Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best book for beginners

• 25-07-2003 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

As an Irish astronomer I spend more time looking at words about stars rather than at the stars themselves. I've easily spent as much, if not more, on books, magazines, charts and maps than I have on optical equipment. I have a fairly large selection of beginners books, and I often wonder, if I had to give just one to a budding amateur, which one would it be?
    Definitely not one by Patrick Moore. I honestly can't understand the veneration that is heaped on this man. Maybe it's 'cos I grew up in two channel land so I never saw TSaN until I was in my twenties. Either way, his books Stargazing and Exploring the Universe with Binoculars are terrible. These are two books guaranteed to put people off.
    I was going to bait people by complaining about the graphics in these books, or lack thereof, and await the chorus of 'but you don't buy it for the pictures' and guffaw smugly.
    OF COURSE YOU BUY IT FOR THE FRICKIN' PICTURES!!! Astronomy is a visual hobby. Seeing shots of what's out there, even though you know your 'scope will only approximate what's in the picture, is better than a sterile oval marking the sweeping majesty of M31.
    Anyway, that's my little rant. Back to the topic in hand. What's the best book for beginners? My vote is split between Nightwatch by Terence Dickinson or Guide to the Night Sky by David Levy. Both excellent books. How about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I haven't read NightwatchbutGuide to the Night Sky is an excellent start for anybody who is new to the hobby. Agree r.e. your comments on the pictures:) :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Astronomy for Dummies is a good all rounder... got that a few weeks ago. Being written in 99 its out of date a little but its good enough and great for beginners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I'd recommend "The Backyard Astronomers Guide", by Dickinson and Dyer - it's the follow up to "Nightwatch", which was written by Dickenson and as someone who is starting to take astronomy more seriously and understand the best ways of doing things, it seems like a really great book with lots of advice - how to select a scope, how to set up for astrophotography, how to find objects, how to navigate the sky, all that sort of thing. And some of the photos these guys have taken are fantastic, especially as a lot of them have been done on amateur equipment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

I dont think there is a best book for beginners. You need to get a book tied to your interest.

If for example you have jst got binoculars, then the `what to see with binoculars` books are best. Similarly for folks with a new telescope. A planesphere is also a great help in learning whats what and where. Anything that gives you a decent chart of the constellations and the main feature in them should suffice.

However if youre interested in learning about astronomy, and how the solar system, galaxies etc. work, what the planets are like etc. etc. Then I'd advise just going and getting a textbook. Many of these dont assume much scientific or mathematical knowledge to get a lot out of them. Universe (6th ed), is one of the better books in this category. Yes its a university textbook, but fairly readable and a good reference.

Cheers,
    ~Al

Advertisement