Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Anytime Data Protection Details

Options
  • 25-07-2003 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I'm filling in the IOL Anytime application form at the min. Everything is fine and dandy except for section 4 Data Protection Details. I've had a read of the 4 items where they ask you to "indicate your unambigous consent" by ticking the box.
    I dont want to tick any of them!
    If i dont tick any of them will i get a p.f.o. in response to the application or what are they all about?:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

"Indicate your unambigous consent" to what? We're not mindreaders Scruff.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Apologies. Was originally going to post it in the the existing thread about IOL Anytime but changed my mind as i though it might take longer to get info. Want to post it off the application form today so i can still get the €20\month for first 3 months offer.
    The information which you have provided will be used and retained by Esat BT for the purposes of processing this application form providing you with telecommunications services and for
    billing purposes.Esat BT may from time to time make searches on the files of credit reference agencies who will record the search and who may retain and disclose to third parties information
    relating to the search for a period of up to two years.We may also provide information concerning the manner in which your account with Esat BT is conducted to other telecommunications
    service providers and credit reference agencies.To indicate your unambiguous consent,please tick the box provided.

We may disclose the information which you have provided,in connection with any sale or transfer of the whole or any part of our business,or any factoring agreement into which we,in our
    sole discretion may enter.To indicate your unambiguous consent,please tick the box provided.

You have a right to request a copy of the information we hold about you for which we may charge a small fee and to have any inaccuracies in your information corrected.We may use the
    information which you have provided for the purposes of providing you with information relating to existing,improved or new products and services,including relating to special offers,
    promotions or competitions of Esat BT,its associated and affiliated companies and/or third parties which we think you may find of interest.To indicate your unambiguous consent,please tick
    the box provided.

Esat BT may also share this information with its associated and affiliated companies and or carefully selected third parties to enable those associated and affiliated companies and/or third
    parties to contact you directly (by way of telephone,email,fax or post)in relation to their goods and services.To indicate your unambiguous consent,please tick the box provided.
    You may at a later date request that we cease using the information for marketing purposes by writing to us at Grand Canal Plaza,Upper Grand Canal Street,Dublin 4

Just wanted to be sure that by not ticking any i could still get the service withou allowing them to pass on info about me to other parties which could result in getting spam mail & email.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Scruff
    Just wanted to be sure that by not ticking any i could still get the service withou allowing them to pass on info about me to other parties which could result in getting spam mail & email.
    Can you sign up without ticking "yes" to the last two paragraphs?

If you can't, make sure you sign up using an email address that you don't mind getting spam on (to be honest it's not a bad idea to have one of those anyway for signing up to things) and make a pre-emptive strike - send the letter five minutes after signing up. You'll still have the right to request the info indicated in the third paragraph. The Data Protection Act(s) give you that right, not Esat.

UTV have stated in a thread here that they don't pass on email addresses. Esat's T&C seem to indicate that they can and will if they feel like it.

Christ, you were right to ask, those ones are just plain weird. The last one is a definite no-no anyway -- /never/ give a company premission to share your details, because you have /no/ control over where they go. I rarely agree to let the company send me marketing sh1te themselves either, but that's entirely up to you.

In this case, that's what the third one is, but the first sentence is (in my view) deliberately confusing. I'd nearly complain to the data protection commissioner about that one if I was you, because it looks like they're trying to give the impression that if you /don't/ check the box, you'll give up the right mentioned in the first sentence. This is not the case, that right stands whether you check the box or not.

The second one basically says that if they sell the business, they can sell your data too. This is a CYA (Cover Your Ass) clause because AFAIK (IANAL) there's no precedent for this in Ireland yet. The Doubleclick case is the main reason this clause is in here. I wouldn't check it if I was you, but this may create a situation if the company /is/ sold. That being said, they could easily ask you to consent if that happens, and that's quite likely to happen in my view.

The first one is the weirdest, and I can see why it would worry you. You need to be careful about this, because as the clause says, the Irish Credit Bureau /will/ provide your data to third-parties, in particular financial institutions, and apparently even the number of searches on your record are viewed as a factor of your credit history. If I was you I'd /ask/ them if this item needs to be checked in order to process your transaction. I've never seen it before, but that doesn't say a whole lot.

Of course it would be great if someone from EsatBT came in here and clarified all this for us...

adam /holds his breath

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I was a bit more concerned with the last two paragraphs but after Adam's posting, I don't particularly like any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

When i was signing my old man up to anytime i didnt tick any of them and it was all fine. Hes up and running.

As for adam :
    Originally posted by dahamsta
    This is a CYA (Cover Your Ass) clause because AFAIK (IANAL) there's no precedent for this in Ireland yet

WHAT?? Do you make these things up as you go along or something?:)

Enlighten me as to what IANAL is because it looks more like something id be likely to see on FilthyFraulines.com....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Just rang up their sales freephone number there and told em that i basically didnt want to tick any of the options cause i didn't want them to be able to sell on or use my details for any other purpose.

Yer man said "Thats fine, you can just leave them blank."

I asked him would it effect my application and he said "Not at all".

So that seems to have sorted that, wont tick any of them:p

But like Adam said they are quiet weird. Big Brother alarms were ringing in my head.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Enlighten me as to what IANAL is because it looks more like something id be likely to see on FilthyFraulines.com....
    Jeez Dusty, have the modding skillz left you already? IANAL == "I Am Not A Lawyer".

Scruff, that's the stuff. Always give them the bare minimum.

adam

Advertisement