Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying for Broadband

Options
  • 25-07-2003 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I live in a rented house. Fair enough....I want to get broadband into the house. Personally now I use my mobile for phone calls and there is no landline activated in the house. There are I believe two Eircom wall sockets to plug a phone into.

Now I am moving out of the house in two months time and again I will not be activating the Eircom line in my new rented house. If I do activate the line it will be for broadband only.

Now if the lines are deactivated how does one get a line test done? I presume ring up Eircom and ask them to test it? How do I know this line qualifys for broadband? Again NO calls will be made off this line and it will be used only for internet access.

I've just viewed the "self installation guide" on the eircom site and it seems to me that you just go ahead and plug in the adsl filter and bobs your uncle you just follow the easy instructions.

So my concern is the phone jack box on the wall. How do you get it tested without it being activated? I will probably go with esat and i presume everything is the same.....

The areas Im interested in are any area along the Dart line, blackrock, booterstown, sandymount, and Clonskeagh - Roebuck Castle. And if you move house is there a problem?

Your advice and comments on this board have been excellent so far and anyhelp or advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

XPThink.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if you're moving location in the forseeable future don't bother getting BB in your existing location, its not worth the time and effort (unless company is paying...) Just wait til you move location, or get them to install to new location and make them start billing the day you move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

As you have a choice of location, why not look at wireless BB? Pick somewhere with the best LOS to IBB or WISP or whoever, and deny €ircon the line rental - no matter who you go with for ADSL, the rat gets his cut....

As for line testing, I'm no expert, but I have a hunch that inactive lines may not be included in ADSL line tests. If you look at it from the rat's point of view, why should he test lines that are not earning rent?! If you know the phone number(s) of either your current or future location, see if they pass the €ircon, E$at, or UTVip line tests - if so, you may be on to something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

do not go for wireless BB in your current place of living... you'll only end up paying an additional install fee to get the euipment set up again in new place os living

Advertisement