Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 - GPRS advice

Options
  • 25-07-2003 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if GRPS from O2 is any good?

I am thinkng of using it on a portable computer to connect to my company network through a VPN. Does it support PPTP?

What PC Card would be the best to use?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Paddyo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

i think you should probably direct this at the wireless forum.

i believe it does support pptp, though i haven't tried it myself. it definitely supports ipsec vpns. however it'll only supported on the postpaid apns, the prepaid apns are more restrictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

It works ok, but is hideously expensive, the 50Mb limit I'm on is too little, basic email and the odd bit of web browsing and I add 100-200 to my monthly bill :(

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Thanks for the replies

Do you do much browsing/downloading or would be moderate?

This system would be used mainly to access an accounting system based on SQL Server. I suppose the only real way to test the cost is to try it.

Once again Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

for cost i'd measure how much data is being transferred for a set of typical transactions. then from that you should be able to work out how much it's going to cost.

it's too slow at the moment for serious surfing, and too expensive for large d/ls. it's reasonably suitable for accessing handheld optimised sites on a pda, though.

Advertisement