Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

divx playback hanging computer

Options
  • 25-07-2003 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I reinstalled Windows and since i did, playing divx .avi files hangs my computer and i have to reboot. It plays about 10 second of the video and then the whole lot freezes up. Using Windows Media Player 6

I tried reinstalling the divx codec (5.0.5) but to no avail.
    It play mpeg files back without a problem.
    Where are the codexs saved on the machine? Can i just delete them all so that they will just redownload the codexs when Media Player can't run the divx movie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

try updating to the latest windows media player or try using the divx player itself serivce pack your pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

try lowering the quality of ur playback in the config settings for Divx player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

blue screen or application crash dialog?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

neither. Everything just freezes, cant move mouse pointer or anything. Needs to be rebooted every time. Have played a couple of games since reinstalling and surfed the net without it happening.

as for lowering the playback quality, it was woking fine with a celeron 400 before i reistalled windows after replacing it with a p3.

did a complete clean install of everything. Windows 98 SE, motherboard drivers, graphics driver, sound driver, modem drivers, divx 5.0.5 coded. No hardware conflicts or anything

its still happening. whether using windows media player of the player bundled with the divx codec.
    its really starting to piss me off.:mad:
    help?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

Had that prob 2 i just updated the DIVX player to the latest version at

www.divx.com

Its version 2.1 now i tink

Regards
    Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Friend of mine had this problem. Was solved by the following:
    1: Went and got Ace Mega Codecs Pack Proversion. Includes all codecs you will ever need and a lite media player that will play any type of media at all.

2: In advanced display propertics, turned down hardware acceleration a notch or two

Ger

right. I've done all that has been suggested so far and have had only limited success. It will now play some divx files but not others and will intermitently hang while playing some that have worked before.
    also its hanging in the one of the two games since i've reinstalled. works fine with mech warrior 4 but hangs in Homeworld:Cataclysm.
    Also went to the nvidia drivers page to download the new 45.23 drivers for me geforce4 ti 4200 but hangs just before the page finishes loading.

one thing i have to say is i think my motherboard is dodgy. Its an ABIT SE6. had been using a p3 700 and upgraded to a p3 933 but the board wont run at anything over 100mhz bus speed. Got the latest bios for it and all. still thinks its a 700Mhz. had stability problems with the 700mhz p3 in it as well.

Just run aida32 sys info tool. some odd readings for the cpu.
    CPU Type: Intel Pentium IIIE, 1333Mhz (7 * 190)
    CPU Alias: Coppermine, CuMine, A80526
    Original Clock: 933Mhz

have had this cpu running in another motherboard without a problem. rand the aida32 software of it as well and there was no strange readings.

Advertisement