Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BellX1 vs Damien Rice

Options
  • 25-07-2003 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Well with Damien Rice poping up on US tv (fairplay to him)and Bell X1 having a new album out(which is brilliant!) i felt it my duty/an excuse to bring this issue to the fore- bellx1 or damien rice..which is better-(in particular on singing slowset).Now they both have their strenghts,and weakness's -bellx1 are creative and innovative yet still retaining the emotional intensity that in my view challenges even thom yorke at his best where as damien rice brings an emotional fragility to the songs fuelling them with his seemingly genuine love of the music and the songs..ANYWAY enough of the bull**** who do ye like best- personally id pick bellx1 any day sorry damien:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

No contest.

Damien Rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Hmmm, a choice between Dodi "I'm oh so tormented, but a pretty weak singer with **** lyrics" Ma Vs. his former backing band, who are incredibly middle of the road.

My vote goes to Richie Kavanagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭nuvolari

personally prefer bell X1, i think they have a bit more variety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

battle of the mediocre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    battle of the mediocre

Not everyone can be as talented & widely appreciated & respected as you are, now can they?

Oh wait. Was thinking about someone else there. Sorry. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

The Rice...no contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

damien is unbelieveably talented&really pours himself into songs&can really get his meanings across&his music is so beautiful.

...but the same can be said of bellx1, and they still manage to rock, which i dont think damo's really got the hang of yet to tell u the truth..

bellx1 all the way

does everyone have to be the supreme grand master at their craft in order to criticise?

obviously so.

Damien has a few good songs. And these are the same songs he has been playing for 3 - 4 years. Some of us have moved on and up.

He'll never be an elliot smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

Well, Damien Rice's lyrics are awful, and the songs are nice if a little meh. Bell X1 are just yer average run of the mill indie band. I'd have to go for Damien rice though, if only for the beautiful cello parts on the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Listen lads and lassies - I have my opinion but frankly this is silly, to a degree.

Yiz are compare-din appils an ordangiz there.

A band and a soloist. Both have merits which the other doesn't. It don't work.

But musically speaking I'd prefer Bellx1. Although Damien is a very good songwriter. But I don't fancy his jumpers all that much. And he's too small. I find that unsettling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭T.B.L.

yes this is silly but- damien rice.

www.beautifullosers.info

dear me,
    we had to play bellx1 on the radio show today

i was so embarassed.

i'd definatly play damien rice over them any day.

Bellx1 don't rate at all.. worse even than the thrills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

I like cheese better because a toasted chalk sandwich
    just tastes like you're eating southern england's countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 clintron

Id have to say bell x 1.I did really like damien rice and do still to a degree.But he plays the same songs all the time.So id have to say Bell x 1.There new album is fantastic.Only word to describe it.

what would a girl drummer know about music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    He'll never be an elliot smith.

It's fun to point out he obvious.. speaking of which, I'd have to go for damien rice. YAY DAMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

i prefer bell x1. the new album is very good. damien rice is ok, but nothing all that special. but thats not really why i was posting, just wondering ragamuffin, where the "up" is to where u have moved? thats not a swipe, just wondering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

they aren't perticularly good, either of them... Bellx1 seem boring but not as boring as Mr. Rice. but for some reason i'm thinking that Damo may win the contest.. but he'll lose the next one if he doesn't maybe make his music a little more interesting, experiment a little bit perhaps!

Advertisement