Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys

Options
  • 25-07-2003 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

I was wondering about child development (After the cartoon discussion on this forum), and we all seem to have gone down one path after watching the same cartoons, while others watched My Little Pony etc.. Just wondering what toys did you all play with?

Personally I was Lego, all the way. And Technics from about 8 onwards. Great stuff.

So where you a Barbie boy/girl, G.I Joe, An apprentice torturor of bugs and small creatures, a baby doll that urinated, or turning cardboard boxs into any all places in the universe kinda person?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

I only liked toys that did bitchin' things, like Transformers. I also loved Lego, I still do, actually. I also still love Gundams. Unf.

My favoritest toy everer would have to be my teddy I've had since I was 4. 'Cause he was the first toy I ever personally picked out, and I still have him, after 12 years of cuddly bedsharing. I'm such a child.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭stevanavich

toys eh?
    as a youngster i played with many a delicate object, vases, glassware, etc.
    though not toys exactly, they were what i played with. but with that said, i used to have a fine collection of little figurines, most of which did nothing but stand there.
    thats where the awesome power of imagination takes control.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

Lego all the way. still use it . sometimes.
    the odd batman figurine. they were/are deadly.
    football.
    Nintendo came along some time after these.
    ah the joys of childhood. they were my best years. why didn't i ever listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

lego.

dinkies (aka little cars) with my brother.

:shrug:

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Ah lego, it was a new toy every day. It was the greatest toy ever. Who didn't love lego? I mean really now, how can you not love it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭malecO

Lego, Lego and more Lego (until the PC came).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I played with lots of toys-Barbies, Lego, Sylvanian Families, Polly Pockets, Teeny Weeny Families, Pound Puppies, farm animal figures, toy cars....the list is endless. Then there were lots of games on the computer(s) that raised me. Is it just me or does it seem that I wasn't paid much attention to as a child? Perhaps I was, perhaps I wasn't, I can't remember. Either way, the computer played a small part in raising me.

I had some captain planet toys as a younger version of me. I had some car, the captain himself, and some evil pig guy.

I also got a NES when I was eight years old which I loved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 alucard

lego, knex, explosives.
    i liked to create things.................and then destroy them.
    I'm not crazy! Really!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Squeee

Erm, I'll start with the less humiliating. I played with a "MASK"(IT was a cartoon) mountain thing with a boulder on top and a garage which all turned into a secret hideout. I played with X-men figures and scalectrix (i think that's how it's spelled) electric racing track for those minute little cars. I had some ugly doll that piddled all over itself and I somehow liked it and <sigh> I had some barbies. I also liked to smash wine glasses and bottles of wine together regularly. I mostly just played games like "Bulldog" and "Tip the can" on my road.
    However, the best sort of dolly thing had to have been either Sylvanian Families or Polly Pocket (she made me feel big and you could sneak her to mass)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

Some mask toys, Lego., kennex and some transformers i think.

Of course Keenex! How could I forget obout that. And Zoids! A whole new array of memories has been set off in my head! And Sylvanian Families!

Yep, I played with them. What'cha gonna do about it? Huh? Who's to say they were for girls? HUH?!?

Originally posted by Zukustious

Yep, I played with them. What'cha gonna do about it? Huh? Who's to say they were for girls? HUH?!?

I'M TO SAY THEY WERE FOR GIRLS!!!! Girls girls girls girls! It sounds like I'm advertising some red-light district.
    THE BIG RED FUN BUS. Damn that was a fine toy, english.
    I also had a NODDY car. It was brilliant, until my "charming" brother took it out and broke it. That was a sad sad day in NODDY land. And no, I not was one of those infernal children with those mofo electric cars, mine had peddles. Ahh, they were hard times. Damn all the infernal children. How do you sleep at night?
    ---on a big pile of money and jewels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 So-on

Excessive use of Lego made me the man I am today. Lego good. Lego very good.

(I had green hair)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Red Light District?

Why is it Aoife that only you (or me or Sven) could turn a thread about toys into the red light district???

Anyway I remember that MASK mountian top, my older cousin had one and I was really jelouse!

Yes they were 'fer girlies, but it was a good way of getting to talk to them, and getting them to paly doctor...<sighs> ah, all my preciouse innocent childhood memeories. Oh wait, damn i don't have any ..... where did I leave them, nope there not mine, no thats Boy Meets World, no thats Little House on the Praire, wait I never watched that, what's it doing in my head? *Goes off mumbling to himself*

Originally posted by Squeee
    I'M TO SAY THEY WERE FOR GIRLS!!!! Girls girls girls girls!

Ehhh........ NO!

They were never for girls. There were... unisex toys... yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Erm... I used to like them too. Actually I saw them in the window of either toymasters or smyths recently and almost through a fit.

But then I am a bit of a girly at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Nothing wrong with being girly ;) Much better than being macho and aggressive. Better to play with Sylvanian families than all those WWF toys. *shudders* wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Spenguin

Hmm... toys eh? I played with those trolls with the freakishly big hair. They were brilliant. I played with sylvanian families. Mostly I played with toys that couldn't do anything, like we had this big dinosaur and I (or it might have been Richard) stuck a marble down its throat. Its still there but now the dinosaur is my sisters. Ah yes, marbles, they were also great, I didn't know how to play with them, but they were shiny and I was young. Shiny things are fun. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

you big rich kids with your private education and your sylvanian families. in my day all we had was a lump of coal, if we were lucky. and we'd draw faces on the coal and make them talk to eachother

nah, it was lego, barbies (i thought they were damn cool, thank you), cabbage patch dolls (with their freakishly big heads), trolls, anything alive etc.

i always wanted to do the whole burning ants with a magnifying glass, but i could never figure out how...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Hmm... Just remembered GHOST BUSTERS! The toys rocked! As did the alien toys. :D

Originally posted by Zukustious
    Ehhh........ NO!

They were never for girls. There were... unisex toys... yeah.
    You're a unisex toy! And F U C K you buzzby (pronounced buzz-bee, It's what I intend to keep calling you) there are none of your evil minions around me. I despise you and everything else that buzzes or looks like it wants to buzz, just waiting for me to close my ears so it can start, BUT I'LL KNOW! Oh, I shall know. Anywho hope you're keeping well. Stupid bees. You know what, I'd laugh if you ever get attacked by a swarm of killer bees. I wouldn't help or nothing, I'd just sit there and laugh and perhaps take the occassional picture. MWAHAHA:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

...oddly enough, the previous post makes no sense WITHOUT me having to edit it.

Originally posted by Squeee
    I despise you and everything else that buzzes or looks like it wants to buzz, just waiting for me to close my ears so it can start, BUT I'LL KNOW!

Oh don't worry, you'll open your ears. You'll have to breath some time!

I can't remember what happened to all the trolls... one day they just disappeared. * sniff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Must...resist...temptation...to...mock

troll.jpg

YAY!! Trolls. But they weren't that weird looking. Ah, they were the best toys ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 So-on

At a certain point in my life I possessed a deep loathing for trolls. I carry that loathing and hatred to this day. Visions of the little plastic heathens melting slowly into a pile of ash filled my mind. Those beady, round eyes... starring at me from beneath that cascade of purple hair... Grrr - how I love the smell of burning plastic in the morning...

Trolls must die.

Die,

Die,

Die....:D :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Breath in, Breath out, Breath in, Breath out, Breath in, Breath out, Breath in, Breath out.

Ah-ha now you've ingested so much toxins from the burning trolls that you will now die too.

Muwahahahahaha!

Evil:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 PurplePainter

Transformers, Lego, (yes Im a girl grrrr) Dolls, Trolls, (but I didnt collect them) musical instruments, My doggie, dry rice and sieves and cups etc, sand pit (cheap old wooden box, with natural sand. noneyer ELC stuff), And.. I.. er... tested... the pull of gravity with melons, and eggs, and various other crackable items from the upstairs window.......

Advertisement