Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg Publish Disasterous USO Directive to Eircom

Options
  • 25-07-2003 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Its a cop out. I am absloutely disgusted with them. They want Eircom to send them a report on what Functional Internet Access means ....at the end of October 2003 to be precise.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0387.pdf

In the meantime you can keep your sh1te lines and pairgains and Biddy telling you its a Voice Line not a Data line because nothing has changed.

In the UK you get 28.8k minimum. In Ireland there is no minimum acceptable speed whatsoever except maybe 0k

M

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"Any connection provided by a designated USP shall, taking into account prevailing technologies used by the majority of subscribers and technological feasibility, be capable of allowing end users to make and receive (i) local, national and international telephone calls, (ii) facsimile communications and (iii)
    data communications at data rates that are sufficient to permit functional Internet access"

Most brand name PC's have integrated NIC's - NIC's are cheaper than modems... so to me this reads ADSL.

Look at page 19 - just depressing - some of these items were supposed to have been done already. Since the best predictor of the future is the past, I ain't holding out much hope...

Page 17 - no prizes for guessing who the "other respondent" is or why thier views are different to everyone elses..
    "The other respondent felt that ComReg’s proposed approach to implementing USO regime was burdensome, increased the extent of the existing obligations and they rejected many of ComReg’s positions as set out in document 03/68. Concern was expressed that a number of measures that were currently provided on a ‘voluntary’ basis were now being made requirements under the USO regime. Issues were raised about the timing of the designation process and the timeframes around the implementation of a number of ‘extensions’ to the USO. ComReg’s position on the establishment of a cost/fund mechanism was deemed unacceptable and they indicated that they would, after further study, be submitting a submission on the net cost of USO provision. The respondent also provided its views on a methodology for RIA along with references to best international practice in this area."
    International practices [RAGE] - just look at what is happening across the boarder - or by NTL or the wireless providers in Dublin or in any other OECD country....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I suppose it's time we started talking to Erkii again. It only took him a year to respond to my complaint the last time.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Muck
    They want Eircom to send them a report on what Functional Internet Access means....

M

Dont they know? Sheeze....!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

It seems apparent from this cop-out that Comreg don't have the bottle to properly regulate the telecommunications sector in Ireland.

If they had more of the attitude which Oftel (and I'm not saying they are perfect) seem to display then we would be a lot further along in this whole process. What is needed here is someone who is not afraid to take on the vested interests and do it proactively. We have Etain... nuff said

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by mike65
    Dont they know? Sheeze....!

Mike.

Apparently they have no clue what this IntarNets(TM) widget is. Probably they think it's some kind of e-Cabbage, possibly with Fibar Widgets In It!

Oh dear, unfortunately this strengthens the view that some people hold that ComReg don't have a bloody clue about what they're doing, and could not find the IntarNets(TM) with both hands.

I flipped. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Comreg are a joke :mad: all of them should be replaced by people with a set of balls*

*figure of speech, sexist remark not implied

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

It boggles the mind .... how the hell are we supposed to get anywhere when the people setting the laws are asking the fricking telco what they want written down??? aggghhhhh

/me runs screaming off into the distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Mr_Man,

I am with you.

Quote:- " What is needed here is someone who is not AFRAID to take on the vested interests and do it proactively " end quote.

IMHO, it is the Governments responsibility!, and if they are not up to the job. Then they should call an immediate General Election?.. as this issue is of vital importance to Ireland both economically and socially.

Get rid of the RATS Monopoly advantage now, by hook or by crook!.

Paddy20:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

i expressed my concerns to comreg regarding this attempt to allow ercom dictate what constitutes resonable internet access speeds,

i was told that they are not allowing them to dictate but are wanting to see what there responce will be so they can evaluate and then respond to this..

how ever, even after this conversation .. i cant say i was assured?
    we will just have to keep our fingers on the pulse and watch and make a further responce ourselves if it does not achieve what we know to be accepable, functional internet access. :mad:

Advertisement