Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recived modem .. line activated??? (IOL BB)

Options
  • 25-07-2003 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I go the modem just there, im on to tell you that I cant connect, could this be the line isnt active yet?? What is the number you put into dial for IOL BB?? They sent out the modem as quick as they could.. faster than the line been activated????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭PaulMagrath

Could indeed be just that. Try calling IOL and asking them.

You don't dial any number to connect to the service.

The signal from your modem is directed to your service provider by your local exchange.

All the settings, etc are set by the IOL software that you are sent with the modem.

If it isn't working (and provided that you don't have anything less than Win98 Second Edition and didn't have any other PPPoE drivers installed that could be interfering) then it is probably just a case of having to wait.

PPPoE, by the way, stands for Point to Point Protocal over Ethernet. PPP is the standard 'Dial-Up Networking' protocal and ethernet is, specifically the type of broadband used in LANs, but generally, in this case, just refers to broadband.

PPPoE is used so that it works just like a dial-up conection for the consumer and, as it uses PPP, it means that ISPs don't have to upgrade their RADIUS (Remote Authentication Dial In User Service) servers, saving them money. So it is good for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

The same thing happened to me. Got the modem but my line was still pending. They had it activated in a few hours. Just give them a ring and they should sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Same prob with me - but they assure me the line is activated. and tech support hasn't really helped yet. sooooooooooooo annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Lads can ye also check.. do ye have a 'ISDN Channel PppoE RFC1483 thing in ure properties in the IOL braod band connection tab thing??? Surely this isnt right?? And thats what is coming up on my IOL bb connection tab to use to connect???

Also i rang tech support and they said some rubish about having to have ure line connected to the 'main line' in the house whereure line 'enters the house' for it to work or something.???!??

cant see it there.
    surely a troubleshooting more detailed than "both lights should be on" is required? i mean, i figured that out! troubleshooting should help me fix it! f*ckers! is your light just flashing too?

just off phone to technical support - they said they'll re-do a line check and call me back on... MONDAY. what the f*ck? i'm being billed for this crap now, and i havent even logged on successfully yet. :mad: and this is only the 'next step'. it could take weeks. i swear one of these days one of those complacent pricks is gonna meet my fist. spent nearly 5 hours at this so far today, for f*cks sake!

• Advertisement

lol yea thats ****ing hilarious the.. well u need both lights on sir.. for it to work... jezz great thanks.. NOW WAHTS WRONG WITH IT DAMNT IT!!

lol yea thats ****ing hilarious the.. well u need both lights on sir.. for it to work... jezz great thanks.. NOW WAHTS WRONG WITH IT DAMNT IT!!

Also I checked with tech support as well they say my line is still 'pending' or something.. y dont i believe them i just dont know :P

at least that could be a reason! :) i just get told the line's active and they dont know whats wrong. and they're not much cop at helping!

Eins m8 can u do me a favour and go to ure network and dial up settings place.. click on properties on the 'IOL broad band' connection tab.. and see what it uses for 'connect using' place. In mine it ses ISDN Channle :/ ???

it says connect using "zyxel p630 adsl usb modem modem rfc1483", bear in mind it still won't work!
    if it doesnt say that in yours perahps you did the installation wrong? you have to use D:\Driver\Setup.exe (as opposed to letting windows do it itself!)

• Advertisement

Yea i new there was something wrong there.. i keep getting this ISDN thing instead of a DSL one...

if you had isdn before dsl, try deleting the drivers etc for whatever modem you were using. god, waited like 7 weeks for this, and now this ****! is your modems adsl light just continually flashing at you?

----
    actually, check http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dsl (dont add the @iolbb to the end of your name!) and see what it says,
    i get an error message
    prolly means line isnt set up but the ****s keep telling me i am!

I never had ISDN in the house :/ ... also when I tried to connect to IOL bb thingy it said error 687 or something like that.. 'device did not pick up phone' or something like that..

Also yea my dsl light flashes, and my dsl icon on the task bar is blue..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

That Meter wont work unless you use it in Internet explorer

if the dsl light is flashing and your ADSL tab is blue you dont have a line ativated yet :(

thats annoying, thats what i have, blue icon and flashing, yet to the 'techies' that was a problem on my end and i spent 6 hours at it today to no avail! do the tech ppl even know what service they're dealing with queries about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

short answer NO

i never bother with the customer service,s anymore pointless wast of my time

I know this shounds ridiculous Eins.. but a lad on esat tech thingy said to connect it to you phone socket 'where the phone line enters the house' now this sounds a bit far fetched.. but try it and se.. i cba atm.. my one is downstairs and im not luging my pc all the way down.

Eins are u sure u dont have a 'ISDN channel RFC 1483' as ure 'connect with' thing in ure IOL broad band Properties.. not in the Local Area Connection tab. Becasue i have installed and uninstalled and got drivers of the net and all.. and it still puts in this ISDN thing :/... Can u check again.. or can some one esle as well please?? Its in properties in the 'IOL Broad Band' connection thing.

yeah, deffo says modem is the device to connect with! but so far it doesnt make a difference! :) heh
    and i'm not in a position to try connecting to where phone line enters house! i somehow doubt it'd make a differencea anyways! i bet its just our lines arent connected! even though everyone i spoke today today said i am live, i'll believe that when i dont have to connect with my 56k!

thats really messed up though y when i install everything does a isdn **** thing come up?

How did you go about installing it??

and what OS u on?

• Advertisement

i'm on windows ME (UGH!!!!!!!!!!! YEURGH!!!!)... i opened the cd-rom, went to drivers, and ran setup.exe , that works ok, just wont connect!
    to uninstall your current setup properly (via windows wont work properly) go to the drivers folder on the cd-rom and run cleanup.exe otherwise it doesnt work properly! ;)

im on windows 2000 maybe its something to do with that ? :(

Anyone else running win2000 and IOL BB ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭PaulMagrath

The ISDN thing could be coming up if it is being stored by Windows in the driver cache.

If so, when Windows searches for drivers, it is picking up the ISDN thing instead of the ZyZEL modem drivers. You could try cleaning the driver cache out (see the Microsoft Knowledge Base).

On the other hand, maybe Windows ME just likes putting the words 'ISDN Channel' in there. The PPPoE RFC1483 bit is correct afterall. Trouble is that the ZyZEL user's guide explicitly states that the PPPoE support is integrated into the native driver and that any other PPPoE drivers will interfere with it!

In Windows XP, the situation is that you have two connections in Network Connections. First, a LAN connection to your ZyZEL P630 ADSL USB Modem (RFC1483 Mode) and second, you have a broadband connection called 'IOL Broadband' to your WAN Miniport (PPPoE).

Yea i have the same type thing here.. a LAN connection one.. then a dial up looking one that ses 'IOL Broad Band' and thats the one that trys to use this 'isdn channel' thing.. also i dont think it is the right thing cus when i go into 'configure' for the 'isdn channel' thing it ses 64k line 56k digital line or 56k voice line in a drop down menu under the title 'Line type' :/ so it really doesnt sound like anything to do with DSL.. whats this cache thing ure talking about m8? .. Oh also.. when i try to connect under the 'IOL broad band' the little short cut thats ment to connect u to the service.. it ses Error 678: 'A modem or other device did not pick up the phone'???

Any ideas..?

just in regards to the downloaded checker thingy, when i log onto that i get this

"Error - no traffic data for user..."

am i right in thinking that about 7 esat people lied to me yesterday about my line being connected? one of them even took my name and p/w and said "well i just logged on there", surely even a few kb of data would have transfered then, yet i get this error... i thinking they're f*cking us.

---

just off the phone to them again, this person was helpful, she double checked everything, and apparently my line is due to be activated tomorrow. i'll believe it when i see it, but at the same time it's nice that she didn't just smack the keyboard to make it sound like she's typing and tell me that it must be my fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'm using Win2k (SP3) as well it seems to work fine. The only glitch I get is when I forget to connect via the "Connect to IOL broadband" icon before opening IE and my old modem connection window pops up. Just a matter of closing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    Any ideas..?
    Why don't you wait until your line is actually DSL enabled and then try to connect?
    I've seen those modems install themselves as ISDN modems before and they connect.
    What options did you get when you were installing it?

No options its all automatic.. just a matter of 'next' 'next' 'finish' job...

Sarn m8 can u please check in ure IOL properties what it is 'connecting with' does it say anyting about ISDN or is it a Zyxel USB DSL thiny? .... Right click on ure IOL broad band icon in ure network and dail up place.. then click properties.. then it should just be infront of you, under the 'connect with' field.. should be the one IOL Broad Band uses and ure other Modem.

Also to fix that glitch you have go to ure IE explorer.. then go to Tools, Internet Options, then to the connections tab, then there should be a list of connections there go down and select.. 'IOL broad band' one then a little bit down below that there should be a 'Set as Default' button. Click that.. then the next time u click on ure IE it should auto pop up ure IOL BB, you can also go further than that in the connections options, so far as it connects to IOL BB with out u having to click connect ureself.. handy for Always on Connections.

Why don't you wait until your line is actually DSL enabled and then try to connect?

Well, erm, according to their customer services everyone is connected, even when they're not. so it's more a case of continuous trial and error. i mean the point in the thread was to ask for anyone elses past experiences with the problem and any help.

i personally spent 6 hours trying to connect yesterday cuz tech support at esat maintained it was a fault on my end, something i'd done, call up today and find out i'm not connected yet, even though some sh*t-stain told me LAST WEEK that i was, and was assured SEVEN times yesterday that i was indeed active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    i mean the point in the thread was to ask for anyone elses past experiences with the problem and any help.
    He said in another post that he called them and the line is pending or something.
    I don't see the point in trying to troubleshoot a connection problem when there's no way you can connect.

Advertisement