Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff plays a stormer on debut

• 25-07-2003 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Duff came on the pitch with 30 minutes to go against Malaysia. It was 1-1 when he came on but not for long. He set up Hasslebaink for a great strike. Then a few minutes later he flew by a Malaysian to cross in a smashing ball for Gudjohnson to head in. Before that he had a super shot saved from about 30 yards out and he also had a close shot saved near the end. All in all, a superb start for the Duffer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Great performance by duff.
    Definitely money well spent on chelsea's part.
    Let's hope the he settles and the team gel's as a whole.
    It'll make the premiership a bit more exciting for people like myself, who don't support any particular team, but enjoy watching a good match.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Chelsea are goin to be a team to watch for sure! they've gotten strongerin in attack(Duff) and defence(bridge) shud make for an interesting season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

I think if Chelsea gel quickly they will be a force in the Premiership and from the match against Malaysia it seems they have. It just shows how much quality Duff can bring to a team and I think he'll prove that he's worth £17M.And Johnson scored a header aswell, it seems Chelsea have been spending wisely

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Brian O'Leary

ya just a pity united never got him

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

lets hope they play him on the left the whole season, cant wait to see him running at defenders in the champions league, which will be great for ireland.

he looked knackered after about 5 mins though but then he always looks like that.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

just to make a correction, duffer flew by TWO malaysians to set up a superb cross

Chelsea should be able to make a real title challenge next season, manu have lost beckham, keane hasnt been playing at his best for a while now, giggs is also aging... The dominators will most likely be Chelsea, Newcastle, Arsenal and Liverpool in a few seasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Steve_o
    bridge shud make for an interesting season!
    I really cant see Bridge making an impact this season.
    lets hope they play him on the left the whole season
    He played more behind the front two last night than on the left wing. He knows whats good for him and he knows how to threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

on a few occasions did go central his link up play with Bridge and Eidur and JFh was superb. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

yeah he did v. well, but hes wal;king wounded, and a marked man.
    Dont think chelsea will do that well, go sdown the same lines as newcastle, blackburn and all the other "buy buy" solution teams

The difference is CFC aren't buying merceneries are buying players with PL, expereince, Duff has had his injury problems but so does Kewell.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Blackburn are hardly a "buy buy" team, isnt thier highest transfer fee something like 9mill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Seaneh
    Blackburn are hardly a "buy buy" team, isnt thier highest transfer fee something like 9mill...
    A few years ago Blackburn spent a load on transfers, they ended up winning the league, the next season and they were relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

yep...but you cant bang a couple of quality players together and say there ye are lads...dont know if chelsea have good groundwork for champiunship race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They hardly went crazy on the transfers, infact, they sold Sutton and Shearer the season after that did they not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

Duff did indeed play a stormer, and chelsea do indeed have a very powerful left side now, but right side of the pitch, they still look a little shakey - but looking at Arsenal and Man UTD can you realy see the two being properly threatened.... I mean Glen Johnson for Chelsea is the equivelant of Rio for UTD and Sol for Arsenal, and Wayne Bridge for Chelsea, Silveste for UTD and the excellent Ashley Cole for Arsenal, but Duff is by far the super-summer signing in europe, I mean Beckham to Real is a bit of a sticky subject, but Duff has by far found a good home at Chelsea, and I think everyone in Ireland, S.London and most in europe will like to watch him this season, but I think Chelsea wont have any premiership success for maybe a couple of seasons. If anyone can remember a few years back, Lazio were taken over by a rich crowd, spent alot of money on super players (i.e Mendieta, Nedved, Veron, Salas, Kovacavic, Negro, Nest - to name a few) and didn't make a big enough impact! The Domestic super-stars (AC and Juve) still got the goods, and I think the premiership will be the same. Money can buy players, but it cant buy success, and Chelsea will need to work very hard to keep themselves in contention for silver.....

as I stated before CFC havent signed merceneries.:) thats the difference between the spending Lazio did and CFC so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

heh mercenaries? :) They were alot of talented individuals, but it didn't work out - plus they had too many players (Midfield of Mendieta, Veron, Simeone, Stankovic etc. etc.)

anyway, point of this thread is Duff played a stormer, not Lazio's past problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

Originally posted by Eron
    Glen Johnson for Chelsea is the equivelant of Rio for UTD and Sol for Arsenal, and Wayne Bridge for Chelsea, Silveste for UTD and the excellent Ashley Cole for Arsenal, but Duff is by far the super-summer signing in europe

John Terry is Rio Ferdinands and Sol Campbells equivilant, Johnson is a right-back. Ashley Cole is good but hes not a good defender. But I agree Duff is an excellent singing and will indeed prove his worth. But Chelsea are ready to compete, they finished fourth last year and beat good teams along the way. In fact I think Chelsea may be a real threat next season. And I think if clubs underestimate them they will be punished.

Advertisement