Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-fi hotspots (public)

Options
  • 25-07-2003 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey...
    Anyone know of any wi-fi hotspots around Dublin? i know O2 have a few fancy hotels wired and I just found out that The Front Lounge and Globe (George's Street) are running free trials at the moment...
    Anyone know of any others around Dublin? (Or anywhere else?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Oooh booze and surfing! *grabs powerbook*

Esat have a few hotspots...iirc there's one in Dun Laoghaire.
    There's stacks in Belfast run by BT OpenZone, but tbh Esat and BT's hotspots are bloody rip off's! Can't remember the Esat prices but I remember being unimpressed, and the BT one's are £6 per hour which is 9 euro and that has to be used within one 24 hour period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Esat are €10 for an hour and €20 for 24 hours

Sorry

Forgot............

Esat = O2

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

if you're an o2 postpay customer and you bill it to your phone, then it's €3 per 20mins, or €10 per month which includes 3 x 20 mins sessions + €2 per 20mins thereafter (excluding VAT). wolfman's prices are for the voucher payment method, which anyone can use.

the esat one in dun laoghaire is actually an esat bt site and not an o2 site. dunno how much that one is ... they've been talking about rollout for ages.

That's right.

Sorry.

Forgot to mention that they were the voucher prices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

How do you pay for it in places like the front lounge or the globe and what settings do you use?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IMHO any place that doesn't charge to use the toilets can afford to offer it's customers WiFi internet access for free.

www.vbnets.ie - have prices on equipment and you can look up the sharable ADSL (uncapped) costs from ESAT/EIRCOM ..

So excluding overheads (eg: billing software) & profiteering then you would only need one or two customers per day to break even.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Where exactly are the o2 hotspots?
    I read recently that BT have hotspots all over Brighton beach promenade...pretty sweet....apart from the risk of getting sand inside yer laptop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

http://www1.o2.ie/business/business_on_the_move/wireless_zone

mainly dublin hotels - and heuston station. you can also get it from outside o2's office in baggot st, and in their shop in grafton st. don't think you can get it at dollymount strand or on the beach at bray though ... :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.irishwan.org
    www.irishwan.org/board
    www.dublinwan.org

Work out how much you intend to pay in internet access.
    'cos if you have BB at home then the one-time setup costs of linking in to the WAN and tunneling back to your existing BB might be less than paying for a month or two of Hotspot...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Relkcew
    I just found out that The Front Lounge and Globe (George's Street) are running free trials at the moment...

I'll have to bring my laptop with me on Sunday when I'm in The Globe for the jazz session; so I can look cool in the company of the beautiful people.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Relkcew

Thanks!

I found out that there's a trial one in the Mespil Hotel as well! (Free for the moment, I think...)

And I see that Vodafone announced during the week that it would build 50 hotspots in "sports clubs, hotels" and somehting else...

Advertisement