Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cd player for car

Options
  • 25-07-2003 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Where's the cheapest place i can buy a standard cd player for my car? Doing it online is cheaper so I've been told but I don't know where to look

Ta!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Could a mod make this a sticky please? It seems to crop up every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Someone put up this link last week
    http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/focus.php3?partno=CQRDP383 The one that plays mp3s
    might have been a mister quigs snr.

It really annoys me that cd players come on the options list in new cars thse days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Have you got any particular model or brand in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Unstable

Originally posted by louie
    Have you got any particular model or brand in mind.

not really, its for a friend but all she wants is something cheap and does what it says on the tin

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Fabritzo
    Someone put up this link last week
    http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/focus.php3?partno=CQRDP383 The one that plays mp3s
    might have been a mister quigs snr.

It really annoys me that cd players come on the options list in new cars thse days....

do they deliver to Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

They sure do. About 15stg.

Cost me 166 Euro all in (including delivery) to get that MP3 player delivered to my door. And I am really happy with it. It hasn't skipped once, has 4x50W outputs, great sound quality and looks good too (far far better in the flesh than in the picture)

Originally posted by Quigs Snr

Cost me 166 Euro all in (including delivery) to get that MP3 player delivered to my door. And I am really happy with it. It hasn't skipped once, has 4x50W outputs, great sound quality and looks good too (far far better in the flesh than in the picture)

Which player did you go for?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

When I get my car, I'd say one of the first things I'll change will be the stereo!! And that Panasonic looks good and well priced! But I think i'd prefer a Kenwood or Sony so I like this or this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Do MP3s play well in it? Do they give extra gubbins for MP3's or do standard CD-R ripped files play in it?

This is the one I want to get. Over Eur500 here but only Eur380(including delivery) on this site.

• Advertisement

Quigs Snr, does the Panasonic have 3 radio bands, including LW? It doesnt say on the incarexpress site, for any of them.

Will check the radio bands.

Yes it plays standard CDRs with Ripped MP3's and also WMA's.

For the person who asked which one I went for, it was the one in the link posted by Fabritzio. The Panasonic 383.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Will check the radio bands.

Yes it plays standard CDRs with Ripped MP3's and also WMA's.

For the person who asked which one I went for, it was the one in the link posted by Fabritzio. The Panasonic 383.

Interesting... what's the sound quality like?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

the argos catalogue says that panasonic(cqrdp383) has just fm/am and 4 x 22w output and they sell it at 240 euro. and they sell the sony(cdxmp40mp3) for 330 euro and kenwood (kdcm4524mp3) for 300 euro(both fm/mw/lw). i always thought argos was a ripoff for a lot of their stuff. by the way what is pre-out about , some have one others 2?

Its grand. I checked the data sheet on the Panasonic website, and it has LW. Phew!

Pre-outs are used to expand your system from 4 speakers to 6 or 8 speaker and also they can be used to drive a subwoofer.
    Of course they have to be amplified first from 2 or 4 V to a higher output. That's were the Amplifiers comes in.
    The point is, the more out-puts your radio has the more you could customise your sound system.

byte

I just bought a Pioneer DEH-P7500MP system. It plays MP3 and WMA files. It's the one with fancy graphic display and looks the part in my wee corsa! :)

I've only one problem, I was able to turn on the original Philips stereo in my Corsa with ignition turned off (no dash lights) but with the Pioneer system, it won't work unless I have ignition turned on. Is there anything I can do with the wiring to give the stereo permanent power (or power with a slight turn of the key) like before?

The 4 x 22 is incorrect.

It is definitely 4 x 50. It's even written on the front panel of the stereo. The sound quality is tops by the way, even on the standard volvo speakers in my T4 (6 speaker setup I think).

Originally posted by byte
    I just bought a Pioneer DEH-P7500MP system. It plays MP3 and WMA files. It's the one with fancy graphic display and looks the part in my wee corsa! :)

How much and where did you purchase, byte?

byte

Originally posted by DMC
    How much and where did you purchase, byte?

I got it for €460 installed after some major haggling! It was bought and installed by Northern Sounds in Letterkenny. I highly recommend them :)

I must now find how to add new graphics to it! ;)

Louie (or anyone else), is there any way I can get the stereo to work without having to have the ignition lights on? I'd assume there are 2 live feeds to the stereo, one permanent to keep memory alive, and one that is determined by ignition switch? Would it be possible to wire the permanent live to both live inputs on the stereo? (That's assuming I'm right on the 2 live inputs theory) :)

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=3988&taxonomy_id=25-121

• Advertisement

Just switch the red wire(ign. power) with the Yellow wire(permanent power).
    That will sort all your problems.

byte

So should I combine the red and yellow together? I'd assume the yellow would still need to have a permanent live feed?

Yes the yellow has to have permanent feed as it stores the station and settings.

Just do what I told you earlier and you will be allright.

byte

OK thanks for the replies, louie. I'm after finding the installation sheet along with the many instruction manuals and it seems that the yellow wire has a spare connector on it which must be for connecting the red one to, which is what i require. I will pull the stereo out after a bit and suss it all out! :)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

gotta say, by taking out the ingnition wire and plugging it directly into the battery, the radio will not switch off when you turn off the car. Maybe this means nothing to you but I initially set up my radio like this and it really pissed me off having to switch off the radio manually each time.

byte

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    gotta say, by taking out the ingnition wire and plugging it directly into the battery, the radio will not switch off when you turn off the car. Maybe this means nothing to you but I initially set up my radio like this and it really pissed me off having to switch off the radio manually each time.

Yeah I realise this and it probably will peeve me off. The original Philips stereo in the Corsa woudl switch off when you turned off the engine but still allowed you to turn it back on again by pressing the power button. Sadly this is not the case with the Pioneer.

As it stands though, it annoys me having to turn on ignition/leave car running to listen to radio if sitting in the car. So I'll rewire it for now and if I'm not happier, I'll change it back! Simple! :)

I had just only found out I could change my stereo illumination from green to red! Red is much nicer! ;)

On Opel(Vauxhall), VW, etc... all you have to do is switch the wire between them, red wire coming from the radio plug it into the yellow wire and vice versa.

On cars as Alfa, Audi, the old VW you cann't do anything as they are both permanent power.

byte

Originally posted by louie
    On Opel(Vauxhall), VW, etc... all you have to do is switch the wire between them, red wire coming from the radio plug it into the yellow wire and vice versa.

On cars as Alfa, Audi, the old VW you cann't do anything as they are both permanent power.

Hmm, you've confused me now!

Yellow = Permanent feed for memory?
    Red = Dependent on ignition

If I swap them around then the memory will blank every time I turn off the car? I had intended to wire the red WITH the yellow so both had permanent feeds :confused:

Going to the radio the red wire should be ign. on/off and yellow should be permanent power so you could always have the radio storring your preferences.

At the other end (ISO connectors) red wire is right above the earth wire and yellow is the third on the bottom.

That is the normal way, but on the ISO connector that are fitted in the car (opel, VW, etc) they are the other way arround, so all you have to de is change them as follows:

the yellow wire coming from car ISO plug it into the red wire going to the radio and I as said before do the same thing with the red wire.

Come on, is not that hard.

• Advertisement
    byte

OK I'm away to try it now, and if that doesnt' work, I'll use the spare connector that's stuck on the end of the yellow wire to put into the red one.

Advertisement