Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMESPY and VAT CHARGING

Options
  • 25-07-2003 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Dont know where to put this ,maybe the Mods will find it a proper home.

I received this mail tonight, and to say im a bit concerned is an understatement

"Dear Subscriber,

As many of you are undoubtedly aware, new European Union regulations require online merchants to collect VAT (Value Added Tax) for the sale of "digital goods" and certain other electronic transactions. As of July 1, 2003, we will be collecting VAT on the subscription services sold to our friends in the European Union. This includes both new subscriptions as well as the periodic recharges of existing subscription. For more information on Value Added Tax and its applicability to the Internet, please refer to this helpful guide from the Delegation of the European Commission to the United States:

http://www.eurunion.org/legislat/VATweb.htm

Darren "Dakota" Tabor
    Executive Director, Subscription Services"

Can someone tell me is that Legal, i mean after all the stuff about EBay and all?

thx in advance.

Carnate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Carnate
    Can someone tell me is that Legal, i mean after all the stuff about EBay and all?
    Unfortunately yes. Can't remember the exact regulation (I try to avoid all things legal where possible these days) but they did introduce it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

So we have to pay 21% vat now on internet purchases, smells of EU money making scheme!

Whats next Tax on Pron viewing,

What they have already!!
    Arrrrghh Bankruptcy!!

Seriously this is just a step too FAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So we have to pay 21% vat now on internet purchases, smells of EU money making scheme!
    No, just an anti-avoidance measure. Or do you belong to a Haugheyesque band of tax evaders?

With on-line auction houses VAT is mostly be only applied to the commission fee, not on the total price (unless buying from a commercial seller).

Originally posted by Victor
    No, just an anti-avoidance measure. Or do you belong to a Haugheyesque band of tax evaders?

I think you missed the point there, the whole idea to online shopping was that you found the best price and then purchased it, now the best price is + Vat at 21% which i may add is the highest in Europe, as to your haugheyesque comment,
    A little thought before you type may be in order!

Play catch up my dear man!

:) :ninja:

• Advertisement

also thx Dahamsta,

very good url.. shame its lost on me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No problem Carnate, but you're missing the point yourself. The U.S. has had a moratorium on tax on goods purchased over the Internet for the past five years or so, which is intended to promote electronic commerce. Europe decided not to go down this route and in hindsight this might not have been the best decision, but it's too late to change now. Ultimately though, America's tax policy is detrimental to European traders and Europe needed to do something to protect itself. This was the only real option available to them. It's a stupid policy following on from a questionable policy, but there's very little else they could do.

adam

K, thats the best answer i could get, unlike some other poster here,

Thats all i wanted was a good reson for that, and as usual you have given it to me the PROPER way!

Penny Drops!

hur hur!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

You mean the Cent drops Carnate?..no?.:)
    Nemesis.

Waves.. Nemmy!!! Long Time Bro!!

oh yeah

Political correctness,

Hur Hur!!

• Advertisement

I think you missed the point there, the whole idea to online shopping was that you found the best price and then purchased it, now the best price is + Vat at 21%
    Let us say I run a high street shop and sell product X for €121, why should someone else be able to sell it for €100, simply by avoiding / evading the tax.
    Vat at 21% which i may add is the highest in Europe,
    Get your facts right VAT varies up to 25%.
    A little thought before you type may be in order!
    Likewise.
    Play catch up my dear man!
    You would appear to be the one playing catch up.

Victor ;Registered: Dec 2000

i think not :)

Sooooooo easy .. i still got it!

Nuff Said!

Victor ;Registered: Dec 2000 i think not :) Sooooooo easy .. i still got it! Nuff Said!
    Do you have an actual problem with me or are you just here to engage in off-topic flaming.

Originally posted by Victor

No just making a point! You seem to know all the answers when you can put me in a catagorey, and you dont even know me, or maybe your just to easy to string along.

Back to you.

Advertisement