Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ICE installers

Options
  • 25-07-2003 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know any good ICE installers in the south dublin area. I spend a good deal of time at work in Singapore and as such can always pick up cheap electronics.

Picked up an Alpin 9815 head unit, 4 channel amp and some monitor audio front speakers (tweeters and cones) and don't feel like spending a whole weekend trying to put the lot together.

Anyone with some recommendations on installers.

Also looking at the prices on the besecure200.com website I won't depress anyone who pays those prices by saying how much the same stuff costs here :)

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Hi Dave,
    We won't get on the wrong foot here, but those products will of course be cheaper in Singapore, unless of course they start delivering them accros the world for FREE.

In that case the whole of Europe will be just as lucky as you.
    @ besecure2000 we do our best to keep our prices low
    If you find a product in Ireland cheaper then ours please be sure to let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Hey Louie,

Didn't mean to single out your site specifically, just the first place that comes to mind (I guess that is a good thing right!)

I should clarify that this site is actually cheap relative to irish high street retailers. Hope I didn't offend louie,

Aside from that do you do installs. I will nead cabling and the like which I presume that you supply.

Cheers

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

will you beat uk prices?

There will be a difference of few euro, which you will be saving it on delivery(our price=11.95 or 7.95 - uk= 20-25.00)

and also take in cosidaration our VAT rate of 21%, compare with 17.5% UK.

And it's actually easier & cheaper to send an item to us in ireland than to send it back to UK, regarding the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Theres a huge difference between UK prices and Irish prices...

Pioneer DEH-P8400MP will cost about €550 (£369+£25 shipping) to your door from Cel Direct in the UK, it'll cost €721.42 in BeSecure, which is the cheapest Irish price I've found ... Myself and friends group our orders together from them to cut down on shipping - I got a set of 6x9 speakers from them for €80 all in - which were retailing for over €200 in the Motorstore in Blanch.

I'm prepared to put up with a long waiting time if anything goes wrong, which it hasn't so far touch wood.. I don't think Irish retailers are in the position to charge this little - the unit cost is more than retail is in the UK.... as a matrer of interest though, once bought in the EU, surely the local office are obliged to honour a warranty on an item bought in another EU country??

@Mayshine - I got a car kit fitted by a guy who services the whole Dublin area, he does all sorts of stereo work, and drives out to you, I can dig out his number if you need it. Hes very good, I've seen his install work.

• Advertisement

I am going to manchester to buy a load of stereo gear based purely on price. I work for an airline, so travel is free and my only cost in getting there is the M50 toll bridge and the Manchester tram to the shop... Might as well be wicklow.

www.caraudiocentre.co.uk

im buying these from them:

cdx-m1000tf head unit £379stg
    cdxt70 cd changer £200stg
    xm754sx amp £170stg
    front speakers for A3?

Can you beat or match these prices?

I wish everybody good luck with their sound system.
    We do what we can, but as always, you can not satisfy everybody.

We do what we can, but as always, you can not satisfy everybody.

Its not a case of not being satisfied, its a case of consumers being ripped off in Ireland...€170 is a huge difference in price for a head unit. Why should I pay extra for an identical system?

This isn't necessarily directed at yourself, but more at your suppliers...

To be honest though, why can't Irish stores offer the same prices really? If an Irish store buys from an Irish supplier that is expensive, why not just buy from the same supplier as the english one that is 2-300 cheaper. If that is the case.
    There will be a difference of few euro, which you will be saving it on delivery
    take in cosidaration our VAT rate of 21%, compare with 17.5% UK

Both duly noted. Why then for example, is the m1000tf 200-650 euro more expensive in ireland? (770 to 1200 in ireland, yours the cheapesy by far...)

kdevitt,

does your installer do feeding of power cables and complete rewiring of the system, if he does then I'll give him a call.

I might start an export business out of Singapore, because I can knock a lot of those UK prices quoted

Dave

• Advertisement

Originally posted by fluffer
    To be honest though, why can't Irish stores offer the same prices really? If an Irish store buys from an Irish supplier that is expensive, why not just buy from the same supplier as the english one that is 2-300 cheaper. If that is the case.

Both duly noted. Why then for example, is the m1000tf 200-650 euro more expensive in ireland? (770 to 1200 in ireland, yours the cheapesy by far...)

Where should I start?

Let say X is a car audio manufacturer somewhere in Japan.

Every country has a company that becomes the representant for the product made by X.

The problem with Ireland (being such a small country) is that, when UK becomes the representant for their own country they are also taking over Ireland.

What they do is, naming a company in Ireland to represent them, where retailers has to buy from.

Retailers, on the other hand can not buy directly from UK, they have to go through the company in Ireland that represents them.

When the product arrives from X manufacturer in UK cost £ 100.00

Shipped from UK to Ireland(representant for the X product), it will sell @ £ 100.00 x 1.46 = € 146.00 + shipping cost, let say € 10.00 + 25% margins = € 195.00 for the trade market.

Retailer Price - € 195.00 + 25%(profit) = € 243.75 + 21% VAT = € 294.94 for the customers.

On the other hand, the UK retailers are buying the same product for £ 100.00 were the retail price will be something like:

£ 100.00 + 25%(profit) + 17.5% VAT = £ 146.88 - € 214.44

As you could see there is a difference of € 80.50 allready.

€ 80.50 difference in every hundred brings it very high on expensive product as the ones mentioned above(€ 402.50 on a product worth £ 500.00).

Some retailers in UK like celdirect are adding only something like 10% to 15% margins to the trade prices as the competition is very big there, and the sale volume is a lot bigger than in Ireland - 300%.

For us to be able to give our customer a good price, we are taking the hassle and buy products from UK retailers(at a trade price of course and less VAT), which is a lot lower than buying from Ireland didtribuitors.

Another thing to take in cosideration is the shipping charges that are very high on big volume.

For example we are making a profit of € 10.00 for a set of 6"x9" speakers or a 10" subwoofer, because they are very heavy.

I hope you could understand this as is the true, from my point of view.

If you need more information on this please do not hesitate to say it.

Thought that might be the case alright. Like the way sony centres are more expensive than some high street retailers. Its the suppliers for sony are crap in Ireland, and only high volume resellers can make a dent on the rrp.

Surely there is an anti-competitive nature at play here? And the EU should be involved... We are an Island nation and so is the uk, shipping costs should'nt be at a rate of 43% or even anywhere near it. I presume you are also suffering at the hands of a strong euro, where the exchange rate is probably fixed between suppliers. For consumer willing to travel or deliver it is good.

So basically we have a fourth level supplier (sony world/sony europe/sony uk/sony ireland) and we are getting killed in the Sony UK to Ireland transaction?

Let me tell you something.

I am trying to open a trade account with Sony Ireland since last year in December, thinking I might be able to save on shipping as is the best seller.

The reason is still not active is that the go ahead comes from UK and I think they don't like me as I am destroying the Irish retail market.

If you see the RRP from Pioneer, which we are obliged to respect, you will pull your hair off.

And the list goes on and on and on and on... like in Father Ted.

Yeah - I know of at least one ICE distributor who got taken to court by Pioneer for undercutting their prices by importing directly from the UK...

At the end of the day though, unfortunately it just means shops here can never be competitive when ordering from the UK is so easy

@Mayshine - as far as I know he'll do anything to do with the wiring of your system, alarm, car kit etc... I'll drop his number to you by PM, have to find it first!

Hi Louie,

This thread is turning into an eye opener for me. Got to say I am glad that there arer at least people like yourself al least trying to get a better price for the irish retailer. I do wish you success and hope that you can still force prices down a little further for the unenlightened irish consumer. I wish you luck.

The only funny thing is that while we are a small ecomomy, approx 4m people, which is slightly larger than singapore (3.9m), which only sells a quarter of the number of cars p.a. then we do. There there is still vibrant cometitiveness through out the whole electronics sector.

I think that maybe it boils down to the mentality of the people at the end of the day. Irish people unfortunatly tend to be very timid in regards to a lot of this. They will pay anything for junk and also there is very few independent traders when it comes to electronics so the high street chains can operate the fixed price cartels

Just my opinion however

Advertisement