Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with motherboard / booting

• 25-07-2003 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

i have bought a new computer assembled it and have the power goin into everything ide cables everything seems to work etc..
    but for some reason it doesnt boot and the moniter stays in-active . could anyone help please . its Asus (A7N8X-VM) using 512mb 2700pc ddr ram which specs say were compatible dvd and cdr amd athlon xp+2600

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Disconnect all drives.
    Disconnect all front panel connections except power and speaker. Try again.
    Other items:
    Floppy/IDE cable wrong way around.
    Floppy power plug offset by 1 place.
    just my 2c worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mildew

That still hasnt worked .so if you could help a bit more i would be grate ful i read something about multipliers so if that could have any thing to do with can some please tell . what to do and were to find them cause i have gone through the manual on the motherboard and still havent found anythin to help. every thing i got is brand new bought from "komplett" so i dont see why there should be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do you have any other sticks of DDR ram lying about the place?
    It could be worth trying that....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

As Mike65 says, try and borrow some RAM. Otherwise:
    This is a long shot. I presume you have the motherboard installed in the case etc.
    Is there any chance of anything fouling under the mainboard, e.g loose screw, 'extra' header post etc. Unless you have friends who can swap and test the processor and/or motherboard, I can't think of anything else. I know this dosen't help at this stage, but to avoid heartache later, I assemble the mainboard outside the case, CPU, RAM etc, then install and attach Video card, power on, speaker and ATX power connector, then give it a dry run.
    I know this is no use to you now, but it saves assembling the whole thing then not working which is a real pain in the H***. Friend had a faulty ASUS A7N MB a couple of weeks ago, it couldnt 'see' any ram. he got replacement which is ok.
    Thats my 4c worth, anyone else ...?
    ps. Also try replacing the Power Supply - maybe theres a low voltage - grasping at straws ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mildew

unfortunatly i dont thanx though so i think i will be asking my college tech if he can gave us a hand this is really buggin me cause all the spec seem to be ok and i have no way of checking if it is the motherboard , chip or more than likly my incompatance . i tried some of the things that were posted on other threads like take out the cmos battery and such things but again i still dont have clue what a multiplier is where it is and if its jumper on the mobo or not cause there is no mention of it in the manual and no digram or warnings. im using an amd athlon +2600xp 333mhz .
    all the other info is in my first thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement