

How about a Kanturk(Home of Dr Pat I believe) Open in the Hammer?

The Worlds Strongest Man competion has carved out its own niche, why can't the throws?

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Ed Healey

Well Martin, where would you rather be, especially if all the other throwers were in Monte Carlo?

I for one, although I hope to be in Hungary for the event, would much rather Monte Carlo.

I may be in a minority, but I see the throws as an integral part of athletics and although the IAAF may not agree with me, I would like to think that most other athletes feel the same way.

Ed

Personally I'd prefer Hungary, for a meet. Monte Carlo holds little appeal for me.

Couldn't agree with you more that the sport is track & FIELD... some folks seem to have forgotten that. Was any rational put forward as to why the hammer has been pushed out?

Martin
    Originally posted by Ed Healey
    Well Martin, where would you rather be, especially if all the other throwers were in Monte Carlo?

I for one, although I hope to be in Hungary for the event, would much rather Monte Carlo.

I may be in a minority, but I see the throws as an integral part of athletics and although the IAAF may not agree with me, I would like to think that most other athletes feel the same way.

Ed

Technical reasons according to the IAAF. Too lazy to build a circle I would think.

Monte Carlo is handier for me, and it is a lovely place. If the entire meeting was in Hungary, then I would prefer to be there.

Technical reasons.... sounds like a major engineering project to construct a 7 foot circle and add a cage.... wonderful catchall "technical reasons" sounds soooo complex :-)

Martin
    Originally posted by Ed Healey
    Technical reasons according to the IAAF. Too lazy to build a circle I would think.

Monte Carlo is handier for me, and it is a lovely place. If the entire meeting was in Hungary, then I would prefer to be there.

• Advertisement

I seems that if theing get a bit technical, the IAAF refers them to the Technical Committee. These gentlemen then decide to:

1. Cut down the number of throws/attempts.

2. Make the sectors narrower.

3. Send those pesky hammer throwers to Eastern Europe where they belong!

It seems that the Monagasques are afraid that the hammer may penetrate the pitch and damage the concrete roof of the parking garage/swimming pool on top of which the facility is built.

Now, if they are able to engineer a facility like that, it seems that they could find a way of protecting the structure from the hammer as well. That is, aside from banishing them to Hungary!

These people allow F1 cars to race through the city streets every year. Surely a hammer or two is nothing in comparison!

Advertisement