Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me Washing Machine Died Last Night.

• 25-07-2003 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

There were some horrible sqeualing noises and then no movement no more.

The drive belt is allright but the motor is probably dead. How easy is it to remove the motor from a washing machine and bring it in for repair ? Does a dying motor start to squeal if the brushes are gunked up for example or is it more than likely a bearing somewhere?

Thoughts and advice about the technology appreciated...

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Before opening the washing machine, find out, with the brand and model, the price of a new motor...!
    Also keep in mind that if it's an old one or not a "reliable" brand (how often you're using it?) the motor might the 1st one of many troubles?

The last time I went to buy a washing machine, the guy showed me some internal bits of 2 different brands, a Bosch and a cheap one (can't remember which one). The cheap was just a bit of light thin metal but the Bosch was a really heavy hard duty bit... I was very impressed by the difference!

It's only my 2 cents/experience... not an advice! :D

Raphael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The machine is old but it is an animal. If it were a cheapo noname I'd chuck it out. Its a Hoover 1100 spin, the clothes are virtually dry coming outta it.

The problem is I live in the country so thats possibly 2 callout charges probably + a new motor more than likely, I'd rather bring it in, get it fixed cheap and refit it myself.....and then spend the money on gargle at the races next week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Ya it could be the bushes that are gone and the squeeling coming from only a bare edge of the bushes making contact , or it could be the gunk.

It could also be something stuck between the drum and the frame causing the squeeling but that wouldn't cause it to stop.

The bearings could also cause the squeeling but again would not cause the loss of power.

Taking it in could be dodgy as most places are a bit un co-operative when you bring in broken parts of whole machines. A call out shouldnt be too expensive as long as you tell them the make and problem with the machine so they can have parts ready when they come out. Thus no reason for a second call.

This of course is my un-expert opinion.

If you ring around a bit you will find out who has a workshop and will repair. Loads of these service companies are simple callout cash registers

M

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A large one under the drum to turn it and a pump motor to well ... pump.. If it is a decent machine the drum motor will be an induction motor - so should have no brushes (If)

Try taking off the belt - spin the drum by hand to check the bearings for any movement or for any stiffness. The induction motor should spin freely without the belt...

Is the controller one of the mechanical rotators - if so then try some switch cleaner in a aersol with the long nozzle (NOT WD50 - use real switch cleaner) - if it is microprocessor based not much can be done with it.

If (and I doubt it) the motor is a universal one (ie works on AC or DC) it will run on 12V DC slowly - this is great for testing power tools and hoovers - though watch the high voltage emf when you disconnect the power....

Now back to the pump motor - if there are any leaks this can corrode electrical contacts (white stuff ?) - disconnect and reconnect all the cable clips - and use the switch cleaner again..

• Advertisement

Thanks Cap'n

No corrosion or leaks.

Drum bearing fine

Pump worked all along

Motor out, will bring it to workshop tomorrow, I think there may be a bearig for the rorator shaft so I'll bring that too.

M

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I take you have checked the rubber seal at the front of the drum too.. (stuff in there can make funny noises)

but should not cause the whole thing to stop

Drum rotates freely and silently with front door closed ......manually rotated of course .

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

If a new bearing doesn't sort out the motor, try here

ouch Wolfman, that site is stuck in 1996 in terms of design.

Got the motor reconditioned fairly locally for €95 and all is well. Getting rid of a dead washing machine costs €65 by the way.
    A new motor for a heavy duty Hoover is about €150.
    A service callout (no parts ) is about €100 or more.

Tip is, note the bolts that hold the motor (2 or 3) and note the amount of bolt coming through the nut.

When you refit the motor and put the nuts on again they should go back excactly where they were, say 27mm sticking through if thats what they are now while the motor is in situ.

If you get it worng...a tad...then the motor is skewed slightly to one side or another and the belt that drives the drum will not stay on. That took me a bit of fiddling (and rinse+delicate spin cycles at 500rpm) to get right again.

If you can open and fix a PC you can do a Motor or Belt or Pump yourself, no problem. Seals are a bit trickier (albeit cheap) because you have to work out how they were fitted originally.

Pumps and Motors can be repaired if you bring them somewhere reputable. Shysters will say they cannot be repaired in order to charege you in full for a new one and a callout....thats €250 for starters for a motor, a bit less for a pump.

Thanks all.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

OT this but it warms my heart to find a query about a washing machine on the Tech board! :D

Mike.

yeah, nowhere else I could put it and it is technology after all.

me boiler is next up for a bit of maintenance!

Advertisement