Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Failure

Options
  • 25-07-2003 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Not sure if I'm on the right board, but can't really see anything more suitable. (Mods please move if incorrect)

A friend of mine has just been on to me to tell me his hard drive has packed up.

All I know about his machine is the following:

Dell Dimension (Built around DEC 98)
    333 Mhz
    64Mb Ram
    Approx 6 Gb hard disk
    Windows 98

He has a backup of anything important and isn't too pushed about recovering data, but he wants me to try and get a new hard drive for him.

What type of drive will suit him or will todays drives still be compatible? I presume it's an IDE, but maybe somebody could confirm this for me??

Also, are there any other issues that could affect the choice?

Hoping you can help me out here guys

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

dont worry
    just get anything aslong as its 3.5 inch and IDE
    you should be safe enough getting just about any size :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Great.

Thanks a million. Just wasn't sure if the newer drives would need faster processors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Some older BIOS versions have issues with large capacity drives - that can be fixed with a bios update usually or if it's not the primary drive win2k/xp will pick it up even if the BIOS has ignored it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Well he's probably going to go for a 30 or 40Gig drive and reinstall Windows 98

Do you think that should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Should do, the BIOS issues I'd encountered were with old slot-1 P2 boards and 80Gb HDDs. Have a look up on the manufacturers website - the updates will tell you what problems they resolve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement